Has anyone with an 05 bought an 06??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spine60

Reaction score
Thanks, I'd really like to hear first hand the differences overall after you have ridden both?? Regards, Greg

Greg ...I'll let you know if I get my April 06 :dntknw:

So why didn't you include an 04? An 04 and 05 are the same bikes. Except that the 05 has that fugly slow-assed color.

I have an 03.

Our local dealer has a Yamaha Demo ride on May 6th.

I hope to be there and take an 06 FJR out, just for entertainment's sake.

(Assuming they have an FJR available at that particular event)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't hold my breath on an '06 being available for a demo... since they're "made on order" there's typically not a whole lot floating around. Usually demo days are for cruisers... which are available in abundance. Wonder if they'll have an R1.... that might be fun.

Wouldn't hold my breath on an '06 being available for a demo... since they're "made on order" there's typically not a whole lot floating around.  Usually demo days are for cruisers... which are available in abundance.  Wonder if they'll have an R1.... that might be fun.
True

I have been to other demo's, both Yamaha and others where they don't have the full line to try (often what I wanted to try :bigeyes: ); it would be tough for them to bring everything.

I don't know if the FJR supply situation is different here in Canada. Up to a month or so ago, I knew where there were some new 05's on dealers floors here (i.e. with "0" on the odometer, not previously owned). The 1st ride I took on an FJR was on late summer 2003 at a Yamaha demo at Cycle City in Burlington, Ontario; Yamaha brought two to that one. That 20 minute ride is what got me "into" FJR's.

However, it may be quite correct that they will not have one there on May 6th.

Strange you should mention the R1 because that was another thought I had, if they have one there; don't think I'd turn in my FJR for one but you're right, it might be fun if they do. :D

Is there not one person who could answer this question even if we throw in the '04 tickers as well??

OK, Here goes....

I had an '05. After 500 miles on it I decided that I did not like either the seat or the suspension. The bike already had a +4, +2 Cee Bailey on it which is needed, IMO. Put on Wilbers shocks and a Sargent Seat and it became a dream bike for me. Continued with about a dozen other farkles AND the heat fix. The heat was noticeable but not really objectionable.

I used this bike primarily as a solo bike although I did have the Sargent passengers backrest which slips in and out quickly. My favorite motorcycle!.

When Yamaha announced the changes on the '06 I ordered one and traded my 05 for a BMW LT for 2-up touring out west.

Got my '06 and felt it was very nearly the perfect stock motorcycle. If you are going to pile up some big miles you will probably want a bigger windshield...the stock 06 lacks, although it is more adjustable than the 05. The heat issue on the stock 06 seems a little better...I rode it in 90 weather last week made no adjustments and it was barely noticeable and not bothersome at all. My perception is that the suspension seems better than the 05's stock suspension...don't know if the equipment is different or if the extra length of the 06 makes a difference but the stock 06 seems better to me. The speed and response seem the same to me...at least seat of the pants testing...the handling doesnt seem any different to me but I havent pushed either real hard. The riding position with the adjustable bars seems to be an improvement to me...doubt that I will want risers on the 06. The linked brakes are no issue to me...I have had Hondas and my BMW has linked brakes..again, its a beautiful motorcycle....any specific questions?

Ride Safe,

Ron

....any specific questions?
Ron, thanks for the review. I love my '04 but I've fought with the seat & windshield issues since day one trying many, many combos. Good to hear it seems the '06 is improved right out of the crate. How does the stock '06 seat feel compared to the '05 Sargent?

Also, is there any improvement in smoothness & vibes to the bars? I installed an MCCruise on my 04. I don't think my throttle hand would've survived w/o it. Overall the '04 is pretty smooth (PCIII w/smooth map) but not even close to the silky smooth CBR XX I had previously.

I've noticed the "turbine-like" whine that was ever present on the 05 is no longer there and in general the engine does not seem to be "busy" a higher road speeds. Both of these I attribute the addition of the unbeleavably cheesey foam additions to the faring { at the very LEAST. couldn't Yammy have made the foam purpose built instead of looking like you left a wash sponge tucked into a crevice? } My guess is that the "jiffy pop " engine addition also contributes to the noise reduction.

As for the ergos, it's to soon to tell {700 mi.} I had a Russel,cb 4+2's, helis and risers on my 05 [ 24000 mi. ] ......

Ghost

Is there not one person who could answer this question even if we throw in the '04 tickers as well??
Hmmm, attempting the ol' can o' worms opening, are we?... or maybe you're uninformed... there are a decent amount of '05 tickers as well as earlier years... but I'm thinking that you might just be a'fishin.

I had an 04 and the 06 ergos are much improved. No need for risers. The jury is still out on the seat. The suspension feels better, giving the bike a more planted feel. The turbine whine is all but gone as is any heat issue. While I am not saying the 06 is faster (it is) but it is a lot tougher to keep it under 80 than my old 04. Gearing??? The back pressure when the wind shield is all the way up is gone. Mine has no whistle but does have the 17mpg problem. The bike reported 48.6 mpg on the trip home from the dealership (220 highway miles) reports 42.2 now. Great perks like the gear indicator are great. Only complaints are the mirrors are not as useful and the turn indicators are a bit on the small side. All in all (for me) much improved. Great ride.

Tahoebound,

The 06 is better...but not as good as the Sargent on my '05. My 06 FJR is at Sargent right now....they are using it to engineer their seat for the 06. I got a pretty good "butt burn" after 250 miles on the '06 stock seat...but that was better than the stock 05.... Better support with the Sargent Seat.

As far as windshields go, the 06 is no bargain even though the adjustment is better. On my 05 I had two that were great....for long rides and max protection....a Cee Bailey +4 +2 and for hot weather riding you can't beat the Cal-Sci windshield with vents in it...eliminates the buffeting...the 06 still has a degree of buffeting...cant wait for the first aftermarket windshield on the 06!

The new instrumentation is nice...but jeezus they could have put a voltmeter on it.

Now the buzz....still there...my first farkle was heavy bar ends from my old bike. I am waiting for a set of BMW grips to put on it and I am searching like hell for an electronic cruise control that will work....if none available I am going to use a Brakeaway Throttle Control (which I used on my 05) which is pricey (200) but a Quality piece....it is a mechanical control but releases when you hit the handbrake.

Ride Safe,

Ron