Health Insurance for Motorcyclists

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K_Flyer

Reaction score
Theresa just found that, as of June 1st, she is not covered by her health insurance if she is on a motorcycle! When she signed up a few months ago, the only restriction was motorcycle racing. Just like that, they change the rules! Theresa is 60 and retired so we are shopping on the "screw the customer" private insurance market.  (I am on Medicare.) The OneShare policy she has made this change when they tied in with Aetna. So we are looking for suggestions on carriers who do not have that restriction. The additional cost for insurance that would cover her on the bike is more than it costs us for service (mostly tires), gas and insurance on our two bikes.

At this point we are seriously considering selling both bikes. If I sound rattled, I am. Giving up riding would be very painful for both of us. We usually ride over 10k a year.

There are companies that sell health insurance that covers only catastrophic health issues. They do not cover typical health expenses but are designed for events/illness that can be ruinously expensive. I have no personal experience with this sort of policy. They are evidently popular with young people and people who are in a medical cooperative that covers routine health care because they are much less expensive than typical policies.  Might be an affordable option until Theresa is eligible for Medicare.  See you shouldn’t have been a cradle robber.  

Can't provide any help but will be following. One of my biggest concerns pulling the (working) plug early is how to secure health insurance until Medicare kicks in. 

~G

Sorry to hear of this. I dont know if this would help but I'll mention it. I have BC BS and dont think there is a motorcycle limitations.  What really helped was I have Allstate bike insurance with a medical rider endorsement added, thanks to my wife. And it was inexpensive. The endorsement covers the drivers medical expenses.  I did not know that regular bike insurance policy don't cover the driver. I recently had an accident and Allstate covered all medical. Without this I would have had a lot of bills the because regular health only pays so much. 

I carry BCBS and it doesn't "appear" to have that issue. At least, in that I have been using it for years and ride. When I had my nickname-inspiring curbage ("Bounce" -- that lead to the c5,c6,c7 vertebral fusion), it took some months after the event for the affects to appear (like 2 or 3 years of slow deterioration) so I never mentioned the half-gainer off the Gold Wing.

Perhaps the medical facet added to your moto insurance?

Theresa just found that, as of June 1st, she is not covered by her health insurance if she is on a motorcycle! When she signed up a few months ago, the only restriction was motorcycle racing. Just like that, they change the rules! Theresa is 60 and retired so we are shopping on the "screw the customer" private insurance market.  (I am on Medicare.) The OneShare policy she has made this change when they tied in with Aetna. So we are looking for suggestions on carriers who do not have that restriction. The additional cost for insurance that would cover her on the bike is more than it costs us for service (mostly tires), gas and insurance on our two bikes.

At this point we are seriously considering selling both bikes. If I sound rattled, I am. Giving up riding would be very painful for both of us. We usually ride over 10k a year.
One of the health insurance plans we have is also Aetna.  It is the company  that provides coverage the Alaska Care program for retired employees of the State of Alaska. Never had any indication they will not cover motorcyclists.  It was my primary provider until I became eligible for Medicare and is now a supplemental.

Latest posts