Group Ride from Northern VA/Wash DC area (WMA) to EOM?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in! I was planning on leaving Thursday or Friday morning, no real plans yet, but was thinking about going down 29 and cutting over to the BRP around Roanoke or just jumping on 81 and slabbing it to JC. I'm also interested in doing some riding with anyone who wants to get together for some weekend rides. I live out near the Front Royal so let me know if anyone is interested.

Thought I'd provide an update since I started this thread. I can't hit the road from Reston VA until Thursday morning. Want to take "the scenic route" via Skyline and Blue Ridge Parkway, so no way I can make it in one day. I will not make my original Thursday evening arrival. New ETA to JC is Friday afternoon.

I now expect to get to Roanoke, VA on Thursday evening, then Johnson City some time Friday afternoon. (If I recall, google maps estimates 5 hours to Roanoke, and another 5 to JC via the backroads.)

Aside from the JC reservation, I don't have any fixed waypoint on the way down. I'm counting on being able to make a last minute decision based on the condition of my butt and the position of the sun.

Really looking forward to this trip.

Jon

I am game for a group ride down. I can leave Thursday morning and make it in 1 day or take 2 days to get down there either one is fine with me.

I live in Silver Spring, MD and can make it to NoVa in 30 mins or less. Just let me know.

Ok I'm in and very excited. We will be leaving Monrovia Thursday morning and heading down to the Smith Mountain Lake area or a little further for the first leg. We will hit JC Friday and meet up with everyone. Mama wants to go to Danville for the MC races on Sunday. I think taking RT29 south through va would be sweet. PM me if you are interested!!!! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just moved my plans back one day based on the weather forecast. I am taking a week off and hope I'll get some better weather on the backside of the trip. Since I am now leaving Thursday, it appears that I'm more likely to find some fellow travelers. I'm leaving Southern Maryland Thurday AM, over the Harry Nice Bridge (301) south, then thru Fredericksburg, Orange, Charlottesville, Lynchburg to Roanoke. Staying in Roanoke Thursday night, and Friday will take the Blue Ridge Parkway until I need to turn west to JC TN.

Roanoke may be a good meeting place for those of us on this thread. It appears that BlueRidgeFJR, JonT, Stonewall, Koolbeans and Aviator have a similar itinerary so let's come up with a meeting place and time Friday morning in Roanoke and ride the parkway together. (BlueridgeFJR, since you're more local, you may be able to coordinate the meeting place and time (breakfast?))

By the way, a meeting place in Roanoke may work for those traveling from other areas as well, since it's so close to Rt. 81, that want to ride the parkway down on Friday.

I hope to be staying in the area Thursday night so I'll keep an eye on this post to see if there is a place and time to meet up. Does anyone want to meet up on Thursday and head down Rt29? Maybe we can meet in Leesburg or what other routes are people taking?

OK, well since I started this thread, I guess I'd better provide an update.
I made my hotel reservations for Friday and Saturday night at the Holiday Inn.

I'll head out from Reston some time Thursday morning, over night somewhere Thursday night, then arrive Johnson City (JC) sometime Friday. The details of all of that depend on whether I'm solo or with others. I'm open to suggestions.

If I were doing the trip by myself, I'd head out of Northern VA after a decent b'fast hitting the road about 0900. I'd head west and probably head for Skyline Drive, then work my way to the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP, which I've only heard about) then head south toward southern VA. Maybe overnight in Roanoke? After a nice night's sleep in a motel 6 or similar and b'fast, continue on BRP and other back roads to JC.

If alone, I might push thru to try to join up with a mid day "friday ride". If with others (or if I have figured out a plan between now and September), I'll ride that plan and hook up with the rest later Friday afternoon/evening.

So, after that, does anyone have any ideas or comments?
Jon,

Rick , here in Herndon. We traded info early on about this ride. Unfortunately, I can't make it this year either. Keep me posted of other rides you may want to take this fall and maybe we can roundup some local locals and do a some mini FJR rides.

RR

I will be leaving King George around 3 P.M. on friday and plan to slab it down to JC. If there is anyone leaving that late and would like to ride together let me know.

I will be leaving King George around 3 P.M. on friday and plan to slab it down to JC. If there is anyone leaving that late and would like to ride together let me know.
Cant make it but ride safe.....Im also leading another ride on Oct 3 to Rehoboth Beach from Fairfax, VA with a stop in Annapolis to pick up riders. The web site is here" https://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page.adp?item_id=104756

Im going to post in Rides so I dont hijack this thread.

Safe Riding.

RR

Roanoke may be a good meeting place for those of us on this thread. It appears that BlueRidgeFJR, JonT, Stonewall, Koolbeans and Aviator have a similar itinerary so let's come up with a meeting place and time Friday morning in Roanoke and ride the parkway together. (BlueridgeFJR, since you're more local, you may be able to coordinate the meeting place and time (breakfast?))

By the way, a meeting place in Roanoke may work for those traveling from other areas as well, since it's so close to Rt. 81, that want to ride the parkway down on Friday.

We would be glad to ride down with somebody, although we are not up for the Parkway, twice as long twice as wet if it rains. The Parkway is a great ride, but it is our local riding spot we do often. We will be stopping at Cracker Barrel at the intersection of 81 & 220N "at the truck stops" at 10:00 to 10:30 AM. We will be hitting 81 to JC, with a stop or two on the way.

So there it is the spot to meet. "Since we are the locals :rolleyes: "

See ya at Cracker Barrel or JC

Wow. After a long time of inaction, a flurry of messages. In the interim, my itinerary has shifted somewhat. I'm all for taking 29 down instead of Skyline (as pretty as skyline can be, it makes for a long day). I think Roanoke remains a decent midway point.

I still plan to take BRP most of the way (prob to rt 58?) with the idea that if the weather sucks bailing to 81 and heading straight to JC. Cracker Barrel is a good suggestion, but I think I'll need an earlier start--by an hour? to give me time to enjoy the sights along the BRP. (my first time) On the other hand if that leaves enough time, 10 works for me.

Meeting up in the Leesburg or Warrenton area to head south makes sense to me.

I have Pincher's number and will reach out separately. If interested and know of a good meeting place in Leesburg or Warrenton please chime in. I won't be able to check the computer/email again until this evening.

wooo hooo!

Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you all. We changed plans and stayed at Smith Mountain Lake and then hit VIR for the races. I sure hope everyone had a great time and a safe trip home. I'm bummed we had to bail but 3hours of rain coming down RT29 and that was just enough. I hope to meet up for some fall riding.

Take Care,

Keith and Terry

Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you all. We changed plans and stayed at Smith Mountain Lake and then hit VIR for the races. I sure hope everyone had a great time and a safe trip home. I'm bummed we had to bail but 3hours of rain coming down RT29 and that was just enough. I hope to meet up for some fall riding.Take Care,

Keith and Terry
Yes, I've been trying not to think about it. I did not make it at all. However, I did get out for bit to break in my new tires and see how the new sync and idle adjustment worked. I put P2s on and had Avons. So far, Im imperessed with the tires. The engine sync was way off and now that its on, what a difference.

Hope VIR was fun. I did a CLASS track day their last year. That was a great learning experience..

Ill post some rides to you as they come on the screen. I have not been out much this summer so Im looking to get in some good riding until its too cold or too many deer.

RR