Headlight Bulb Change Hack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You wouldn't believe the things these car designers are coming up with these days... Jammin 50# of shit in a 5# bag..

I'm glad I'm not a wrench, those guys don't have much of a good time on anything any more...

Here's my issue. No bulbs burning in low beam. Both bulbs working in high beam. So is it the left or right bulb that has the problem?

I have done bulb replacements but I forget. Here's the order of steps I think are needed, Hopefully someone will confirm or clarify:

1. Pull off rubber cover.

2. Unplug the 3 way plug.

3. Find wire clip, unfasten it

4. Remove/replace bulb.

I'm just not sure if you pull the plug first or remove the rubber cover first.

Bill

Damn! I just did this a week ago, and when I started to answer you, I swear I'd forgotten already! So I went outside and checked. Just unplug the connector, then remove the rubber boot/cover thing, then undo the spring clip and pull out the old bulb. I might be wrong, but I don't think you even could get the boot over the plug--hole would be too small. But try the test-fit of the wire clip without the bulb in before reassembly. Really helped me.

I guess I'm a lucky SOB. So far I've had three FJR's and never had a bulb of any kind go out. If the head light bulb goes I may just buy a new bike and avoid the hassle of changing the bulb or find a very handy young female with small hands and offer her a few drinks in-kind for doing the job!

I've only had my FJR a few weeks and have already learned this is one of those maintenance issues that make me dearly love some of the dated design ques of my Harley. Changing the light bulb MIGHT take a whole 10 minutes. Changing an air filter, takes 5 minutes on a bad day....Luckily, modern bulbs usually last a good long time! Not looking forward to when on does fail, no tiny hands here. Think I will make it an event and maybe invite some friends over and fire up the grill!

agent.gif

You did the right thing by seeing how the wire bail works while the bulb is out. Now you can do it blindfolded...... yep a little slicone grease boot works wonders (I put some on the big diameter too). Makes removal next time a breeze.

Mostly I've found if one goes, the other's not far behind (hours or a few days)..... replace one or both, don't matter.

Don's right. Changing out bulb no. 2 today--at least now I should still know how to do it.

Everybody always says to change 'em both if you change one. Hah! What do they know? I got three whole extra months free from the one bulb that was still burning when I bought that new pair in April. Joke's on those guys.
biggrin.png

Guess I'm the odd one out on here. I've changed the right side bulb twice so far and the left is still burning brightly. Hope I didn't just jinx myself...
uhoh.gif

I guess I'm a lucky SOB. So far I've had three FJR's and never had a bulb of any kind go out. If the head light bulb goes I may just buy a new bike and avoid the hassle of changing the bulb or find a very handy young female with small hands and offer her a few drinks in-kind for doing the job!
I likez the way you think!

1240171852144.gif

Just lost my left low beam a couple of days ago. It seems like the left one is the first to go - it has happened three times in almost 140,000 miles. I always replace both at the same time. This one was the easiest change ever for me. Despite my XXL glove sized hands, I got both changed in around 15 minutes. Most of the skin on the backs of my hands is still intact!

I've not yet had the privilege of changing a headlight bulb. When the time comes, what is the best replacement bulb(s)? Hopefully there is a brand that provides a very bright white light and has a proven long life span??

I've not yet had the privilege of changing a headlight bulb. When the time comes, what is the best replacement bulb(s)? Hopefully there is a brand that provides a very bright white light and has a proven long life span??
Well I'll go out on a limb here and tell you I am very happy with the 4-Emitter LEDs from ledrider.com.

The beam pattern is not the nice, crisp cut-off some prefer, but neither does it disturb oncoming motorists. If power saving is an issue for you, those bulbs are 20W each for 2200 lumens.

Well I'll go out on a limb here and tell you I am very happy with the 4-Emitter LEDs from ledrider.com.

The beam pattern is not the nice, crisp cut-off some prefer, but neither does it disturb oncoming motorists. If power saving is an issue for you, those bulbs are 20W each for 2200 lumens.
Thanks Twigg. Do the 4-Emitter LED's require changing out the reflectors and mounting a transformer? I am not concerned about the beam pattern as I do not ride at night.

Thanks Twigg. Do the 4-Emitter LED's require changing out the reflectors and mounting a transformer? I am not concerned about the beam pattern as I do not ride at night.
They require minor surgery on the rubber boots. Other than that they fit fine.

If you don't ride at night, then your lights are just for extra visibility. I'd stick in any known brand of standard halogen. Avoid the ones claiming extra-bright output. They cost more and don't last as long.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned there is a hole in the reflector that allows you to view from the front the locking clip. It really helps getting everything lined up.

Bill

I'm surprised no one has mentioned there is a hole in the reflector that allows you to view from the front the locking clip. It really helps getting everything lined up.Bill
True dat. Especially getting the bulb in and past the wire bale/locking clip to start the whole thing off. And the left bulb replacement (which is supposed to be the tougher one, at least on a Gen I) went as easy as the right side did, after checking out the alignment of the bale before I put the bulb in place, per post no. 1. No panel removal needed, either side.

Also, +1 on jmgrif's advice to lube up the inside of the rubber boot with some dielectric grease to get it to slide back over the bulb base--it really wants to fight going back on. Tried the grease for the first time on the left side, and it's a LOT easier.

Last edited by a moderator: