Group Ride from Northern VA/Wash DC area (WMA) to EOM?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon T

Reaction score
I missed last year, but fully intend to make it this year. I intend to ride, and I'm hoping to convince my wife to drive down separately, participate in a few rides and entertain herself during my solo rides.

I'm in Reston, and see from the map that there are several of us in the "washington Metro Area" (WMA). I have no problem riding alone, but it could be way more fun to ride with a few others. Using mapquest, I figured from Reston it's about 6+ hours via I-81. While I might do that in one leg on the way home, I think I'd like to take some back roads over 2 leisurely days on the way down (possibly to include Skyline drive, but I'm not firm on that).

I need to see the details (lodging is important, cuz mrs likes her comforts--and so do i, truth be told) and need to get time off from work, but that should be the easy part, barring some major crisis.

I'm no leader, but happy to collect names of those interested in trying to travele together and coordinate departure times, routes, etc.

Jon

I may be going this year, so add me to your list of potential buds. Also, lemme know if you'd like to get a group of FJR folks together for a day ride some weekend to get acquainted.

I most likely can't make the EOM. But I'd be up for a local ride, given some advanced notice for planning it with the wife (got four kids 6 and under).

Depending on your route & timing, I might be interested in catching up with ya'll. I'm not going to make the ride into town in 2 days though. I will keep an eye here & see what develops, Heidi

Jon,

I just made plans for my wife and I to ride down to Natural Bridge, Va. and stay overnight there on Wed 9/16

If that works for you your more than welcome to tag along.

From there I planned to travel some of the Blue Ridge Parkway, on our way down on Thursday.

My wife and I get on the road around 9-9:30.

The route South I plan on using is around 285 miles and about 6hrs. Letting us

arrive around 4-4:30 with meal and gas stops.

Rooms at the Natural Bridge Hotel are around $85 a night.

Heidi, you want to catch up with us here on Thur morning?

Anyway I hope to see everyone there.

Chuck

Chuck, I haven't looked at it in awhile, but pretty sure that it's a 400+ mile ride to JoCy if I rode straight thru. I'd really like to take the fun route, but that'd probably be too far out for me to go.

THanks for the invitation, though. Much appreciation,

Heidi

I missed last year, but fully intend to make it this year. I intend to ride, and I'm hoping to convince my wife to drive down separately, participate in a few rides and entertain herself during my solo rides.
I'm in Reston, and see from the map that there are several of us in the "washington Metro Area" (WMA). I have no problem riding alone, but it could be way more fun to ride with a few others. Using mapquest, I figured from Reston it's about 6+ hours via I-81. While I might do that in one leg on the way home, I think I'd like to take some back roads over 2 leisurely days on the way down (possibly to include Skyline drive, but I'm not firm on that).

I need to see the details (lodging is important, cuz mrs likes her comforts--and so do i, truth be told) and need to get time off from work, but that should be the easy part, barring some major crisis.

I'm no leader, but happy to collect names of those interested in trying to travele together and coordinate departure times, routes, etc.

Jon
I'm in Middletown, MD and might be able to make it (haven't worked out the details yet). Done some riding in that area (Roan Mtn. & BRP) and it's a beautiful area. Count me as a "possible"; I'll know more as it gets closer.

Lorie and I are going to head down there on Fri and return Mon. I'm riding and Lorie is driving. Will keep an eye out here for updates.

I'm interested in going from the Northern Virginia area. 2 weeks ago I drove to Deals Gap, slayed the Dragon and back in 3 days. 1,300 miles roundtrip. I'll keep an eye out for further details here.

One day trip kind of guy.
And I'm not laying on the side of the road this year while I wait for the group!
Good lord, you couldn't of waited more than 25 minutes if that. You do realize that was an honest mistake, right? And you do realize that those folks that you rode with last year read this forum, right? Perhaps you "should" find another group of folks to ride with if your tolerance is that friggin' low.

Sheesh, some people!

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy Luvtoride, it was meant as a joke. Actually I was talking about the incident with the Fire Trucks and the Police officers. Also, I was there too early!

Definitely didn't come across as a joke.

Regardless, have a good ride into Jo Cy. There's some good riding in that neck of the woods.

OK, well since I started this thread, I guess I'd better provide an update.

I made my hotel reservations for Friday and Saturday night at the Holiday Inn.

I'll head out from Reston some time Thursday morning, over night somewhere Thursday night, then arrive Johnson City (JC) sometime Friday. The details of all of that depend on whether I'm solo or with others. I'm open to suggestions.

If I were doing the trip by myself, I'd head out of Northern VA after a decent b'fast hitting the road about 0900. I'd head west and probably head for Skyline Drive, then work my way to the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP, which I've only heard about) then head south toward southern VA. Maybe overnight in Roanoke? After a nice night's sleep in a motel 6 or similar and b'fast, continue on BRP and other back roads to JC.

If alone, I might push thru to try to join up with a mid day "friday ride". If with others (or if I have figured out a plan between now and September), I'll ride that plan and hook up with the rest later Friday afternoon/evening.

So, after that, does anyone have any ideas or comments?

OK, well since I started this thread, I guess I'd better provide an update.
I made my hotel reservations for Friday and Saturday night at the Holiday Inn.

I'll head out from Reston some time Thursday morning, over night somewhere Thursday night, then arrive Johnson City (JC) sometime Friday. The details of all of that depend on whether I'm solo or with others. I'm open to suggestions.

If I were doing the trip by myself, I'd head out of Northern VA after a decent b'fast hitting the road about 0900. I'd head west and probably head for Skyline Drive, then work my way to the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP, which I've only heard about) then head south toward southern VA. Maybe overnight in Roanoke? After a nice night's sleep in a motel 6 or similar and b'fast, continue on BRP and other back roads to JC.

If alone, I might push thru to try to join up with a mid day "friday ride". If with others (or if I have figured out a plan between now and September), I'll ride that plan and hook up with the rest later Friday afternoon/evening.

So, after that, does anyone have any ideas or comments?
The Parkway's a great ride; I plan to ride it at least twice this year, maybe more. As I remember, I didn't see any motels right off the BRP in the Roanoke area; most are across town in the I81 corridor. There is a great lodge, Peaks of Otter, at mile 85, about 15 miles north of Roanoke. Below Roanoke, there's the Blue Ridge Motel in Meadows of Dan (where Rt. 58 crosses the BRP). At Fancy Gap (mile 199), there's an older mom 'n pop motel (Mtn. View) right off the Parkway with a restaurant across the street. Two miles down the hill, at the intersection of Rt. 148 and I77, is a Days Inn (no restaurant on site). 40 miles further (mile 240), at Doughton Park, is Bluff's Lodge and at mile 248 (Laurel Springs) is Station's Inn, very bike oriented motel & restaurant. If you're riding the BRP to Johnson City, you'll probably want to get off at Asheville and head north on I26, in which case you'll miss the most spectacular part, from Asheville to Cherokee. I've gotten addicted to riding the BRP; been doing it every chance I've had since 1996. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Jon T

I would like to try to join you/group. Like you I missed last year, due to just acquiring my FJR on Sept 15, 08. I am very much looking forward to attending this year, so much so, I want to spend a little more time. I was considering leaving Wednesday, and making it a two day ride much like you have outlined. This would allow a full day at EOM on Friday. I definately want to stay off I-81 as much as possible and in doing so that 6+ hours you mentioned could easily turn into 10+. If you leave Thursday and stay off the major highways, you may not have much left for any type of ride Friday. My wife has expressed an interest in going but I think she believes we are trailering the bike down. :lol: Do you think the wives would be up to driving together? They may have to pass the "compatibility test" first! Let me know if you'd consider leaving Wednesday although I am flexible. Also let me know if you're planning any day rides, we can hook up in the near future.

Jon T
I would like to try to join you/group. Like you I missed last year, due to just acquiring my FJR on Sept 15, 08. I am very much looking forward to attending this year, so much so, I want to spend a little more time. I was considering leaving Wednesday, and making it a two day ride much like you have outlined. This would allow a full day at EOM on Friday. I definately want to stay off I-81 as much as possible and in doing so that 6+ hours you mentioned could easily turn into 10+. If you leave Thursday and stay off the major highways, you may not have much left for any type of ride Friday. My wife has expressed an interest in going but I think she believes we are trailering the bike down. :lol: Do you think the wives would be up to driving together? They may have to pass the "compatibility test" first! Let me know if you'd consider leaving Wednesday although I am flexible. Also let me know if you're planning any day rides, we can hook up in the near future.
Since this thread started, the wife learned that work will keep her from participating, so I'll be traveling solo.

I'm open to a Wednesday start. It is probably early enough to change my hotel reservation to include Thursday night. I was thinking of changing the single king I requested to two beds to have the option of sharing (a buddy is on the fence now, but if the stars align would join). **update: I went ahead and changed my arrival to Thurs, and have 2 queen beds.

I hope to ride this Sunday. Not having kids, and Sunday promising to be the driest day in probably a month, I'm hoping to go out and test the new Scala rider intercom system I bought, but have not yet used. (I'm not tempted to try a phone call on my bike--cell phones and drivers are a pet peeve of mine--but do want to be able to communicate with the mrs when she's sitting behind me. If not this week, then I'll keep you in mind when I ride. (most of my riding is commuting. I vowed that I'd do more fun riding this year.)

PM me some time, if I don't PM you first.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

I am in the Northern VA also (Manassas). I would bypass Skyline drive and the BRP heading to EOM. If I remember correctly, Skyline drive is 35 mph and BRP is 45 mpg. Coming back from Bedford VA on 43 I saw the BPR and did it and continued on SLD to Front Royal (and then Rt 55) and then back home. It took the better part of a day and without question was really nice. BUT you guys are in easy striking distance of SLD and BRP. I suggest getting down the road and then doing BRP starting at Roanoke or beyond. You can always do the SLD/BRP up this way. Just my 2 cents.

On the positive side, it will definately be cooler up there. You can't really ride hard up there cause I hear the tickets are impressive. I think I was running +5 and there was little traffic and will do it again for sure.

I am riding down on Thursday and hope to make it in a day (easy). Headed back on Monday morning. I am riding with a buddy and I think the plan is to slab it most of the way to get there. If anyone wants to tag along, let me know.

And I think we need to form an informal group of FJR riders in this area so there is a possibility of a group of 2 or 3 or 4 heading to WV for a day of riding. I ran 211 from Warrenton to New Market thinking this would satisfy me, but it didn't.

Art