HD Super Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatoneMuerto

Reaction score
Today just for grins I stopped at a HD store to take them up on the latest promo.Last HD that saw my butt was thirty eight years ago.Got rid of it after it busted my ankle trying to start it.I thought I would give them another chance but not much has changed in my opinion of the brand.I did ride one that had decent power.It would move when you twist the throttle and not just fart.Fit and finish was good.The ride was smooth as long as you kept the rpms in the sweet spot.Sat down to talk money and with just 10k down the payments would be only $489/m for six years!For that kind of money I could get a new Can Am RT and still have money left over for a really decent used FJR ,track or sport bike.Wife warned me that if I came home with it I would not have to worry about a divorce she would be selling off my toys to be paying for a defense attourney.I can just see my .308 pointed at me!

Last edited by a moderator:
This weekend was the ROT Ralley in Austin. I rode the FJR to Luckenback to mingle with 300 HD riders on their $20k bikes. I was the only one with gear. I think they spent all their remaining money on leather vests and bandannas.

One of my best friends just bought a brand new Harley Ultra-Glide...I think. It is the touring model with the trunk, bags, Cruise control, stereo and speakers in the fairing...So, we were on our way up to Red River for the Memorial Day rally and stopped at a rest stop so the girls could hit the restrooms. While they were gone he tells me to take the bike for a ride.

I was on it less than 20 seconds when I thought I drug a floor board. I wasn't even doing anything agressive. So being amazed at the lack of cornering clearance, I rode a couple of good u-turns in both directions and drug the "boards" all the way through. When I got the bike back to him, I mentioned the boards being low. He looked underneath and turns out I was NOT dragging the boards. I was dragging the heat shield for the pipes that for some reason goes underneath the bike. Holy shit...I cannot imagine the pucker factor if a person hit a curved off-ramp just a little too fast and started dragging hard parts at speed.

At idle, the bike shook like a paint shaker, but smoothed out as soon as the throttle moved. It was actually comfortable, had good brakes and would be good for freeway riding across the country, but that clearance issue would be hard to get over.

One of my best friends just bought a brand new Harley Ultra-Glide...I think. It is the touring model with the trunk, bags, Cruise control, stereo and speakers in the fairing...So, we were on our way up to Red River for the Memorial Day rally and stopped at a rest stop so the girls could hit the restrooms. While they were gone he tells me to take the bike for a ride.
I was on it less than 20 seconds when I thought I drug a floor board. I wasn't even doing anything agressive. So being amazed at the lack of cornering clearance, I rode a couple of good u-turns in both directions and drug the "boards" all the way through. When I got the bike back to him, I mentioned the boards being low. He looked underneath and turns out I was NOT dragging the boards. I was dragging the heat shield for the pipes that for some reason goes underneath the bike. Holy shit...I cannot imagine the pucker factor if a person hit a curved off-ramp just a little too fast and started dragging hard parts at speed.

At idle, the bike shook like a paint shaker, but smoothed out as soon as the throttle moved. It was actually comfortable, had good brakes and would be good for freeway riding across the country, but that clearance issue would be hard to get over.
I rode the Ultra Classic with a 103 ci engine.I found the sweet spot @2500rpms and was great freeway rider.I did the same thing in a hard turn coming off the freeway that had a hard right after the exit.Was a little unnerving.The idea of buying a 35k paint shaker at idle doesnt appeal to me.Someone told me thay are engineered to shake like that at idle.I just cant see paying that much money for one when you can get a K series BMW,Can Am RTS or Wing for less

As the saying goes " If I have to explain , you wouldn't understand"

I love my FJR , it is in most ways a vastly superior motorcycle , i.e. handling , braking , acceleration , price , ease of maintenance.

I will however not ever sell my HD, it is far more comfortable, and relaxing on those days I want to just kick back. I've done Deals Gap and many similar roads , never dragged a floor board , even 2 up. Of course it isn't anywhere near stock, but most HD"s aren't . The ladies in my life love riding on the back . My 18 yr old daughter , who is notoriously critical , says it's so comfy she can take a nap on the back.

to each thier own ...

I rode the Ultra Classic with a 103 ci engine.I found the sweet spot @2500rpms and was great freeway rider.I did the same thing in a hard turn coming off the freeway that had a hard right after the exit.Was a little unnerving.The idea of buying a 35k paint shaker at idle doesnt appeal to me.Someone told me thay are engineered to shake like that at idle.I just cant see paying that much money for one when you can get a K series BMW,Can Am RTS or Wing for less
The Ultra Limited, the one with the 103" engine is $25,000 not $35, still expensive for sure. But a Can Am?

DC

Last time I was in at HD dealership I was on a road trip, and stopped in to buy a T-shirt for someone.

Walked in wearing my power ranger suit and everybody ran, had to chase down the parts guy to get the shirt , figured a test ride was out of the question.

Might ya have checked the air in the tires ya armadillo fuk!

Funny ya mention "hard parts".... I hear you haven't seen one of them since you boinked that Burro at papas last month..

Sad....

:jester:

The Ultra Limited, the one with the 103" engine is $25,000 not $35, still expensive for sure. But a Can Am?

DC
Yea.Can Am RT.Funky fun,almost car like,10k cheaper that any other trike and at least reminds me of days past of snowmobiles in Wyoming.Call it marital compromise.The HD I rode was tweaked a lot by the shop which means more money.The fact is the numbers were 10k down and $489/m for FIVE YEARS.Wife told me that if I got it I would have to worry about a divoce.She would sell all my stuff to pay for a good defense attourney for killing me

Hi All:

Prior to my 2007 FJR I spent 23K miles on an HD Super Glide Sport (FXDX) which was their version of a sport bike. It had dual discs up front, single disc on the rear, adjustable front suspension, and was genuinely fun to ride. Now, was it the equivalent of an FJR - of course not, it was not meant to be.

It never leaked a drop of oil, never stranded me, sounded great and the paint job was fantastic (standard vivid black with the 100th anniv striping on the tank).

I wish it was still in the garage as an addition to the FJR, but I needed the $$ to fund the FJR purchase. Admittedly, the mindset of many that ride HDs is laughable, but you really can't argue with how many of them are riden on a regular basis. I do laugh at the get-ups many of them wear (like leather vests and do-rags), but they too may laugh at me in my Tourmaster Transition II.

Would I trade the FJR for the FXDX, no, but I wouldn't mind having it there still as a stablemate.

IMHO, YMMV.

biknflyfisher

keep your fly line on the water and your FJR on the road.

I love my FJR and in the Garage she'll stay...atleast until we get a peak at GenIII.

I also have a '03 HD Dyna FXDP that I will not part with. Its a great bike in its own and very different way. Here is how I have fun...I take the HD to the sportbike events and the Feej to the HD rallys! Much more fun that way. The HD boys will ask tons of questions about the FJR too!!!

...10k down the payments would be only $489/m for six years!For that kind of money I could get a new Can Am RT and still have money left over
...HD I rode was tweaked a lot by the shop which means more money.The fact is the numbers were 10k down and $489/m for FIVE YEARS.
It's still, real close to, $40,000 USD

"Seriously...??" :unsure:

I guess -- what's $5K ~ $10K at that level?

Just the idea of comparing a CanAm Trike to a motorcycle tells me all I need to know.

As the saying goes " If I have to explain , you wouldn't understand" I love my FJR , it is in most ways a vastly superior motorcycle , i.e. handling , braking , acceleration , price , ease of maintenance.

I will however not ever sell my HD, it is far more comfortable, and relaxing on those days I want to just kick back. I've done Deals Gap and many similar roads , never dragged a floor board , even 2 up. Of course it isn't anywhere near stock, but most HD"s aren't . The ladies in my life love riding on the back . My 18 yr old daughter , who is notoriously critical , says it's so comfy she can take a nap on the back.

to each thier own ...
Sounds illogical to me... :blink: :huh:

So...(by inference), in all those ways mentioned (underlined) the H-D is a vastly inferior motorcycle...? :unsure:

Nicely altruistic, though, to buy a motorcycle for others' enjoyment... :rolleyes:

The best thing about H-D is the dealer network. They're everywhere, and some (many?) will do rentals.

Every spring I visit our local dealer. They are very courteous and helpful.

Still, I've never owned one. Having come at it from the sport bike side, there are just too many issues to overcome. I still have nightmares over talking a friend into an Aermachi (sp?) sourced H-D Sprint in 1967 over a CB77.

I understand why others like them though.