Has anyone ever upgraded their bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
talkie talkie talkie,just get a trailer to pull behind the bike or take the car.dont try to build a better mouse trap.lol.

I just updated last year to 2 X E41 keyless side bags, and an E55 trunk. Looks a little bit "fat" when sitting still...but it does offer a lot of space to carry along what you need. My spouse loves the extra room, and it has the added benefit of taking away another excuse for us to NOT take the bike. I also have the wingrack setup...so the bags all pop on and off easily. Compared to the old E36s that I had before, I love the keyless top flap doors that allow me to open and use the top bit of space for things I want to retrieve easily like gloves, extra face shield, etc.

I just updated last year to 2 X E41 keyless side bags, and an E55 trunk. Looks a little bit "fat" when sitting still...but it does offer a lot of space to carry along what you need. My spouse loves the extra room, and it has the added benefit of taking away another excuse for us to NOT take the bike. I also have the wingrack setup...so the bags all pop on and off easily. Compared to the old E36s that I had before, I love the keyless top flap doors that allow me to open and use the top bit of space for things I want to retrieve easily like gloves, extra face shield, etc.
It isn't true unless there is a photo!

Did you do a custom setup with the wingracks? Do you have any pics of them mounted?

Lucas

I use a Nelson Rigg Survivor (waterproof without cover) Weekender Sissy Bar bag on the passenger seat one up...

makes a very comfortable backrest as well.

When camping, a Nelson Rigg Survivor Roll bag etc straps to the top of the Weekender

5574674854_1448567ff1_o.jpg

Hell, there are some people on this board that use their airhorns as sliders. ;)
3469318274_7c3cf1ea54_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You mention these make your butt "look a little fat". How wide are they?

The reason that I ask is that with the bulbous FJR side bags on, the bike is already over 3 foot wide!! (38" from outside rubber trim strip on bag to bag). It's hard to believe that the E41's would be much wider, unless there is a lot of space between the bike and bag.

I tell you what, I like the looks of the Givi side bags a lot.

Exercising my Google-foo I find that the stock FJR bags have an internal volume of only 30 liters!

So two of the E41's would add 21 liters of storage space. And while the E41 bags are 11" deep, the stock bags stick out ~11" from the side of the bike too. Depending on how far out the mounting racks space the Givi bags, they may not actually increase the beam much at all.

I have a couple of Givi's in the garage that I would love to install on my Gen II for the added capacity. Has anyone tried ordering a rack from Twisted Throttle (per previous post) that apparently can get them from Europe?

To heck with the side bag route. Just get a Motofizz bag, mount it on the rear seat and be done with it. The Fizz is easy to disconnect and haul with you and it stores a ton of stuff. It even comes in two sizes. You can load it from the side or from the top and it looks cool on the bike. Heck, when I've camped with it I can fit my tent, sleeping bag, ground roll, cooking supplies, food and miscellaneous and there's still room. In my opinion it's the way to go!

I am with you on limited space as far as the side bags go, but I found that the use of the liner bags works very well for loading and unloading. You can basically stuff these as far as possible - as long as you can zip them closed they will fit the side case space. About extra space, you can always get one of these kind of bags cheap at a online sale somewhere.

post with different options

Photo0063.jpg
I agree on using the bag liners, otherwise the side loading cases are a pain. I use the right side one every commuting day and stuff shoes, netbook, lunch and anything else I'd put in a briefcase. I used it on a 2500 mile trip last year and when my riding partner was hauling his side cases into the motel trying not to bang 'em up I'd pop the bag out with all my clothes, toiletries, shoes etc.

+1 on getting a different topcase. Somebody on the forum will want your Yammy case for sure.

It's been a while, but I have seen the very rare set up where someone has installed top-loading Givi sidebags on the FJR. They were plastic, can't remember if they were painted or all matt black. Don't know how they compare size-wise.
Were you thinking of these: ??

DSC03339.JPG

DSC03342.JPG

I made mounting plates for valetz. He wanted them mounted as close to the bike as possible and was willing to cut some of the plastic to accomplish it.

DSC03357.JPG

I'm not aware of GIVI offering mounts for the GenI, but there is a GenII rack for side bags. Unfortunately it's only available in Europe.

0.0.1.fjrintero.jpg

Hmmm.... so maybe I can take my guitar with me on a rack like that ! I need a rack system that's modular for four different rides

1. Go to work or shopping - side case and top case

2. Go carving -mothing but the seats and sides cases

3. Go, just go, before the argument goes ballistic - take my guitar to plunk out some blues

4. Go, with luggage and her