Has Anyone Removed All The Paint From Saddlebags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo2015

Reaction score
Shortly after I got the FJR I ruined the paint on the saddebags. I was going on a trip and I didn't want abrasion from my tailbag and other things I was carrying to damage the paint. I put tape on the tops of the saddle bags to prevent this damage. It worked, but when I pulled off the tape after the trip, it took a bunch of the paint with it. I have been riding with crappy looking bags ever since.

I am wondering if it might be a good idea to remove the paint completely. As it is, the inner half of the bags are unpainted, just black plastic. Has anyone tried this? If so, do you have photos? and how did you remove the paint?

Thanks

I have not, but in your case what would it hurt now. hell use the same tape that caused the damage in the first place.

I cannot believe it came off that easy, no adhesion at all. got to be bad prep

actually I can believe it cause I screwed mine up as soon as I touched the bike. shit is soft!!!

I've removed some of the paint from a couple of bags, using gravel and sand. Probably not what you meant. Ironic though that your protection caused your problem, huh?

Paint your bags with Rhino liner and never worry about the paint on em again B)

Not something I would do personally, but there are those ont he board that have donw it.

Yes, the irony was not lost on me. After the cursing subsided, I realized how ironic it was. "The very paint I was trying to protect", to paraphrase a Seinfeld line.

The tape was a 3M product, perhaps the stickiest tape I have ever seen. It was a clear tape, thought that would look better. I definately overthought that one. Should have just used masking tape and it would have been fine.

If I decide to go the sand and gravel route, I will ship them to you, wfooshee.

In a way, it is a bit liberating. When the bike was new, I would fret over the possibility of a scratch. Now I don't worry much about such things. I just ride it and have fun. When you are already missing big pieces of paint, another tiny scratch doesn't really matter.

Yes, the irony was not lost on me. After the cursing subsided, I realized how ironic it was. "The very paint I was trying to protect", to paraphrase a Seinfeld line.
The tape was a 3M product, perhaps the stickiest tape I have ever seen. It was a clear tape, thought that would look better. I definately overthought that one. Should have just used masking tape and it would have been fine.

If I decide to go the sand and gravel route, I will ship them to you, wfooshee.

In a way, it is a bit liberating. When the bike was new, I would fret over the possibility of a scratch. Now I don't worry much about such things. I just ride it and have fun. When you are already missing big pieces of paint, another tiny scratch doesn't really matter.
you can get them repainted like new by Garauld

$75 plus shipping as he reported back in Sept '07 - need send him a PM for update

Man, coming from a newbie outsider who has a maroon bike and black bags, my view would be get them repainted. If you want to see how ugly nonpainted bags look, check out an older concours!

FWIW, I wish my bags were color matched. They look terrible black and the bike Maroon.

Lewis

i liked the contrast on my connie bags. it was the rest of the bike i disliked. not that i hated it i pushed 35,000 on it in a little over 2 years but after buying the fjr i find it hard to believe i tolerated it at all. the price was right and the owners group was great.

Man, coming from a newbie outsider who has a maroon bike and black bags, my view would be get them repainted. If you want to see how ugly nonpainted bags look, check out an older concours!
FWIW, I wish my bags were color matched. They look terrible black and the bike Maroon.

Lewis

Lewis ~

See the post above your's for the solution to your color problem! Garauld is the real deal... his work is fantastic, and his prices are very fair. Drop him a PM and see what can be done.

Don

Lewis ~See the post above your's for the solution to your color problem! Garauld is the real deal... his work is fantastic, and his prices are very fair. Drop him a PM and see what can be done.

Don
Don, I wont have to worry about the ugly bags for much longer, as I will be getting an FJR or C14 in a couple months!

Lewis

Shortly after I got the FJR I ruined the paint on the saddebags. I was going on a trip and I didn't want abrasion from my tailbag and other things I was carrying to damage the paint. I put tape on the tops of the saddle bags to prevent this damage. It worked, but when I pulled off the tape after the trip, it took a bunch of the paint with it. I have been riding with crappy looking bags ever since.

I am wondering if it might be a good idea to remove the paint completely. As it is, the inner half of the bags are unpainted, just black plastic. Has anyone tried this? If so, do you have photos? and how did you remove the paint?

Thanks

Don, I wont have to worry about the ugly bags for much longer, as I will be getting an FJR or C14 in a couple months!

Lewis
Look at my first post I ever did here today.
I see a 2 part epoxy coating in black.
It's textured.

@clay - Welcome to the forum. Consider adding your location to your profile. It gives context to your posts and helps others better understand/answer.

In regards to the post above... I think they got that sorted about 14 years ago. ;) Double check the dates of the last post before contributing. If you have new info/relevant stuff to share, often just starting a new thread instead of trying to revive an old one works better. (y)