HD vs FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to say Stanley, you were much better looking back then! JSNS!!!
Mi bueno Amigo El Grande Juan el Dakota Sur, I used to have a body like a Greek God, now Papa Chuy Viejo has a body like a GOD DAMN GREEK! I have to admit Irish Whiskey and Irish Beer have not been kind to me, same goes for loose women! jes' sayin' and nuff said, my Sincerest Apologies to Mihalis FJR ese!

Last edited by a moderator:
He had the same accident that many of us experienced... you know, the one where you accidently got old, fat and ugly.

Wondered why I always got confused brain trying to figure out the HD model codes, guess THIS is why. So much for KISS.

We also (presently) own a 2008 Harley FLSTF (Fatboy) and a 2015 FLSTC (Heritage Softail Classic)
I know, right?

I admit that I sometimes have to look at the owner's manual to discover the exact model nomenclature.

Hi Bounce, other than my doing my own regular maintenance and a top end job at 175,000 miles and replacing the Gates Drive Belt every 75,000 miles as a precaution: It is all original with the exception of one clutch at 135,000 miles, plus brake pads of course! Please bear in mind I have done NO "hop up" modifications on my H-D V-Twin, I am fully convinced that this is "The Kiss of Death" on Harleys: Leave them stock and they will run forever, our Nation's Harley-Davidson Police Department Specials prove this. JSNS!
Nice. I find it curious how a list of "only these items" is often given then a "with the exception of" comes that adds to the list.

I was simply wondering since the senator who had his "million mile HD" put on display in spite of at least one top end, one bottom end, a frame, a transmission and a list of other things that brought the hammer metaphor home.

Hi Bounce, other than my doing my own regular maintenance and a top end job at 175,000 miles and replacing the Gates Drive Belt every 75,000 miles as a precaution: It is all original with the exception of one clutch at 135,000 miles, plus brake pads of course! Please bear in mind I have done NO "hop up" modifications on my H-D V-Twin, I am fully convinced that this is "The Kiss of Death" on Harleys: Leave them stock and they will run forever, our Nation's Harley-Davidson Police Department Specials prove this. JSNS!
Nice. I find it curious how a list of "only these items" is often given then a "with the exception of" comes that adds to the list.

I was simply wondering since the senator who had his "million mile HD" put on display in spite of at least one top end, one bottom end, a frame, a transmission and a list of other things that brought the hammer metaphor home.
Nope: No bottom end, transmission, etceteras or frame replaced on Big Red; as fat as I am, it is no wonder I had to replace my Clutch! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Fatso!

Around here, the story is told about the DownEast Yankee who has been splitting wood with the same ax for 50 years now. Of course he has replaced the handle numerous times and the head twice, but it still works just as good as new.
wink.png

Geeze Fred, I've got George Washington's hatchet, I'll bring it to the next NERDS ride and show it to you. It's a real museum piece, the handle has been changed 3 times and the head twice but the provenance has been solidly retained without change.

I'm a long time Harley rider new to FJRs and I have to laugh about the transmission clunk, Yamaha has nothing over Harley with the clunk. It was so loud on my 2012 FJR that I let a long time FJR rider test my bike to tell me it was normal. LOL

It is true that 50,000 miles is considered a lot of miles for resale on a Harley, but I have been buying a selling bikes for a long time and 50,000 mile FJRs don't sell any better here in the US. In fact, when it comes to holding resale value, Harleys and Goldwings are on top of my list for holding resale. Used FJRs are cheap. As an example, the price of any 1975 Harley anything is about the same price of their 2005 equivalent.

Harleys have their place. They are the number one selling motorcycle manufacturer in the US with their cheaper bikes closer to the FJR price range. The average Harley owner didn't buy performance, they bought nostagia. And while I understand that seems odd to performance minded motorcycle riders, consider the newest entry in the market, Polaris Indian. Polaris brags that their Indians perform better than it's main competition Harleys, but they have nothing compaired to FJRs or any other SPORT Touring bike because they also are designed to appeal the nostalgic buyer. And they selling as fast as they hit the stores. Nostalgia is a pretty powerful draw.

Still, there is something to be said for performance and that is where Sport Touring bikes come in. There are a lot of Harley owners who have Sport Touring bikes to satisfy all the senses.

I really enjoy my FJR for it's performance and different style of riding. And I can see keeping it for a long time, but it will always sit next to a Harley. Or maybe an Indian down the road.

Beary

Got nothing against Harleys or Harley riders in general -- most of them around here are honest gearheads or high-income guys out for a good time. You know, like these guys: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486946/

Assholes appear on all models of car, truck, and motorbike.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2011-Harley-Davidson-FLHTCU---ULTRA-CLASS-113164483 God Damn I wish I hadn't seen this thread, I'm going out to test ride this H-D! My Riding Friend Mr. Bob Parsons (GoDaddy.com Owner and USMC Vietnam Veteran!) owns this Dealership, I bought my BMW GS from his GO-AZ multi-brand store! My BMW K1600GT was also bought from GO-AZ, BP runs a great M/C Enterprise here in Arizona (also Ducati-KTM-Vespa-Honda-Triumph-Ural-Kawasaki-Aprilia)! JSNS, +1-Gunny!

For the uneducated Harley efficianatto it looks the same as last years bike and the year before and the year before that and so on. If you don't like change buy one.

Good luck,

Dave

FJRBill wrote:

... Bought the Moto Guzzi on the spot...
Well, your CD collection
Looks shiny and costly
How much did you pay for your bad Moto Guzzi?
And how much did you spend
On your black leather jacket?
Is it you or your parents in this income tax bracket?

Now, tickets to concerts
And drinking at clubs
Sometimes for music that you haven't even heard of
And how much did you pay for
Your rock 'n' roll T-shirt
That proves you were there, that you heard of them first?

Now, how do you afford your rock 'n' roll lifestyle?
How do you afford your rock 'n' roll lifestyle?
Oh, tell me

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2011-Harley-Davidson-FLHTCU---ULTRA-CLASS-113164483 God Damn I wish I hadn't seen this thread, I'm going out to test ride this H-D! My Riding Friend Mr. Bob Parsons (GoDaddy.com Owner and USMC Vietnam Veteran!) owns this Dealership, I bought my BMW GS from his GO-AZ multi-brand store! My BMW K1600GT was also bought from GO-AZ, BP runs a great M/C Enterprise here in Arizona (also Ducati-KTM-Vespa-Honda-Triumph-Ural-Kawasaki-Aprilia)! JSNS, +1-Gunny!
72 thousand miles! That Harley didn't sit in the garage much getting its chrome polished. Looks nice.

FJRBill wrote:
... Bought the Moto Guzzi on the spot...
Well, your CD collection

Looks shiny and costly

How much did you pay for your bad Moto Guzzi?

And how much did you spend

On your black leather jacket?

Is it you or your parents in this income tax bracket?

Now, tickets to concerts

And drinking at clubs

Sometimes for music that you haven't even heard of

And how much did you pay for

Your rock 'n' roll T-shirt

That proves you were there, that you heard of them first?

Now, how do you afford your rock 'n' roll lifestyle?

Oh, tell me
Right! Owning a Moto Guzzi is part of a rock star life. You are a loner and I mean a loner, ain't nobody else out there. At Guzzi rallies, if two show up it's considered a success. Most of us wear coveralls and mud boots. Bluegrass tunes, our favorites. We can't afford no stinkin' rock 'n roll lifestyle. What are you smokin'? FJR Bill