Headshake with newly mounted tired

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVMpete

Reaction score
2007 FJR with helibar top triple clamp.

I rode the original stock tires almost 15K miles. Mild head shake accel and decel between 40-50 mph first noticed by me at about 9K miles.

I just had new tires installed at Cyclegear---a retail shop that mounts tires for $30. New tires are Avon Storms AV55 front, AV56 rear. I took the wheels off myself and then remounted them after tire installation.

I now have severe(!) headshake (immediately after installation) in the same 40-50 mph range...it is much worse than with original tires, and it occurs at other speeds, albeit more mildly. I've searched the forums......can't find what I am looking for.

My biggest concern is that I did something wrong remounting the front wheel, although pinch bolts and axle were tightened to torque with torque wrench, ABS brakes functioning. CAN INCORRECT RE-MOUNTING OF THE FRONT WHEEL RESULT IN SEVERE HEADSHAKE? COULD I HAVE CREATED A SITUATION WHERE THE BIKE IS NOT SAFE TO RIDE UNTIL I REMEDY IT?

I've read people who have just made a tire change (even replacing a brand new one) and solved the problem. Has anyone else had a problem with the AVONS like this? Is it more likely to have to do with the way the tire was mounted at Cyclegear?

Also, let me stress, this is a big wobble...you can see my arms shaking with both hands on the bars.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it helps.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that the front tire bead is not seated evenly/fully all the way around on one side.....or both. The bead is often very hard to seat fully even with LOTS of air pressure unless the proper tire mounting lubricant is used. It is also very difficult to detect as the bead can be only slightly off and it will be invisible to spot.

Try letting all the air out of the front tire and lubricate the bead as much as you can then re-air the tire. Repeat several times.

I've read people who have just made a tire change (even replacing a brand new one) and solved the problem. Has anyone else had a problem with the AVONS like this? Is it more likely to have to do with the way the tire was mounted at Cyclegear?
Yes, when the Avon Storms came out about 2? years ago. There was definitely something wrong with their quality control and several people got severe headshake like you describe. I had one that was a little bit out of whack, but after trying another brand, I'm right back to the Storms - LOVE that stick in the twisties. Pretty sure Avon will replace the tire (I know, it's a PITA and Avon WON'T cover the price of changing the tire).

Here's the Storm thread.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...;hl=avon++storm

There should be a way to check when your tire was Mfg'ed. Maybe you got one of the early ones.

I have no opinion about the quality of work at Cyclegear (never have been to their store/shop).

Here's the link to use Google to search the FJR forum (this search engine ROCKS):

https://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00202365...8%3A2jptjgyclxq

IMHO, before you do anything else, make sure the tire's balanced properly. If there are a lot of weights on one side of the rim, try evening them out so an equal number are on each side of the rim.

Had the same experience with an Avon 45. Try reseating the bead as jestal suggested, check balance and then throw the tire away. If you present all the facts and ask nicely, Avon will replace the tire and pay for shipping. They wanted my faulty tire back and paid for the return shipping as well. You will be out the mounting cost though...

Good Luck and buy PR2's next time!

--G

thanks for the responses. I checked the weights, which I honestly don't remember being there before I brought the wheel in for tire replacement. All 6 x 1/4 oz weights are on right side of the front rim, and 6 x 1/4 oz weights are on the left side of the rear rim......I don't remember them being there when I dismounted the wheel...was I just missing them?

thanks for the responses. I checked the weights, which I honestly don't remember being there before I brought the wheel in for tire replacement. All 6 x 1/4 oz weights are on right side of the front rim, and 6 x 1/4 oz weights are on the left side of the rear rim......I don't remember them being there when I dismounted the wheel...was I just missing them?
I guess I'd pull the wheel off and make sure it's balanced. If it's not, I would take off all the weights and start over from scratch. If it is, then I'd balance out the weights.

As soon as I read the heading of this thread... I said to myself, self I bet that he put Avons on that bike!

I wil never again put Avons on my bike. I used to be a faithful Avon tire user until they came out with those Storms.

Two years ago, I had a new, bad Avon tire for my BMW. Mounted and balanced the new Avon and it shook badly. I put the old, worn PR back on and it was fine. Put the Avon back on again to double check and it was a tank slapper at low speeds. Put the old PR back on for a few days until a new PR arrived. I had to pay the return shipping to get a new tire.