Has anyone upgraded their side cases?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about two independant small saddlebags (such as chase harper) and just tying them down good by looping a small ratchet style strap around the bag and FJR saddlebag? Just right on top of the FJR saddlebag, cinched down with the ratchet strap inbetween the top two spots where the FJR bag 'hooks' into the bike? Would that work? I know it won't be pretty, but seems like it'd work.........

Alexi

Can you tell how financially lucrative my job is with suggestions such as these?

Not a bad suggestion, but then you wouldn't be able to get into the side cases without removing the soft cases.

ROK straps (you can see them in use in my FZ6 picture) would be great at cinching them down, so I might pursue your idea if I can't come up with something else.

I just kinda wanted to reuse the cases I already bought :\

Renegade, I'll check out sporttour.com, thanks for the idea!

The PLV Givi cases sure look sweet, but it's another $900 or so to put into the bike I would rather have avoided if there was a way to reuse my E360s.
I'm pretty sure your E360s would fit on the wingrack. All the MonoKey cases have the same mount and most can be used as side or top cases. Won't be as pretty, but gets the job done. Call GIVI USA and ask.

The PLV Givi cases sure look sweet, but it's another $900 or so to put into the bike I would rather have avoided if there was a way to reuse my E360s.
I'm pretty sure your E360s would fit on the wingrack. All the MonoKey cases have the same mount and most can be used as side or top cases. Won't be as pretty, but gets the job done. Call GIVI USA and ask.
Thanks for the idea. For now I have adjusted how I pack my bike up and upgraded to an E55 Maxia from my old V46. I don't like putting so much weight in the top case, but we adapt and overcome.

I may contact Givi USA after my trip down to Georgia next month and decide that I need more storage capacity for 2UP riding.

I just kinda wanted to reuse the cases I already bought :\
Renegade, I'll check out sporttour.com, thanks for the idea!
A history lesson for forum members: The European FJRs did not (or maybe still don't) come with side cases so the Givi system solves the issue for them and is cheaper than the OEM cases.

I wonder if the universal mounting plate (# E-127) could be used on the PLX racks. I've mounted one on my FJR's fuel cell and one on my KLR so my top case will switch bike-to-bike.

Not knowing how different the GenI-GenII tail section is, perhaps you could have someone modify a Gen I rack. IIRC, they are slightly narrower and the passenger foot peg bracket is different. A good welder/fabricator could modify the system for you.

Last edited by a moderator: