GT-Air and Sena 10u

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRide

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be upgrading from a Shoei RF1000 with Autocom, Motorola Bike to Bike, Garmin 2730 and Passport Radar, all piped via the 7pin cable into helmet speakers. This was Royalty 10 years ago but BT has come a long way. However, the 2730 is old but just fine for me and has my music on MP3. I also want to keep the talking GPS. It's been very reliable but BT is much simpler and the GT-Air/Sena10u package is calling me....

https://www.sena.com/product/10u/

Has anyone been able to get a BT Adaptor to work with your wired Garmin so I can avoid having to get a BT Garmin?
The 10u is not chargeable while riding since the battery is in the helmet and not on the exterior like the 20 series. Is that a problem?
I've googled lots of reviews on the GT-Air/Sena 10u combo. Any of my FJR peeps have anything to add on the pros and cons re: mic and audio quality, etc.

No, but you may want to try GT-Air on first, before ordering, since they do run just a little on a snug side.

No, but you may want to try GT-Air on first, before ordering, since they do run just a little on a snug side.
But there's some flexibility in the GT-Air, too. For example, you can order replacement cheek pads in different thicknesses.
I got my GT Air at Cycle Gear, and they swapped the cheek pads there for the thinner ones for me. Far and away my favorite helmet.

I have a 10U in my Shoei Neotec and I love it. The controller fits great on the handlebar. I don't see why you couldn't charge it while riding, you just need the right 90 degree usb cable. I usually have a battery pack I that tuck in my touring jacket. Audio quality seems better than my SMH10 and the Phone app helps with setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 10U in my Shoei Neotec and I love it. The controller fits great on the handlebar. I don't see why you couldn't charge it while riding, you just need the right 90 degree usb cable. I usually have a battery pack I that tuck in my touring jacket. Audio quality seems better than my SMH10 and the Phone app helps with setup.
So no issues with the left of center mic position?

BTW, What Sena would you install in the passenger helmet for just intercom and sharing music?

So no issues with the left of center mic position?

BTW, What Sena would you install in the passenger helmet for just intercom and sharing music?
No the mic is better than a SMH10 wired mic or a 20s Boom mic hands down IMO. I think the 20s and the 10u have music sharing, i bought the 10u cause I wanted my helmet to not have a unit on the side of it. Sena just released a new wrist band remote for passenger units. Heres a link.

https://www.sena.com/product/wristband-remote/

Don't order XL gt air if you were a large in the Rf line! It will be a mistake! Just order smaller cheek pads. I currently run a large gt air with smaller Cheek pads and Sena 20s. I also wore a large rf1100 and a large Rf 1000.

Last edited by a moderator: