Handlebar Buzz After Heli Riser Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC CWO

Reaction score
Two days ago I installed a Heli riser on my 07 FJR. I also installed a PCIII with stock map and a K&N air filter. I rode to work yesterday and the handlebar buzz was much worse than stock. My right hand went numb after about 35 minutes. So last night I replaced the stock map with a modified smoothness map, thinking this was the cause of the buzz. My ride to work this morning yielded the same results. Performance wise the bike runs fine but there is noticeably more buzz between 4000-4500 rmp throughout the bike, even in the pegs.

I believe I installed everything correctly, following the directions to the letter. All the right tools were used; all the hardware was torqued to specs. Handlebars were set in the forward position.

I need help here. I was hoping to enjoy the improvement I have heard so much about but this buzz is ruining my riding. :(

Some thoughts....

If there is buzz in the pegs now, probably an issue with the PC 111.

Try setting the PC to the zero map and reconnect the oxy sensor to see if the buzz goes away.

Was the throttle position set to zero on the PC when the PC was installed or when the throttle cables were removed during the Heli installed?

I just did the install too, and actually thought there was much less vibration in the handlebars. Are you sure your hand is getting numb because of the vibration? One thing I have noticed is that my right hand does occasioally get numb with this new bar. I believe it's because of the new position and not because of any additional vibration. I use to own a ZZR1200 and had this similar problem but it was much worst. I always thought it was the vibration of that bike and found out later that it was how I had my right hand position on grip which was causing less blood flow thus making my hand numb. Don't ask me why. As for the vibration in pegs, I too have a lot of vibration in that same RPM range, but it has always been there since owning it.

Have you installed sliders? Or has your dealer?

The reason I ask, is that if the engine bolts the sliders are installed on are improperly torqued, the result can be vibration. Sometimes re-torquing those two bolts can lessen vibration, but they have to be done in the correct sequence.

YMMV -

Two days ago I installed a Heli riser on my 07 FJR. I also installed a PCIII with stock map and a K&N air filter. I rode to work yesterday and the handlebar buzz was much worse than stock. My right hand went numb after about 35 minutes. So last night I replaced the stock map with a modified smoothness map, thinking this was the cause of the buzz. My ride to work this morning yielded the same results. Performance wise the bike runs fine but there is noticeably more buzz between 4000-4500 rmp throughout the bike, even in the pegs.
I believe I installed everything correctly, following the directions to the letter. All the right tools were used; all the hardware was torqued to specs. Handlebars were set in the forward position.

I need help here. I was hoping to enjoy the improvement I have heard so much about but this buzz is ruining my riding. :(

I've got an 04 with awful bar buzz and I also have up and back HELI risers. If you find that taking the risers off gets rid of the vibes, LET US KNOW, I will take mine off pronto! I also can feel it in the seat and pegs and tank and anything else I touch on the bike. I just installed a PCIII and it helped very little if at all w/ the buzz. I would take the risers off and see if that helps before messing with anything else. Just asking, Do the vibes go away when you pull the clutch in at speed or does it vibe at same rpm regardless of gear selection?? :dntknw: That's all I have to offer....

I have an 07 that has Heli risers and did not notice a difference in handlebar vibration. No motor or fuel system mods to confuse the issue here.

I've got an 04 with awful bar buzz and I also have up and back HELI risers.
I have an '05 with the Heli risers and no PCIII and don't have bar buzz. Sounds like throttle body sync is needed.
I guess it could be a number of things. I've done lots of TBS on other peoples bikes and they are pretty smooth. No such luck on mine. 4 syncs over 9000 miles over 12 months. (even the unauthorized version) The vibes have not changed AT ALL. The only thing I haven't done is remove the risers that were on the bike when I bought it. This vibe feels more like it is in the rotating assembly, not in volume/air fuel balance, etc. Vibes were the same before and after pcIII install, no difference with smoothness map, zero map, plugged, unplugged. But by all means do the TBS first !!! GO RIDING.....Here I am... :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
user61759_pic52670_1351696218.jpg

I have TBS'ed the hell out of my bike, and also spent more than a little time loosening and re-torquing motor mounts. Also, the PCV I installed really made no difference in the maddening buzz I've been experiencing with this bike.

It's interesting, and contrary to what everyone seems to believe around here, but I found the installation of my MCL riser plate to actually worsen vibes. Adding the Manic Salamander 12oz bar weights on top of that made it almost unbearable. I actually attached my smartphone to the left bar with the grip removed and measured the vibrations using a relatively unscientific, yet relatively useable, Android app and found that the vibration increase with heavier bar ends wasn't just in my head... it was actually there, but only above about 4500 RPM. Beneath that, the vibes were indeed reduced by the bar ends, but only slightly.

Ultimately, I think people who say these items reduce vibrations don't head north of 4500 RPM very often. Also, I could be completely wrong. It is Friday, and I will very likely get flamed for this, but my bars are smoothest throughout the entire RPM range with the stock triple clamp and no risers. I am considering trying out Heli's new "bridge," which to me looks like a copy of a German product I've seen discussed here on the forum. I'm intrigued by it, because it will raise the bars without increasing their effective individual lengths, which is different than what most or all other risers do. Anyone else think that lengthening the bars, either with metal-on-metal mounted bar weights, or traditional risers, or both, may be a contributor to increased vibrations?

Fire away.

Ditto for me also, I have a 2007 with the heli riser and I have no problem with excessive viabration.I agree with Browndog I think a throttle body sync is in order.

user61759_pic52670_1351696218.jpg

I have TBS'ed the hell out of my bike, and also spent more than a little time loosening and re-torquing motor mounts. Also, the PCV I installed really made no difference in the maddening buzz I've been experiencing with this bike.

It's interesting, and contrary to what everyone seems to believe around here, but I found the installation of my MCL riser plate to actually worsen vibes. Adding the Manic Salamander 12oz bar weights on top of that made it almost unbearable. I actually attached my smartphone to the left bar with the grip removed and measured the vibrations using a relatively unscientific, yet relatively useable, Android app and found that the vibration increase with heavier bar ends wasn't just in my head... it was actually there, but only above about 4500 RPM. Beneath that, the vibes were indeed reduced by the bar ends, but only slightly.

Ultimately, I think people who say these items reduce vibrations don't head north of 4500 RPM very often. Also, I could be completely wrong. It is Friday, and I will very likely get flamed for this, but my bars are smoothest throughout the entire RPM range with the stock triple clamp and no risers. I am considering trying out Heli's new "bridge," which to me looks like a copy of a German product I've seen discussed here on the forum. I'm intrigued by it, because it will raise the bars without increasing their effective individual lengths, which is different than what most or all other risers do. Anyone else think that lengthening the bars, either with metal-on-metal mounted bar weights, or traditional risers, or both, may be a contributor to increased vibrations?

Fire away.
I have the MV "bridge"/riser and found no difference at all in vibes after the install. I've never done a TBS (24k miles) and have Throttlemeister bar ends and have no complaints about vibration. Since you indicate that you have done a TBS several times and torqued the motor mounts, I don't know what else may cause it. Would you consider the vibration to be normal/ typical in the stock configuration or still worse than other FJRs?