Headlight modulator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Flying Dutchman

Reaction score
Anyone used the Kisan Headlight modulator. It's supposed to be plug and play for the FJR. Modulates the high beam. As an aside, do you think this is a useful safety feature?

Dutch1201

Hey Dutch...

I have not used one; I can tell you the few times I have seen them on the road, it does draw attention to you fast, and from a great distance; that can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on your perspective (i.e. relative geographic position to LEOs cross-referenced with your nominal speed at that time :rolleyes: ) (Usually I see them on 'Wings).

I've been thinking about getting one for my FJR. I had a Kisan HM on my VTX (before I sold it) and I feel it made a difference in being noticed. It was a pretty easy install on the VTX but I think it'll take a little longer to install on the FJR. The one I had came with a light sensor to cut out the modulating function at night. The light sensor (night time cut off) was pretty sensitive and adjustable thru a sequence using the high beam switch and the ignition. I had it adjusted so that just passing under a "good" size bridge would cut out the modulating.

K

First time I ever saw one I was driving my truck; I didn't know what the hell it was. Got mesmerized and the poor biker almost had FORD printed on his helmet. So I've been spooked on the idea. Wouldn't want some 80-year-old retired Californian wondering what that UFO is......

P.S. Nothing against Californians, just have a boatload of retired ones around here in Southern Oregon.

I've been thinking about getting one for my FJR. I had a Kisan HM on my VTX (before I sold it) and I feel it made a difference in being noticed. It was a pretty easy install on the VTX but I think it'll take a little longer to install on the FJR. The one I had came with a light sensor to cut out the modulating function at night. The light sensor (night time cut off) was pretty sensitive and adjustable thru a sequence using the high beam switch and the ignition. I had it adjusted so that just passing under a "good" size bridge would cut out the modulating.
K
Now that cutoff switch at night sounds more promising, as they are not as dangerous (IMHO) in daylight. But it still might bug somebody I'm stuck behind in traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that cutoff switch at night sounds more promising, as they are not as dangerous (IMHO) in daylight.
DOT regulations strictly prohibit modulator use at night even if momentarily. Ditto for Canada.

AGirl
I guess the guys (or gals) I have seen using them in Oregon haven't been pulled over yet. The guy I almost creamed was at night on a two laner coming in the opposite lane.

I asked my Riding instructor last year about them and he said he and his fellow instructors were high on tail light regulators, but split on the merits of headlight modulators....as I am. Has any research on their safety/utility in crash data been done?

I have one and swear by them, saved my bacon more than once. Turn it off during group rides and when it will confuse poor little old ladies. The photo cell prevents it from pulsing at night and most low light conditions. It is plug and play, providing you can get to the tight spot behind the right headlight.

I have one and swear by them, saved my bacon more than once. Turn it off during group rides and when it will confuse poor little old ladies. The photo cell prevents it from pulsing at night and most low light conditions. It is plug and play, providing you can get to the tight spot behind the right headlight.
Just installed one from comagination which I reviewed through webbikeworld. Good review, great explanation and went on very easy! Price was lower than Kasan. They do stop fashing in low light and night time. When you don't want to use them, simply switch to low beams. That simple!

I live in a old folks area (Stuart, Fl) where a biker is killed about once a month by a car pulling out in front of a biker! So the flashing could possibly prevent a biker blending in with the cars behind them. Anything you can do to raise your visibility is a plus in my mind.

As far as the highway and getting a ticket for speeding, I just don't go faster than the fastest car, but have contemplated switching to low beams on the turnpike.

Altough not designed in [?] , I've found that slow moving vehicles are more likely to pull over to allow me to pass when the modulator is on............

Seems they think I'm an emergency vehicle !

I have four motorcycles and all of them have the Kisan headlight modulator installed. On numerous occasions, a cager was about to make a left turn in front of me and then stopped midway staring at me (no doubt wondering WTF is that haedlight all about). First mod I do on a new bike, and I've never had a problem with them.

I had a Kisan on my last bike and have the Comagination on the FJR. Wouldn't own a bike that didn't have the feature.

As mentioned, traffic does seem to part for me when I have it on and there are fewer left-turners (though not *none*) since I;ve had them.

I installed the photosensor for the Comagination in the slot on the left side windshield guide - just peeking at the sky, it is unnoticeable. The Kisan sensor was a huge thing.

One thing the Kisan has is their 8 level sensitivity adjustment. Comagination has fixed sensitivity for the photocell.

I'm listening to you guys, and getting info. Thanks. One question that comes to mind is can you run highbeams at night without the modulation? I think I'm just not getting that part of it. I live in the middle of darkness around here, and high beam comes in very handy on remote roads.

Not only CAN you, according to the DOT rules that define what is a legal modulator, you MUST. Any modulator that doesn't auto-disable at night is illegal to run in the US.

Not only CAN you, according to the DOT rules that define what is a legal modulator, you MUST. Any modulator that doesn't auto-disable at night is illegal to run in the US.

Thanks for the input. Has anyone put one in on an FJR? How hard is it to get to the headlight bulb? As I understand it the modulator plugs in between the bulb and the motorcycle.

I live in the middle of darkness around here, and high beam comes in very handy on remote roads.
I'll also add that the importance of a HM for me is not only for being seen by other drivers but by animals. Deer respond to two things... noise and FLASHING light. I can recall multiple personal experiences where the HM was a significant factor; they are grazing roadside, hear the sound of the bike, look up to see the flashing light, then move away from it... or they don't hear the bike but pick up the flashing light and move away from it. Add to this scenerio my other must-have (Stebel air horn) and I feel I'm as armed as I can be for whitetail Bambi and for Bambi in her SUV who is grazing on a burger, screaming at kids, yada yada yada....

As an aside, does anyone know which units are capable of modulating on high AND low beams independently? (meaning you can run the HM solely on low beam or select only high beam). Thanks

AGirl