GSX-R1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... The 1000 is definitely more than I "need" ...
Huh? I'm sorry?? No espeak da ingles? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Dude, man-up. You can NEVER have too much power. Once you get used to a little, you will want a little more. Then a little more...

-BD

[These are my "Just sitting" comparisons and real life may be something different but I have spoken with several people that find sport bike more comfortable than the fjr style seating position.
I'm not saying that some people don't prefer a full-on sportbike riding position to a sport-touring riding position for different missions (I own both an FJR and an R6), but sorry, I just can't buy that you're going to solve the problem of too much weight on your arms by going from an FJR to a Gixxer.

A Gixxer is hell on the arms and back for long periods, but if you're in good shape, flexible, etc. and you're riding at speed, it can be completely comfy and it pays advantages in less aero resistance, more weight on the front end, and better bike control. But there is no free lunch.

Yes, sitting for 45 seconds in a showroom and riding for eight hours are two entirely different things. Also sounds like some of the FJR's problems might be solved with bar or seat changes.

Sounds like you've made up your mind. Go for it, but I'm unsure why you're asking for comments then. If you truly want my comment, here it is: bad idea. But everybody should own a literbike sportbike at some point in their riding career, and this looks like a good excuse.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's something strange. I hate the position of the GSX-R, 10R, CBR1000RR and the Ducs, but I find the ZZR, Hayabusa and R1 to be very similar and actually quite comfortable.

There are many many people who cannot sit upright and prefer to be more leaned over. Remember everyone is different.

-r

Last edited by a moderator:
[These are my "Just sitting" comparisons and real life may be something different but I have spoken with several people that find sport bike more comfortable than the fjr style seating position.
I'm not saying that some people don't prefer a full-on sportbike riding position to a sport-touring riding position for different missions (I own both an FJR and an R6), but sorry, I just can't buy that you're going to solve the problem of too much weight on your arms by going from an FJR to a Gixxer.

A Gixxer is hell on the arms and back for long periods, but if you're in good shape, flexible, etc. and you're riding at speed, it can be completely comfy and it pays advantages in less aero resistance, more weight on the front end, and better bike control. But there is no free lunch.

Yes, sitting for 45 seconds in a showroom and riding for eight hours are two entirely different things. Also sounds like some of the FJR's problems might be solved with bar or seat changes.

Sounds like you've made up your mind. Go for it, but I'm unsure why you're asking for comments then. If you truly want my comment, here it is: bad idea. But everybody should own a literbike sportbike at some point in their riding career, and this looks like a good excuse.

- Mark
Mark,

That's just it, I have done 2 seats so far on the fjr.

I have done 3 different sets of risers.

Changed grips, and while the fjr will work for me if I do keep it I stayed away from pure sport bikes just for these reasons and I still have them even with the fjr.

So it is kind of like I didn't get the comfort I was after for a loss in some of the other things I was looking for.

I do appreciate your comments. If I just kept restating what you were saying how would I get more thoughts.

Thanks

Here's something strange. I hate the position of the GSX-R, 10R, CBR1000RR and the Ducs, but I find the ZZR, Hayabusa and R1 to be very similar and actually quite comfortable.
There are many many people who cannot sit upright and prefer to be more leaned over. Remember everyone is different.

-r
I haven't sat on the 3 you mention so I maybe I will.

I do appreciate your comments. If I just kept restating what you were saying how would I get more thoughts.
I wouldn't need a whole lot of excuses to try a Gixxer. You know your existing bike isn't working, so while the Gixxer might not be the one, it's unlikely to be worse than the FJR. Personally, if I was getting one today, I'd go for the 750 though - everybody raves that it is the bike with just the right balance.

Might sit/ride an FZ1 too.

Good luck,

- Mark

let me see if I untsrestood...you say an FJR is unconfortable?

You wanna try a GSX instead?

I have them both and the FJR is a 500 mile-a-day bike vs the GSX is a 20 minute bike before you need painkillers!!!

Unless you have really long arms!!

THere's no way ANY bike in the world is more comfortable yet powerfull than the FJR....proof is that we have owr own friggin forum!!! :bleh:

let me see if I untsrestood...you say an FJR is unconfortable?You wanna try a GSX instead?

I have them both and the FJR is a 500 mile-a-day bike vs the GSX is a 20 minute bike before you need painkillers!!!

Unless you have really long arms!!

THere's no way ANY bike in the world is more comfortable yet powerfull than the FJR....proof is that we have owr own friggin forum!!! :bleh:
Perfect example of how people are different.

I have ridden Harleys all day and yes at the end of the day I was sore but I did it on a stock rented Harley.

On my FJR stock when I first got it after only 15 minutes my butt bone was on fire and my right hand was so dead I couldn't even take the key out.

So if I were to make a comparison from stock to stock bike I would not say the fjr was the most comfortable bike I ever sat on.

