Has anybody used the "Autocom" system?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azuqui

Reaction score
Going on a major trip in mid May, to the Carolina's... I live in Miami, Fla. I was thinking about getting the Autocom unit, being sold at www.casportouring.com web site. They claim it has bike to bike, rider to passenger, with GPS, and MP3 or bluetooth for the phone. Has anyone tried this product yet? Almost sounds too good to be true... Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. :D

I have an older Autcom Super Pro AVI unit, it was installed by the previous owner before I bought the bike. I do very much like it (have GPS and phone on there, pre-wired for radar also), the only downside I have is that the microphone is uncomfortable in my Arai Quantum II Racing version helmet. That's my specific super tight helmet though, I am sure it's ok in other versions or brands. Also, with the microphone it takes a bit of fiddling to get it right, otherwise the sound volume cuts out every time you take a deep breath or exhale forcefully. All that said, I think my unit is probably 5 years old, they might have made big strides since. The sound quality seems very good to me, but I do not have much in the way of comparisons to offer.

I have a Super Pro also on the FJR and the Logic system on the wing, i have installed several systems for the guys here in SoCal and they work as advertised. you can probably find them a lot cheaper if you shop around.

Which system are you looking for.

Dont forget that once you buy the system you will then need to figure out which cables you need to make your stuff work with the Autocom.

PM me what you need to work with the autocom and i will let you know what cables you need.

R

I've got the older super 7 active, (old school) and love it. I've got the am/fm as primary audio source, then the GPS and Valentine on the secondary audio. Used to have the phone hooked into it (Why I don't know) and could talk to someone while at hwy speeds and they wouldn't believe it. Best part is wife and I can chat and enjoy conversation comfortably. If this old one ever pukes, I'll get another.

Based on how you worded your post, I'm taking it that you haven't done much research on the various systems out there. First thing is determining what you really need. I doubt the system at casporttouring comes with the radio that would enable bike to bike communication (with bikes that have similar FRS/GMRS capability), which would be an added expense. Do you need bike to bike? Or do you simply need Rider to Passenger?

Once you determine what you really need in a communication system, you can then narrow down the choices to obtain those capabilities.

I also have the Autocom Pro AVI. It works great stand-alone for rider-pillion communication by itself. As Fairlaner hinted at, and mcobb is getting to more directly, you need to add even more stuff to it depending on what you want to do. I have mine wired to a Zumo, which provides MP3 playback, and also pairs via Bluetooth with my phone for communicating to others. I don't have bike-bike, but the system is capable of that if you add an appropriate radio. Positives of the Autocom itself are really good audio quality and the noise canceling mic, and automatic volume control by sensing ambient noise levels from the secondary mic on the higher end units (and I wouldn't go with the lower end, not just for automatic volume control, but also the noise canceling). Downsides are; mic positioning is critical to use what they call the 'loud spot' my mic gets shoved around as I carry my helmet around off bike, and then I have to adjust with my lips to get the mic repositioned right. I don't know if other systems have this problem or not. I'm sure its a trade-off between that and picking up too much noise from a less directional/fiddly mic. Also, some helmets do not have deep enough ear pockets to accommodate the speakers. In my Arai helmet the speakers were fine, in my Shoei the speakers pressed on my ears to the point of pain. But I ditched them for in-ear monitors (Westone) anyways. Last downside is that you are wired to the Autocom, and that means wired to the bike, not a big deal, just have to remember to plug/unplug on getting on/off. But I call into conference calls all the time on my commute and people don't know I'm on a bike. I can talk to my son when he's on back, and I can listen to music and enjoy my ride. I recommend them.

(though I would like it even better if I could get all of that wirelessly without sacrificing audio quality either direction, so I watch the SENA and other threads on here all the time :) ).

I also have the Autocom Pro AVI.
+1

My wife and I have used our Pro AVI for about 90,000 miles - bike to bike. We use Kenwood FRS/GMRS radios. With the FRS radios w have the option of talking to others with FRS radio. We have our MP3s wired through AmpliRiders for additional volume and volume control since the MP3s controls are too small for gloves.

We tried the previous generation Chatterboxs and could never get them to work above 35MPH which is when we wanted them. Can't comment on the new gen....

I've been keeping my eyes on the new Bluetooth bike-to-bike so if and when the Autocom needs replacing. So far I will go back to the Autocom. Downside, you're wired to the bike. Plus, audio quality is good, automatic volume and VOX works like a champ - we're been to 100MPG in wind with no problems.

I have the Autocom Super Pro Automatic. I just installed three for friends and mine. We used Keith Goudelock at Tulsa Truck Center. He sold us the Autocom units, all the cables we needed and Icom Radios with the Autocom push to talk system.

IMHO it is an amazing system. Being able to hear my buddy in front give a head up to a risk up ahead or being able to request a quick stop is great. I also love hearing my Zumo 550 speak the directions and listening to my music when I want is incredible. I also like being able to pull over and make a phone call without having to take off my helmet.

I know others identify being wired to the bike as a negative. I guess to me having the wire is just easier. I don't have to remember to charge it, or worry about running out of power on long rides and I never have to change batteries. Even our Icom Radios are wired into our bikes.

I would definitely do it again.

If you want to check Keith out give me a PM and I will shoot you his number. I know he has helped others on the forum with this setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Autocom Super Pro Automatic. I just installed three for friends and mine. We used Keith Goudelock at Tulsa Truck Center. He sold us the Autocom units, all the cables we needed and Icom Radios with the Autocom push to talk system.

IMHO it is an amazing system. Being able to hear my buddy in front give a head up to a risk up ahead or being able to request a quick stop is great. I also love hearing my Zumo 550 speak the directions and listening to my music when I want is incredible. I also like being able to pull over and make a phone call without having to take off my helmet.

I know others identify being wired to the bike as a negative. I guess to me having the wire is just easier. I don't have to remember to charge it, or worry about running out of power on long rides and I never have to change batteries. Even our Icom Radios are wired into our bikes.

I would definitely do it again.

If you want to check Keith out give me a PM and I will shoot you his number. I know he has helped others on the forum with this setup.
+1 Love Autocom. On my second system. Upgraded to the AVI Pro on Ebay for several hundred less than new. The only thing that has worn out is the mic covers.

I think until they get the bugs out of the bluetooth stuff wired is the way to go.

Fairlaner installed mine and I am very happy with the performance. It was not cheap and I am glad I did it the right way the first time. I also run the Kenwood radio for bike to bike. It works beautifully with my Zumo 660 to make calls and see incoming calls.

No need for PM's with Keith's number he is not shy........

1-918-446-2245 or his cell is 1-918-630-4665.

R

I've got a Pro-M1 that I had on my ride (took it out over the winter, since my friends won't invest in radios and I never carry a passenger, so I use in-ear headphones wired straight to the Zumo.

There's no reason why a system quoted by Keith wouldn't have a GMRS radio included, though it is not part of any basic kit.

Autocom gear is very robust. The microphones require proper positioning and are NOT intrusive. I have their Bluetooth dongle for the system - I'm not a believer in battery powered Bluetooth helmet units like the Scala because my travel time usually exzceeds the unit operating time . . . . . but you can interface all manner of equipment, from iPids to navigators to radios and so on without limit, as long as you get the proper accessories.

If you plan to use a GMRS radio, investing in their 3-way PTT adapter is a must - it has a switch that selects the mode for the transceiver - you can lock the transmitter on (if you are playing tour guide, or are an instructor), use it in VOX mode or you can set it for manual PTT - the PTT switch is part of ther assembly. It it tie-wrapped to the left grip and looks like it was designed for the FJR.

Youi could do much worse than Autocom - Baehr makes nicer gear, everyone else makes stuff that's somewhat below.

Autocom got into financial difficulty and was sold last year and ther new owners seem to be maintaiing the brand.

I'm not looking to hijack the thread, but I'm open to opffers if anyone actually wants a very complete Pro-M1 system with lots of bits and pieces (I sold off one of my 2 Kenwood TK3100 GMRS radios, the PTT adapter and the one set of interface cables I had for it last year), but I have isolators, a GPS interface cable, Bluetooth dongle, mixers, headphone adapter, coiled and straight cables, headsets, the battery eliminator and so on - I have something like $1,200 invested in the gear.

I've had a Starcom and Autocom system and they are both very good systems. The only problem I've had is getting either systems to work well with CB. My personal theory on this (FTWIW) is that both systems were designed in the UK where CB isn't legal (or at least wasn't) and the systems don't seem to be designed with CB in mind.

I'm not saying you cant't get them to work (some have), the only way it works for me is running the CB off battery power (not bike power) and on low transmit power. otherwise the CB seems to overpower the unit resulting in feeedback and a squealing noise on transmit.

Also, I have had problems getting the vox set right when there is a cross wind or quartering wind. The wind blows up under the helmet an activates the mic. I think I have finally fixed this by turning the Vox setting all the way up and using a 'windsock' on the mic. Also a bigger windshield helps ;)

I run intercom to a passenger, radar detector, zumo 665 for navigation, XM and audio books and CB all through the Autocom. I want to get my phone set up with bluetooth to the zumo 665 and then to the Autocom but have been too lazy to figure out how to do that.

The only reason I switched from the Starcom to the Autocom was to fix the CB problem. It didn't (YMMV).

Based on what we are asking these systems to do, I have been pretty happy with both systems. I would say the cables and plugs on the Autocom are more sturdy than the Starcom unless the design has changed in the last couple of years.

Hey Folks Thanks so much for your replies.... I will take them into consideration.., although I think I'm getting it.... I'll keep you posted.. Thanks Again

Be warned, the set that you speak of only has base unit and rider headset, you will need all the other connections for passenger, bike 2 bike, etc. which would cost a lot more. you may be better off looking for a used set that has more. I got my Super Pro AVI off e-bay and still added another $500+ in cables radio, etc. before you buy you may want to ask anyone who has installed the Autocom to go over what you have to see if you have all the stuff you need. You may want to check out Bramfrank and see what he want for his setup.

He has asked me already, I have a Super pro AVI sitting in a draw that i bought on Ebay a couple of months ago...

I will send you a PM with my number so you can call me, will be much easier to figure out what you want to accomplish.

R

No need for PM's with Keith's number he is not shy........

1-918-446-2245 or his cell is 1-918-630-4665.

R
Just wansn't sure if the Mods would appreciate me posting it directly in the forum. Thanks Fairlaner :thumbsupsmileyanim: !