Hard accel Cam Chain Noise around 2,200 rpm?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=36pt]DOWNSHIFT[/SIZE]

What you're hearing is primary drive chain slap caused by lugging the engine. You should be spinning higher than 3K most of the time 'cause that's where the engine starts making torque.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed a similar noise-the noise isn't constant, but if I go along, say in 3rd gear at about 35mph, and then accelerate to 40, the noise, which sounds like a loose (cam) chain, can be heard momentarily and goes away. (On my bike, it doesn't seem to happen in any other gear.)
I cannot duplicate "noise" with the engine at idle and revving it slowly upwards, so possibly caused by inducing a load on the engine at a lower RPM in a higher gear?
You've just perfectly described 'lugging' the engine.

Like the doctor said in reply to my affirmative answer to his question of "Does it hurt when you do 'that'?

"So don't do it".

This is NOT a Harley. It's quite alright to wind the engine up a bit.

The noise I hear is more like a gear noise than a lugging noise. It's a low frequency noise combined with vibration. I know what lugging the engine sounds like, this isn't it. I hear it in 1st, 2nd and 3rd when the RPM's go through 2,800-3,000. You can't possibly suggest that you all take residential turns in 1st, or always upshift north of 4,000. I have ridden bikes for over 30 years, Honda, Harley, BMW, Ducati, Triumph and Yamaha, 2,3,4, inline or v's, I don't lug the engines.

On my bike, start in first, moderately or aggressively accelerate through 3,000 and you will both hear and feel it. I'm not sure what it is but I'm going to try and ignore it.

Yep. My '07 does it between 2400-3000 rpm all the time. I agree, when I rev it up past that, no problems - it smooths right out. It's somewhat irritating as it creates a vibration in the grips but I just try to ignore it.

As far as DOWNSHIFTING, if I keep it in first up to 6K rpm just so I can keep from hitting 3k rpm in second, I'll be doing 50 in a 35 mph zone! :rolleyes: :blink: Which of course isn't always desirable.

Herkypilot

Exactly! Who takes residential corners in first? BTW, what is it? How about the technician's comment that he would not use synthetic oil in this motor, both for heat and clutch life?

How about the technician's comment that he would not use synthetic oil in this motor, both for heat and clutch life?
He's just trying to subtly let you know he's a total :asshat: that doesn't know dick squat about "motors" (they're engines actually) or lubrication.

;)