I can also point you to numerous guys who bought the fjr and switched to the st and like the st better for comfort and other issues. Vica-versa also.

I also know people who ride sport bikes everyday and perfer them to standards or even a few that have ridden the fjr.

Point: People are different and I must be one of the ones that the fjr doesn't fit like a glove...

After looking and talking and listening to you guys I will most likely either try to sell my bike on ebay to buy an R1. If I don't get enough money for my fjr I won't sell.

I don't ride long distances as my average ride is only 45 miles. If I am going to be uncomfortable it might as well be on the part of the bike I like about the fjr (SPORT) because the touring part on the fjr isn't there.

Thanks

I've had both,

03 FJR & 01 GSXR 1000 which i have sold to make room for an 06 FJR.

If money is not an issue, i'd own both.

Under 200 miles per day & never thinking of taking a passanger? you can't have more fun than on one of todays liter class sportbikes, but you better have some self control, cause 100 mph+ on one of these things is just into third gear & effortless. As far as compairing them to a Buell you may have tried, forget it, even your FJR's power will seems tame. Hope you can find one that fit's you, I'm sure you will have fun trying. :D

I've had both,03 FJR & 01 GSXR 1000 which i have sold to make room for an 06 FJR.

If money is not an issue, i'd own both.

Under 200 miles per day & never thinking of taking a passanger? you can't have more fun than on one of todays liter class sportbikes, but you better have some self control, cause 100 mph+ on one of these things is just into third gear & effortless. As far as compairing them to a Buell you may have tried, forget it, even your FJR's power will seems tame. Hope you can find one that fit's you, I'm sure you will have fun trying. :D
No passengers ever.

I might some day do a day trip but most days 100 miles with a 8 hour break in between (work).

As I have tried to state before as unbiased as possible my selection of the fjr was for certain reasons that didn't pan out. So to me I might as well have gotten the bike I wanted to start with as I already know I am not going to ride that one 500 miles a day anyway.

The windshield on the fjr to me is a joke. I have to lay on the tank to get any kind of wind protection if you want to compare it to a Gold Wing or Harley ElectraGlide.

If I am on a sport bike already laid down with my head getting the wind that is how I have to ride the fjr now anyway as the windshield with the angle of the front end is not cutting it.

Here is a question some may be able to honestly answer.

Todays 600's some of the dealers think I will get bored of the power and the rpm rev and strongly suggest the liter bike.

Everything I have read says the 600's today are more than enough power.

What do you guys think?

Todays 600's some of the dealers think I will get bored of the power and the rpm rev and strongly suggest the liter bike.

No question todays 600's have more than enough power, But this is America damn it, "Go Big or Go Home" :D

I had a 650 built in 1983. Friends had a Voyager, a Connie, a Vulcan, and a Venture. I could out-run em all. And the best thing about the bike? Less weight. It doesn't always have to be bigger to be a thriller.

Here is a question some may be able to honestly answer.

What do you guys think?
The dealers are blowing smoke up your ass. MSRP is over $2000 more on a 1000 vs. 600, tell me what they'd recommend? There IS the grin factor of the 1000's though. There is nothing like rolling on a 2nd gear wheelie at 75 mph.

If I was spending your money, it would be down to 2 bikes: Hayabusa or the new Kawasaki ZX-14. And, if I'm going to have a big stick, it's going to be the biggest.

Pick your color.

2211_800.jpg

2212_800.jpg

2210_800.jpg

I guess to put an end to all this I am keeping the fjr for now.

Blue book is like $7000 and I know if I sold it outright I could get closer to $10000 but I don't know that I wouldn't end up in the same situation with just a different bike.

So for now I will just stop dreaming and enjoy what I've got.

Thanks to everyones responses I did appreciate all of them..

Then you will want to try and get a set of lower bars. Someone made a set that lowered the bars, and that would place you more like a sportbike and that seems to be the direction you want to go for somfort. Personally, I bought a different saddle. While some found the stocker okay, my, uhm, tender parts were never satisfied.

Someone has also put gel pads under the stodk upholstery. Yep, I know, it shoudl be perfect, but it ain't, so do what you have to do.

I have an FZ6 and have no problem at all with the power. Roll on power in 6th isn't bad at all at highway speed, if you are really in a hurry all you gotta do is downshift and the bike will really sing. I've heard plenty of folks complain that you need to let the rev's get up there to get real performance, I don't see the issue. My advice would be to worry less about what the tach says and just enjoy the ride. It's a nice bike for short trips or for commuting back and forth to work.

When you look at wind protection, the 6 actually rides nicer IMO with the standard windshield. I have both, the bike gets knocked around too much and there is additional turbulence with the tall screen. I only use the tall screen when the weather is really cold.

