Headlight Upgrade

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryG

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas to improve the headlights on my 2006 FJR. Since all the components are plastic I know we can't create a lot more heat by installing lamps with too much power. So if anyone out there has found something that's working well without causing problems I would love to hear from you.

There's a ton of info on this subject throughout this forum. I was really interested in upgrading to HID headlights but it looked like a hassle so I ended up just buying upgraded headlights at Advance Autoparts and they are wayyyyy better than stock, simple to install, has been a year and they still work...

I would recommend that you use the search button to get your answer. If you type in "Headlights" you will get a bunch of topics. That is a topic that has been discussed here on many occasions. Memebers are choosing AUX Soltek lights or HID based on their needs.

I am looking at installing the HID because I want the brightness but I do not want the added farkle.

HID

Clicky

Soltek

Clicky

I hope that helps. . . .

P.S. Remember with this crowd there is more than one meaning for "headlights". :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the path from moderate to insanity...and went through phase 1, 2, and 4 myself.

1. Don't want to do HID or burn up your reflectors one can possibly get some marginal improvements by a better bulb like a GE Megalight+ or Phillips Ultravision. - Easy, relatively cheap, possible increase, ~$50

2. Add on a set of Hella FF50 auxiliarly lights and brackets. - Medium difficulty, relatively cheap, double light output or more if used with better bulbs ~$125

3. Very well covered as to the ultimate in photon spewage here, here, and other places if you search on hid low high site:fjrforum.com and similar terms at Google. - Difficult to place ballasts on Gen II, moderately expensive, great low light output/marginal hight output ~$450

4. The ultimate is to with HID low beams and add on Solteks for high beam like shown here and here. - Difficult to place ballasts and wire, very expensive , but best light output ~$1000

Or go to FJRTech.com and see the various farkles including these.

Are the Sylvania Silver Stars worth anything or are the GE or Philips better? The porpaganda offered by the manufacturers really does not help for a comparision.

Are the Sylvania Silver Stars worth anything or are the GE or Philips better? The porpaganda offered by the manufacturers really does not help for a comparision.
I ordered (haven't installed yet) these SilverStars, which are the Euro-spec Sylvania: clicky

Murph said the Phillips and Osram +50 models have very similar output.

Phillips recently offered these +80s, which are more expensive, but supposed a big improvement.

Phillips recently offered these +80s, which are more expensive, but supposed a big improvement.
Big improvement? Nope. Marginal improvement? Maybe. IMO, if you want bright, conventional replacement lamps of any ilk ain't gonna up things much. Having just put the +80's in, you'll need to go HID or Aux to get significant improvement.

Having just put the +80's in, you'll need to go HID or Aux to get significant improvement.
And I'm sticking to my claim that combination Hi/Lo reflectors are challenged to start with. Separate, dedicated reflectors, like the Goldwing's, are the way to go. I achieved this effect by going with the Solteks, along with one high, one low headlight. The latter mod was not the most effective, but I could probably tweak the focus point on my high (left) side to get better output.

I upgraded my headliight lamps to a pair of Wagner TRUVIEW, model 9003TV. The light output is really good compared to the stock lamps. I believe I paid $13 each at NAPA.

Alan

I noticed the silverstars were brighter than the stockers But I imagine when they burn in that'll change. Gonna look into the hellas. Gerauld still making the brackets? Hmm pm time

:jester:

I noticed the silverstars were brighter than the stockers But I imagine when they burn in that'll change. Gonna look into the hellas. Gerauld still making the brackets? Hmm pm time
:jester:
Yep, I got mine yesterday. Installed today, waiting on hellas.

Just curious, anybody check what kind of voltage drop exists between the alternator output and the headlight bulbs? When I hooked up relays for my '70 ford truck headlights it went from 12.4 volts to 14.5 volts with a corresponding brighter light output. Granted the wire path is a lot shorter on our bikes then in that old truck, but any significant voltage drop will dim the lights some.

Brodie

Granted the wire path is a lot shorter on our bikes then in that old truck, but any significant voltage drop will dim the lights some.
I doubt that the drop is significant, but it would be worth measuring, if somebody with OEM lights was willing and able.

I've been running PIAA Super Plasma replacement bulbs since late 2005. They claim to put out more than twice the light with the same amp draw as stockers. They are quite an improvement over stock.

Prolly not as impressive as HIDs and they are fairly pricey at $50 each. I got around the price by having each of my two kids get me one for Xmas. So far no evidence of heat problems.

I'm looking for ideas to improve the headlights on my 2006 FJR. Since all the components are plastic I know we can't create a lot more heat by installing lamps with too much power. So if anyone out there has found something that's working well without causing problems I would love to hear from you.
As was mentioned previously, the FJR headlight reflectors were designed to provide both high and low beam patterns, and in so doing make a compromise , especially noticeable in the high beam pattern.

Beacuse of that, the absolute best way to get more high beam light is to add aux lights of some flavor.

If you want to improve the headlight brightness in both the low and high beam without adding aux headlamps you may want to check out my thread here, which talks about some HID headlamps that I have been experimenting with. It is actually still ongoing as I have a fixed low beam H4 capsule I'll be adding on one side (still deciding which side is best) and using the telescopic high / low lamp on one side only. This seems to give the best compromise of excellent low beam, OK high beam and no added Aux lights.

For my FJR in the states, I went with WC's original setup of HI/LO HID's and PHID aux lights. Low beams are amazing. I wired the PHID's into the brights switch with an additional aux switch to disable. HID's on HI and PHID's make a good combination. (Got to be a little careful with traffic though...People a mile in front of me thought a jet was landing behind them.)

It was a little tricky on the ballast install, but I got all four plus the two ignitors for the HI/LO's in the nose of the '04.

Before the HID's I'd tried the silverstars. Made a noticeable improvement, but nothing compared to the HIDs.

After my lowbeam burned out @ 53000 miles, I did a little looking on this forum and was guided to the Osram Night Breaker replacement bulbs. I found a ebay seller: aftermarketbulbsshop who had a pair for 33.00 and ordered up. I ordered on Friday and had the bulbs on Monday from Chicago. So today i went and put them in. I put in one and then turned them on to see if there was a difference. After fussing with my camera to get a picture of what I could see and not a big washed out glare you can see too. I like them.

2508100813_4d9e458381_b.jpg

2508929090_7e3d11063b_b.jpg

Thanks to WC and others on the forum who helped me find these.