Headlamp problem-need help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly Bye

Reaction score
New stock Yamaha headlamps installed on my '08 today.

The right headlamp is not working and the inside of the lens has a foggy grey haze.

The blown bulb looks to be intact.

I am not a happy guy right now but I sure could use some advice.

Thank you.

Bob

Did you change them yourself? If so, you checked the connector? Did you touch the headlamp glass with your hand at all?

As for foggy, is it condensation? If so, did you get the boot back in place correctly?

The work was done at a very reputable independent shop.

I spoke with the owner mechanic and he is willing to jump through hoops to fix this.

The glass was not touched.

As for foggy, it is not condensation as I see it, it looks like it smoked.

The kicker is I had the shop clean and lube the tracts to the up/down windshield mechanism, since they were in there I had them replace the bulbs with new ones.

So much for preventative maintenance.

Thank you for your input Ignacio.

It sounds a little like powder residue from a bulb that has actually blown ... glass broken "blown"

It sounds a little like powder residue from a bulb that has actually blown ... glass broken "blown"
That is what I had in the back of my mind. I just went to inspect the lens with magnifying glass. Guess what...no broken glass and Ignasio was correct the gray haze is condensation, it is receding.

Guys I am stumped. Why condensation? Never happened before and today was a fair weather day.

So I have a failed lamp and condensation. Can this condensation be a problem with the boot as Ignacio stated?

Failed lamp and boot?

Lucky me.

My left front signal lens got some condensation in it out of nowhere a while ago. I ignored it and it eventually when away. It never came back. It's a mystery. :)

My left front signal lens got some condensation in it out of nowhere a while ago. I ignored it and it eventually when away. It never came back. It's a mystery.
smile.png
It is a mystery for sure. The FJR has spent all winter in Palm Springs Ca. and the weather here in Boise is not extreme.

Go figure.

My left front signal lens got some condensation in it out of nowhere a while ago. I ignored it and it eventually when away. It never came back. It's a mystery.
smile.png
It is a mystery for sure. The FJR has spent all winter in Palm Springs Ca. and the weather here in Boise is not extreme.

Go figure.

All I can add is that you had better get it fixed before June 23.

smile.png

Go figure.

All I can add is that you had better get it fixed before June 23.
Oh Jer not to worry I read you loud and clear.

It is going to fixed tomorrow rain or shine.

When the bulb was out maybe it was just a bit humid, allowing moist air into the assembly. When it cools, it condenses.

Doesn't explain the dead bulb, but "appears to be intact" is not even close to a valid bulb test. Maybe they replaced your bulb with a bad one off the shelf.