HD encouraging stealth

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
I was in a Harley dealership a couple of weeks ago and saw a poster back in the coffee area that was advocating consideration of the effects of excessive noise on the citizenry and lawmakers. I thought that it was a mature step on the part of the company to encourage quieting things down. But those HD execs are no fools; even in this case they must be aware of the potential effects of excessive noise on the bottom line, probably more so than the idea of social responsibility.

OH man, they are going to get sued because everyone knows "Loud Pipes Save Lives." First time someone dies on a quiet HD, they had better look out.

With state and local noise ordinances directed at motorcycles proliferating across the country, HD has no choice but to take on the political position of AMA and others. Better to control your own, than to be regulated or banned.

I believe they have stopped making "off-road only" (louder) pipes as part of this campaign...
I understand the stock mufflers are too quiet for some, but what I don't get is spending $$$ on aftermarket units when about an hours labor spent modding the stockers produces reasonable rumble and costs NOTHING.

I believe they have stopped making "off-road only" (louder) pipes as part of this campaign...
I understand the stock mufflers are too quiet for some, but what I don't get is spending $$$ on aftermarket units when about an hours labor spent modding the stockers produces reasonable rumble and costs NOTHING.
See, there's this odd corner of the universe where,

my guess is HD will play the "conflicting views" game for as long as they legally can. They know their clientele would rather die then own a quiet Harley.

I like how the poster is stuffed back as far out of the main traffic as they could put it and still answer properly to corporate HQ if asked.

Bounce, the same occurred to me. It was rather obscurely hanging up with all the other posters for poker runs and rallies on a bulletin board between the coffee area and bathrooms. It is a pretty "stealthy" campaign.