Has Anyone Added a Turn to the Throttle Spring?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveO311

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first New FJR. My first bike with fly by wire throttle. I find the throttle is so loose that it has little if any feel. 

My question is:   Has anyone ever added a turn to the throttle return roll spring? 

Many fjr peeps have unwound that spring by one rev to *reduce* throttle pull. My guess is your's is unwound too. If you have access to another known stock fjr, compare the number of spring wraps maybe? I don't know.

Many fjr peeps have unwound that spring by one rev to *reduce* throttle pull. My guess is your's is unwound too. If you have access to another known stock fjr, compare the number of spring wraps maybe? I don't know.
I really can't imagine anyone would have unwound a Gen3 throttle spring, it is very light, certainly compared to a Gen 2. 

Provided it closes the throttle property, I would suggest getting used to it. As you get older, your wrist will thank you.

when I first got my FJR I hated the throttle response so I did the spring unwind.....Then the throttle was to light and wouldn't close all the way..I realized that the PO had already done it. I rewould the spring with a piece of curved wire, snagging the tang and pulling it back around ,which involved much time, fumbling, and unclean thoughts...

Y'all are talking about two different systems.

The Gen I and II bikes were not fly-by-wire, and had a stiff throttle spring. Unwinding that spring was the first thing many of us did to save our hands.

The Gen III introduced fly-by-wire, removing the mechanical link to the actual throttle; the cable drives a position sensor that tells the ECU what you're asking for from the throttle. That spring is much lighter, and although I've only ridden one bike with that setup, I much preferred the feel of the grip.

I have owned both Gen II and Gen III bikes. The throttle on the G3 is much better than the G2. It was one of the first things I checked when looking to buy the G3.