HD are safer!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cougar8000

Reaction score
Yeah,

while getting water in the cafeteria this morning our executive assistant, both of them, tells me that HD are safer then sport or sport touring bikes. And the emphasis was on the HD, not just any other cruiser. :D

People are way too funny sometimes. I started by explaining that sport bike has better brakes, can change lanes quicker, etc. But after one minute I quickly realized that I am wasting my breath and just agreed with her and wished her son who rides an HD a safe riding and she has reciprocated with the same.

That must be what "junior" told her when he hit her up for the extra $10K to buy a motorycle.

Of course Harleys are safer. Someone around here ended there posts with something like this- "Speed kills- ride a Harley live forever".

HD are safer!!!,
And faster too.
Last weekend a kid rounding up carts in the grocery store parking lot came over to talk bikes. Said he liked the looks of my bike but he wanted to get a HD because they are way faster than Jap bikes. It took a few minutes to confirm that he was serious. I asked him if his friends may have been making a joke at his expense but he says no, his friends regularly blow away bikes like mine. He seems to have all the potential to be a very successful HD owner :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
HD's are smoother, and more reliable as well. I have to admit that they are getting better, but COME ON!

Of course they are safer. If you ride less and spend more time cleaning chrome, then you are less likely to be in an accident. :blink:

Last Saturday evening, got to somewhat help a HD rider (first for me). Seems he had broke down on the side of the road and couldn't get the bike to keep running. This was one very old HD to include duct tape in leau of frame welds (just kidding). His girlfriend thanked me for stopping, I turned the emergency lights on and positioned the headlights so he could attempt his fix at fuel line clogage (just guessing). While the small talk continued with the girlfriend, I would catch her trying to take a look at my (ahem) bike. She just couldn't create any questions or comments like, "What kind of bike is that?" or "That sure is a nice bike for fear of upsetting the dude under the dew rag. Then his father arrived in a truck [insert Sanford and Son theme song], they thanked me and I went my merry way. HD's are safer, they're on the side of the road being worked on all the time (sorry for the redundant theme). :beach:

I guess HDS aren't Quick enough to get in trouble------------uh no scrub that----------that would mean they're not Quick enough to get out of trouble----------self cancelling thought. :blink:

Daniel Lupercio, 44, of Gilbert died when his Harley-Davidson™ collided with a silver 2004 Dodge pickup about 5:30 p.m. while westbound on Baseline, police Lt. Joe Ruet said.

Lupercio, who had the right of way, was not wearing a helmet, Ruet said.

The driver of the truck, Michael Curtis Vogel, 45, of Mesa, was traveling south on Miramar and did not yield to Lupercio when he hit his Harley-Davidson™ broadside, Ruet said.

Obviously Vogel is deaf or Lupercio's Harley-Davidson™ was brand new and had not yet had the "Loud pipes saves lives" Screamin' Chicken™ exhaust system installed yet. Otherwise Vogel would have been made aware of Lupercio's Harley-Davidson™ and the accident never would have happened... ;)

Ionbeam, you must have run into a friend of Ron 'Spyder' Kruss... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn....Bob the builder beats me to the Spider comment....any faster & I would have thought he had borrowed Spiders super fast HD :lol: ....

Actually, I think HDs are a great model for what's wrong with America.

Inferior technology, build quality, performance (however you want to define) and reliability. But you gotta love 'em for the "image." GREAT MARKETING!

And, I've never seen an HD rider wear a helmet other than the useless skullcap variety.

<snip>....Obviously Vogel is deaf or Lupercio's Harley-Davidson™ was brand new and had not yet had the "Loud pipes saves lives" Screamin' Chicken™ exhaust system installed yet. Otherwise Vogel would have been made aware of Lupercio's Harley-Davidson™ and the accident never would have happened... ;)
He may have gotten it that way...?As per biker talk (just yesterday) in my driveway with neighbor (down the block) Fred: Told me he just got back with his new 96 'cubit inch' Electric Glider "Classic" (trailered it the 200 mi.to home). Has the custom exhaust (may be "a bit too loud" he suggests). Apparently never rode it (might not have even heard it) with the stock exhausts. "Had to have the computer re-map sent from the factory" he says "for the extra power".

I think I heard it the other day in the neighborhood? And thought, "Who or What the hell is that?"

Actually, I think HDs are a great model for what's wrong with America.
Inferior technology, build quality, performance (however you want to define) and reliability. But you gotta love 'em for the "image." GREAT MARKETING!

And, I've never seen an HD rider wear a helmet other than the useless skullcap variety.
Does that equate to "Fat, Dumb, and Happy?" :huh:

Yeah,
while getting water in the cafeteria this morning our executive assistant, both of them, tells me that HD are safer then sport or sport touring bikes. And the emphasis was on the HD, not just any other cruiser. :D

People are way too funny sometimes. I started by explaining that sport bike has better brakes, can change lanes quicker, etc. But after one minute I quickly realized that I am wasting my breath and just agreed with her and wished her son who rides an HD a safe riding and she has reciprocated with the same.

Harley's are "safer" because accoridng to some MoCo statistics I read somewhere, the "average" H-D owner rides a whole 2000 miles per year...

So statistically, they are safer.... However, most of my trips this year were over 2000.... ummm...including a ride from San Diego to Cleveland, and a couple other "short" hops.... came out to about 8500 miles...that' not very good. But that does makes me an "unsafe" Harley owner! YAY!

And a "safe" FJR owner, cause I really only did one trip this year.... :eek: (

Only 6000 miles.... :eek: (

I promise I'll do better next year!

So Harley's are safer....

Besides, they dont' go as fast.

Mine like to cruise around 85 or so... Feejr likes to cruise..... ummmm ok, totally at the speed limit! :rofl:

Especially since my Deuce is sitting right now in a trailer.... worn out rear tire and a short in the rear lights somewhere... oh well, can fix abnd farkel this winter.... GPS and radar...<G>

Mary

Of course they are safer. If you ride less and spend more time cleaning chrome, then you are less likely to be in an accident. :blink:
My neighbor has a HD. It looks really good parked in front of his house on weekends. He said he'd put more miles on it, but it's so uncomfortable that he really can't. I let him ride my FJR. He said it's better in every way, but he's still gonna buy a FLHZ Street Glide. Why? It's a Harley and he's a Harley guy.

Even when they know the competition is better, they stick with Harley. Oh well, as long as they are happy. At least my buddy know's I have the better bike :)