Have I Neglected the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too went from a VTX over to the FJR. I wasn't one of those guy's that had to get all leathered up to go to the store for some milk though! I do like the FJR as does everyone else here. BUT I do wash it and keep it clean all the time! I love the look of the Blue Cobalt. Some of my friends have now been calling me the blue blurr!

I traded my Kawi 1600 Mean Streak in on my '03 FJR last April. I only put 1000kms on the FJR in two months, then I found myself on my way to Laconia from Nova Scotia, 1100kms in 11 hours with 4 gas stops. I have never looked back. I don't think I could find a more satisfying bike to have. I had a $2500 paint job on my cruiser and I still get more people asking me about the FJR, especially since I put the Beowulf exhaust on. Go figure, and I don't wash my bike nearly as much as the cruiser. I rather ride than wash.

Just to point out, one can ride AND keep the bike clean. I have an '06 (best color :) ) and I ride a decent amount given all the other constraints on my time (did a 1400 mile four day trip three weeks ago with a 500 mile single day trip two weeks before that) and yet I STILL keep the bike very, very clean. I recently did a full wash, polish, and wax on the bike...and then immediately went for a ride. I see cleaning the bike, keeping a clean bike, as part of my basic maintenance routine. NOT saying that it is what everyone else should do, but one can keep the bike clean and still ride the snot out of it. ;)
X2

I do keep the FJR clean, but it is just so much easier and quicker to clean than spending 2-3 times on all the chrome on the old cruiser. Again I am so impressed on what I can do with the bike and the distance I can travel without fatigue, and meanwhile having a ball doing it.

I enjoy my cruiser and my FJR. What cracks me up is when people ask why I wear a full face helmet on my cruiser. I tell them I like my current face configuration. People are so paranoid about image it's pathetic.

I did enjoy my cruiser to a certain degree, BUT, the FJR seems to take a lot less effort to ride, and I have sooo much more fun on it. Coffee runs on my cruiser were just to a local place it town, but coffee runs on the FJR are 125-150kms one way and great.

I only began riding about six years ago. At the time, I could not afford a Harley, so I bought a Honda VTX and all of the black uniform stuff to be part of the "cruiser lifestyle." I followed the recipe almost to a "T" - washed the bike often, polished it more than rode it, and never rode if it looked like rain. Two years ago I had a vision and was instructed to buy a 08 FJR, sold the cruiser, and have never looked back. However, I am wondering if I have not been abusive to the FJR. I've washed it only once since I had it, put as many miles on it in two years as I did the VTX in four, and I am just as likely to take a spontaneous ride in grass covered jeans and work boots (tan not black). Rain? Who cares - it sort of washes the bike. I seem to feel more freedom and individuality now than when I looked like everyone else on a cruiser. I feel like I have drifted away from my roots.
I've never taken a hose to my FJR. Wipe it down after rain, use a spray product on the finish/windshield often to wipe bugs, dust off. Just ride it like you're doing and forget that cruiser crap :)

I enjoy my cruiser and my FJR. What cracks me up is when people ask why I wear a full face helmet on my cruiser. I tell them I like my current face configuration. People are so paranoid about image it's pathetic.
I'm near the freeway today at a light. Harley, guy with a 1/2 helmet, black leather jacket, no gloves, funky-ass shorts, tennis shoes.

Damn he looked goofy and these guys must think it is impossible for them to go down!

All the wrecks lately have been cruisers and such.

Hmm.

I have friends whom are ultra-neat freaks. I am not one of them, but I do like the bike to be mostly clean. When I am on a multi-day ride, the FJR will be as dirty as it can be.....bugs, rain, occasional gravel roads. Big deal, I'm riding it, and it's going to get dirty.

That said, there's something very satisfying about coming home from a 150-to-500 mile day, spent on twisty roads, and putting the bike on the centerstand in the garage. Next step, go into the house and fill up my Bubba mug with ice, Crown Royal Black and 7-up and/or orange pineapple juice. Out to the garage, and tune the radio to my favorite station or a ball game, and wash the bike with a rag, a bucket of water, and a micro-fiber cloth to dry. Take your time. Enjoy the thoughts of your ride earlier that day. Great way to end the day, and I have a clean bike in the end.

On the other hand, I've come home from a ride too tired, or have something else to attend to right away, and the bike will sit for days all filthy and grungy. Doesn't bother me that way, either.

No, you're not abusing your bike. You're finding out what enjoying a real ride is all about. Good for you.

I have friends whom are ultra-neat freaks. I am not one of them, but I do like the bike to be mostly clean. When I am on a multi-day ride, the FJR will be as dirty as it can be.....bugs, rain, occasional gravel roads. Big deal, I'm riding it, and it's going to get dirty.

That said, there's something very satisfying about coming home from a 150-to-500 mile day, spent on twisty roads, and putting the bike on the centerstand in the garage. Next step, go into the house and fill up my Bubba mug with ice, Crown Royal Black and 7-up and/or orange pineapple juice. Out to the garage, and tune the radio to my favorite station or a ball game, and wash the bike with a rag, a bucket of water, and a micro-fiber cloth to dry. Take your time. Enjoy the thoughts of your ride earlier that day. Great way to end the day, and I have a clean bike in the end.

On the other hand, I've come home from a ride too tired, or have something else to attend to right away, and the bike will sit for days all filthy and grungy. Doesn't bother me that way, either.

No, you're not abusing your bike. You're finding out what enjoying a real ride is all about. Good for you.
fill up my Bubba mug with ice, Crown Royal Black and 7-up and/or orange pineapple juice. Huh a bubba mug eh? Do you wash your bike before you finish that gallon of Crown or after?lol Sounds tasty, I'm gonna have to try that.

Last edited by a moderator: