Has anyone ever upgraded their bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lharrell79

Reaction score
About 5 weeks ago, I parked my truck, and have been solely driving my 07 FJR. I'm starting to notice more and more that I'm running out of room. I have the 2 factory side cases, and an OEM top case. The problem is, the bags and case look big on the outside, but they aren't near as big on the inside. I've also noticed the side bags are a pain to fully load, since they are side loading.

I'm toying with the idea of aluminum side bags, and top case. Kind of like these:

https://www.happy-trail.com/Triumph-Tiger-955/Aluminum-Panniers-Teton-Clif-Tiger-955.aspx

I know this setup would be ugly as sin, but it would be so much more functional, and could hold much more. Not so mention, when camping I could strap the tent and sleeping bags on top of the cases.

Have I completely lost my mind? What are my options here? If it's not possible, or ya'll think it will be too ugly, then I might end up going the V-Strom route.

Thanks, Lucas

About 5 weeks ago, I parked my truck, and have been solely driving my 07 FJR. I'm starting to notice more and more that I'm running out of room. I have the 2 factory side cases, and an OEM top case. The problem is, the bags and case look big on the outside, but they aren't near as big on the inside. I've also noticed the side bags are a pain to fully load, since they are side loading.

I'm toying with the idea of aluminum side bags, and top case. Kind of like these:

https://www.happy-trail.com/Triumph-Tiger-955/Aluminum-Panniers-Teton-Clif-Tiger-955.aspx

I know this setup would be ugly as sin, but it would be so much more functional, and could hold much more. Not so mention, when camping I could strap the tent and sleeping bags on top of the cases.

Have I completely lost my mind? What are my options here? If it's not possible, or ya'll think it will be too ugly, then I might end up going the V-Strom route.

Thanks, Lucas

If you don't care if it's ugly as sin...then it shouldn't matter what some wiener on a computer half the country away thinks about your setup.

Hell, there are some people on this board that use their airhorns as sliders. ;)

So, do what you want to do, and don't worry that the rest of us laugh. You'll be happy, we'll be amused...it's a win/win.

BTW, if you sell your bike and buy a different bike, because of some anonymous comments over the innernet...then maybe you don't have enough backbone to be riding the FJR and should sell it. :D There, I said it...you gonna sell? :lol:

Wooooooo, that is way more ugly than just ugly. More like Warp Factor Nine UGLY!!!!!

Might make more sense if you only use them when you need them......

Thanks, Lucas

If you don't care if it's ugly as sin...then it shouldn't matter what some wiener on a computer half the country away thinks about your setup.

Hell, there are some people on this board that use their airhorns as sliders. ;)

So, do what you want to do, and don't worry that the rest of us laugh. You'll be happy, we'll be amused...it's a win/win.

BTW, if you sell your bike and buy a different bike, because of some anonymous comments over the innernet...then maybe you don't have enough backbone to be riding the FJR and should sell it. :D There, I said it...you gonna sell? :lol:
It's not that I would sell it because of what others thought, it would be because it's not possible to install the side bags. So back to the original question, is it possible to install different side bags similar to those in the picture? Does anyone have any first hand experience?

Thanks, Lucas

The factory top case is useless for space. Givi or Shad cases work a lot better, with MUCH more interior volume.

As for sides, it hasn't been an issue for me personally, but then, I don't spend days at a time on the road with just what I can carry.

It's been a while, but I have seen the very rare set up where someone has installed top-loading Givi sidebags on the FJR. They were plastic, can't remember if they were painted or all matt black. Don't know how they compare size-wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
well let me just say this. Anything is possible but I don't think you are going to find mounting brackets listed for your bike Lucas. You or somebody will have to fabricate mounting brackets for an FJR. There are several different makers of these side cases email or call them maybe they have crossed this bridge before.

Lucas,

It is absolutely possible to mount just about any kind of side and top bags you can imagine. Anything you can strap onto a V-strom can also be put on an FJR. There have been some folks that have put Givi side bags on an FJR for some reason or other. Givi sells a mounting rack kit to do that. Once you put a Givi rack on, just about any panniers made can be adapted to that rack.

On my 'strom I have a set of SW Motech side racks (quick disconnect versions of a Givi rack) and alternately use 36 liter Givi E36's or Seahorse utility cases on the rack, using the Happy Trails mounting puck system. Just about any monstrously huge size side bags can be mounted with the Happy Trails pucks. Personally, I would love to see an FJR set-up as an adventure touring bike. Why the hell not? :unsure:

But I would encourage you as a first (intermediate) step to replace that POS Yamaha trunk with a big ole' Givi trunk. The mounting would be required when you went whole hog adventure anyway, and you'll be pleasantly surprised how much that expands your hauling capability. The side bags aren't all that bad, especially if you use the liners, but you are right it's tough to pack them without the liners due to the side opening. But they are pretty good sized. In fact. they stick out a lot if you look closely.

Anyway, have fun. Be different. Post pics.

... I've also noticed the side bags are a pain to fully load, since they are side loading...I'm toying with the idea of aluminum side bags, and top case...
If you like the ammo can look of an Adventure/Tour machine then you probably would be best served by buying one. If you like your FJR and just need some room there are other options.

First, I use the OEM soft bags to pack stuff, then put the soft bags into the hard side cases so side loading isn't an issue. There are a lot of other options for luggage space. You didn't mention if you ride with a pillion. Just to use a name, Nelson-Rigg has both soft side bags and tail bags that can take the place of the OEM pieces. I have used similar soft side cases on my Hondas for ~150k miles. With the waterproof liners I have never had wet contents and with a professional rider on a closed course race track the bags have been unflappable (pun intended) >145 mph. I have used the soft bags with my pillion along for most rides with no leg interference. There are lots of options in soft luggage from other manufacturers.

CTB_350.jpg

SLR-30.jpg

Speaking of tail bags, I recently made a special bracket for a fellow rider that the bag's sissy bar pocket slips onto...

P1010583.jpg

P1010584.jpg

Didn't mention before that I usually go to the trouble to remove the side bags and lay them down so the lid opens up when I'm really packing the suckers.

I seem to remember on a trip I took last spring a fellow FJR rider from upstate New York had taken some cases like those aluminum ones you linked to and had a bracket made to attach them to the frame of the bike. The reason that this sticks out is they didn't look half bad on the bike and the story about how the bracket was made. The dude that made the bracket had a pet monkey that ended up getting sick and died while the guy was building the bracket and the owner of the bike had to wait a while for the guy to get over the loss of his pet monkey to finish up fabing up the rest of the bracket.

Givi makes a good side case rack for the FJR. It's the PLX357. Though it's designed for their V35 cases, I'm sure it can be modified to accommodate other bags too (even aluminum panniers...). However, you should check whether it can be installed independent of the SR357 top case rack or if they must be installed together.

It's been a while, but I have seen the very rare set up where someone has installed top-loading Givi sidebags on the FJR. They were plastic, can't remember if they were painted or all matt black. Don't know how they compare size-wise.
Were you thinking of these: ??

DSC03339.JPG

DSC03342.JPG

I made mounting plates for valetz. He wanted them mounted as close to the bike as possible and was willing to cut some of the plastic to accomplish it.

DSC03357.JPG

I'm not aware of GIVI offering mounts for the GenI, but there is a GenII rack for side bags. Unfortunately it's only available in Europe.

0.0.1.fjrintero.jpg

Those were them Joe. Gotta love the Euro Desert Sand Metallic paint color.

Do you know how much capacity the have.

BTW, nice job fabricating a mounting system.

I am with you on limited space as far as the side bags go, but I found that the use of the liner bags works very well for loading and unloading. You can basically stuff these as far as possible - as long as you can zip them closed they will fit the side case space. About extra space, you can always get one of these kind of bags cheap at a online sale somewhere.

post with different options

Photo0063.jpg

I've found that the total space in the saddle bags + a Givi E460 + a tank bag are more than sufficient enough for 2 weeks (or more) on the road. That means a day's comute is well within those confines. A "range bag" strapped to the back seat is an option if you need more space. It keeps the weight in front of the back axle, too. I suggest range bags because they tend to be less expensive than things sold with a "motorcycle" purpose attached to them.

Packing lighter is a hard lesson learned by co-riders everywhere.