The handling is great, and the stock seat is such that you can really alter your riding position from up on the tank in town to riding on the wind on the highway, very nice. Still, I don't know that you will find many bikes that are truly comfortable on the long haul but what really is? For the most part, you are gonna have a relatively comfortable ride on just about any bike for the first 50 miles, after that it is what it is. Some folks will talk of how they can comfortably ride 500 miles + a day in relative comfort. The only vehicle I've ever ridden in comfortably for that sort of journey is my 7 passenger extended van :p

I think the FZ6, FZ1, Katana, Interceptor and Sprint are all bikes that you may be happy with. I'd be careful to check on insurance on all of them as well. I know one reason I chose the 6 over the FZ1 was the insurance, the FZ1 was over 2x the FZ6. Actually, the insurance for the FZ6 and FJR combine to the rate I was quoted on the FZ1.

Another thing that is nice about the 6, for me, she'll only pull the front end off the ground in first. The power is very predictable, I don't know about you but me, I like to ride hard but I like to do so with both wheels on the road :p

OH so easy to take exception with this statement...

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my FJR, but if one is looking for a comfortable, powerful bike, don't forget the "Naked Street Bike" class...and if you're measuring fun, quality, power, comfort, long-legs and more, than you need look no further than one of these beasties:

rex.jpg

$7500 out the door new...although no '06s in the US...pop on a $300 Sargent seat, like mine above, and without a single additional mod, you're set for 500 mile days, a bike that will hold its own at track days, gets 40+mpg, will run all day with an FJR, yet leave the FJR in the dust in the twisties.

Drop another $1000 on a full exhaust system and jet kit, 135hp at over 100 pounds less than a Feejer and you're leaving the FJR in the dust in the straights, too. :)

And talking about a forum, www.zrxoa.org is a great place to learn more about a great bike.

I own both bikes and a regular at the ZRXOA forum...I'm qualified to say so. :bleh:

OH so easy to take exception with this statement...

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my FJR, but if one is looking for a comfortable, powerful bike, don't forget the "Naked Street Bike" class...and if you're measuring fun, quality, power, comfort, long-legs and more, than you need look no further than one of these beasties:

rex.jpg

$7500 out the door new...although no '06s in the US...pop on a $300 Sargent seat, like mine above, and without a single additional mod, you're set for 500 mile days, a bike that will hold its own at track days, gets 40+mpg, will run all day with an FJR, yet leave the FJR in the dust in the twisties.

Drop another $1000 on a full exhaust system and jet kit, 135hp at over 100 pounds less than a Feejer and you're leaving the FJR in the dust in the straights, too. :)

And talking about a forum, www.zrxoa.org is a great place to learn more about a great bike.

I own both bikes and a regular at the ZRXOA forum...I'm qualified to say so. :bleh:
See that is the type of comments I like.

THat bike reminds me of my Maxim 550 which I didn't do anything to it and was never uncomfortable. It just didn't have enough power for me.

That just brings back to mind the FZ1's. The riding position and power is right there with your Kaw.

With some lowers on the FZ1 which I have seen it is a sweet bike... HHmmmm!

I was out riding street with a friend who has the yzf600r and while in the twisties he can do much better, on the straights I have so much torque even with letting him go first I would just blow by him. That is why I think I would miss the low torque if I went to a 600. The FZ1 is tempting but I am not going to take a huge hit on resale by taking it to a dealer so unless I put it in the paper and get close to $10,000 I will just keep my fjr.

I'd say go for it.

The GSX-R1000 is a hoot to ride but you need to contain your emotions because they really do get it up and go but that is the fun factor. I do not have one but I have ridden them several times.

I have a 2001 TL1000R that I love and is way fun to ride and I can ride her comfortably for 250 miles or so before I need a break.

When I bought the TL I rode from Chicago to CT in two days and it was not a problem.

The only reason I am buying the FJR is for some long distance riding out west and so my wife can go on some rides with me, she hates riding on the back of the TL.

Even when I have my FJ I'm am quite sure the TL will get the nod for the shorter more spirited rides.

I'd say go for it.The GSX-R1000 is a hoot to ride but you need to contain your emotions because they really do get it up and go but that is the fun factor. I do not have one but I have ridden them several times.

I have a 2001 TL1000R that I love and is way fun to ride and I can ride her comfortably for 250 miles or so before I need a break.

When I bought the TL I rode from Chicago to CT in two days and it was not a problem.

The only reason I am buying the FJR is for some long distance riding out west and so my wife can go on some rides with me, she hates riding on the back of the TL.

Even when I have my FJ I'm am quite sure the TL will get the nod for the shorter more spirited rides.
What do you think about the RC51. A dealer I bought my 2 dirtbikes at has an 03 with all kinds of aftermarket stuff on it that they want $8500 for. It has been there a while.

I noticed some oil on top of the trans though...

I really like the TL, too bad they don't make them anymore...