Headlight Modulators

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
Any of you out there in FJR land using a headlight modulator? I' be interested in which model you are using and what your experinces have been. Have you noticed any shortening of your bulb life? How hard was yours to install? Were there any quirks or operating anomalies that you could report?

TIA!

I bought the Diamond Star from ridesafer.com, and it is awesome and has a horn/flash feature. Don't be intimidated by the wiring of it, it is very straight forward.

dgfella

I've used Kisan for 3 years now and am happy with it. Very easy to install, basically you just pug things together.

Comagination looks equilly plug and play and about half the cost, but I don't think anyone here has reported their experience with them yet? (From the other thread, at least two people have ordered it)

I've used the Kisan for two years (about 20,000 miles) and had no problems. Installation was a snap. Best of all they work; cagers get the hell out of the way when I split lanes (I'm sure it is because they are not sure if I am a CHP).

Kisan modulator, works great. People really move over quickly when you run up on 'em in the fast lane(could also be helped by the slightly bluish bulbs, leathers, bike color, etc.) The left-turners tend to make much more eye contact as well and generally freeze in their tracks. :bigeyes:

I have had the Kisan modulator on my V-Strom for the past few months. Very easy to install and it has been working fine.

Initially I was worried about negative reactions from cars, etc. A car the other day flashed their lights at me and a taxi driver complained at a stop light, but that has been it. I feel that others notice me more. I certainly get more looks. I'm glad I have them and will probably get it for my FJR.

I've also used the Kisan for two years and had no problems, and yes, the Kisan only modulates on high-beam and function normally on low-beam.

It also have a light sensor so when it is dark, the modulation stops and the high beam functions normally.

Hope this helps. ;)

I've been using the Kisan with no problems what so ever. Simple install too
-- Stray Bullet
DITTO!

Kisan only modulates high-beam, right? (i.e. low beam works like a normal headlamp)
-- Woodstock
Yup. And it has a photocell so it cuts out at dusk or in garages.

Had one by Kriss bike before last. Complex install that also required cutting some of the wiring harness to gain some of the features. Reports from owners with problems were uniformly very bad wrt cutomer service.

Last bike I went with Kisan after many a A&Q session with them. They spent a lot of time with me at rallies and on the phone in spite of me telling them up front that I wasn't yet ready to buy. Plug & play installation and never a problem with the modulator (front and back) for the 60,000 miles I owned the bike. The current owner still has them and they continue to work without a problem (3+ years later).

Went with the Kisan on the FJR. Also a plug & play install. Work without a second thought about them. With the FJR there are so few OEM rear lights that I didn't want to "subtract" from them with a brake modulator, so installed a set of Hyper Lites to add some more back there for better visibility.

After 3 bikes with heat and tail light modulators of different kinds, I'm convinced they make a positive difference.

DOT states that it should modulate only the high beam and include a sensor so that when it gets dark enough outside the high beam then reverts to working like a standard high beam. Kisan complies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll get either the Kisan or the Comagination one. Both look equivalent in functionality. The Comagination folks think the fact that their unit doesn't sit right behind the headlamp is a good thing (heatwise), my guess (confirmed by the folks here) are that it's never been a problem with heat damage to the Kisan unit. The other big difference is cost, the Comagination one is about half the price. If the modulator not being right at the lamp means it hangs down, that might be a different reliability issue that might sway toard the Kisan.

The Kisan for the FJR is the -S- one, with the side wire, right?

P115W-DUAL pathBlazer for H4/H7 Dual Headlight

P115W-S-DUAL pathBlazer for H4/H7 Dual Headlight - side wire

Comagination unit is working great. I use it sparingly, but it is effective.

It hasn't stopped any dear from crossing the road, though.... :eek:

I was in front of FJRocket for a while last weekend and they are definetely noticeable and while I didn't find them offensive at all, there are probably those whose would.

I think that they will be a winter project.

The Kisan for the FJR is the -S- one, with the side wire, right?
Yes, that's the one I installed. I found it easier to get to the right headlight connector with the dash panel removed. It's "plug & play" on the left side, but you're going by feel on the right side unless you remove the panel. I was installing the auxiliary power bus at the same time so I had to remove 'em anyway.

I've noticed more cars get out of the fast lane when I come up behind them now.

IMHO order direct from Kisan....they have excellent customer service.