headlight realsy as trigger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edjo69

Reaction score
So i looked in my manual and tell me if this is correct: the relay trigger I want to use to trigger a second relay for my Valetine and Nuvi is the left most (sitting on the bike)relay behind the dash and it is the blue/green wire? Is this correct?

I think the manual trnsposed the picture, are the headlight relays on the right side????? :unsure:

So i looked in my manual and tell me if this is correct: the relay trigger I want to use to trigger a second relay for my Valetine and Nuvi is the left most (sitting on the bike)relay behind the dash and it is the blue/green wire? Is this correct?
Yes, that is correct.

Ever used a Posi-tap? I'm looking for a local seller for these to hook up a FuzeBlock and other items.

posi-tap_1.jpg

Yes, that is correct.
The only relay i can find with a blu/green wire is behind the dash on the right side of the bike?? as in this linkMy link

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump, going to bed maybe someone can help me in the morning. thanx allot, ed

I read your other post and think your setting your stuff up backwards, since the heated grips pull a lot more power than the V1 & Nuvi, the grips should be tied to the headlight circuit relay and the V1 and Nuvi powered off of the Signal light that you now power the grips from.

Yes, that is correct.
The only relay i can find with a blu/green wire is behind the dash on the right side of the bike?? as in this linkMy link
OK, my f/u. I didn't notice your bike is an '05. I just assumed it was a Gen II. You may be correct

in that the relay is on the right, sorry if I misdirected you. AFAIK, you DO want the blue/green wire.

Ever used a Posi-tap? I'm looking for a local seller for these to hook up a FuzeBlock and other items.

posi-tap_1.jpg
When I started doing installs on my then new FJR, I bought several Posi-taps ( online )

thinking they would be the Cat's Meow. I decided, however, to go to soldered splices with

heat-shrink instead for a more trouble-free permanent connection.

Posi-taps still seem like the easiest way to make electrical connections, though.

I think they are now available at NAPA stores and maybe Walmart, too.

I personally do not like a tap that cuts the insulation of the wire and does not seal the connection from water. Down the road when water gets into the wires and the wires start to corrode you start having intermittant electrical problems.

72Duster340 said,I personally do not like a tap that cuts the insulation of the wire and does not seal the connection from water. Down the road when water gets into the wires and the wires start to corrode you start having intermittant electrical problems

I would like to second that, just had my bike down

doing some Maint. and got rid of all the plastic taps,

soldered all the wires and used heat shrink, noticed

that most of them were corroded when I took them apart,

just my two cents worth

ride safe :)

On my cruiser all splices are soldered. I'll go that way with the FJR as well. I was curious about the Posi-tap as it seemed superior to the 3M splices.

I do solder and shrink wrap everything. Thanks for all the help I am going to try the blue green wire on the right side of the dash and keep my finger crossed. Highlander, just the trigger for the heated grips is off the driving lights, once it triggers the relay all the juice for the heated grips is pulled directly off the battery via the relay. The reason I want the Nuvi and the Valentine off the headlight relay is because when you turn the ignition on they start up and then re-start once the bike is fired, with them triggered off the headlights they will only start up once, when the bike is running, no double starts.

Bounce said:
I read your other post and think your setting your stuff up backwards, since the heated grips pull a lot more power than the V1 & Nuvi, the grips should be tied to the headlight circuit relay and the V1 and Nuvi powered off of the Signal light that you now power the grips from.
high load items should pull power from the battery; either directly (with a fuse) or through a DIY harness (just some wires at the most basic) that is fused for the main power and relayed to something to trigger the relay. you may be saying this, but the way i'm reading it is that you are suggesting pulling primary power through the OEM harness (not just the low voltage). OEM harnesses are built to minimum spec for the load the engineers knew it would pull. add off road lights, heated grips/gear and you are creating a potential risk. instead run the power from the battery (or your own power block that goes back to the battery). use something substantial like 12ga wire for loads like heat and light.
My relays are wired directly to the battery. The only wire tapped into the harness is the trigger wire, one to the driving lights for the heated grips and the other to the headlight relay. But the relays are hard wired directly to the battery, so the main drawn for each acc. comes straight off the battery.

Use your V/O meter and dope out your connections. It's pretty simply and avoids releasing the magic smoke. If you're doing electrical mods a V/O meter is a minimum requirement. There's a credit-card sized one at Rat Shack that can be packed on the bike for trouble shooting when on trips too.

Bob is my Uncle, success. The blue/green only trips the relay once the bike is running, now time to tidy things up make final connections and put her back together. Thanx for all you help!!!!! :) :) :)

Thanx Bounce. I made all the final connections this morning, turned the ignition switch on, nothing, then fired her up and bing, the V1 and the Nuvi start up. Yeah, no more double starts on my two favorite pieces of "survival equipment". Again thank you all for you help. :yahoo: :yahoo: