Hearing Aids

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastpappy

Reaction score
So in the aftermath of my battle with the big C besides the Peripheral Neuropathy the chemo pretty  much devastated what was left of my hearing so I now am wearing two hearing aids. So far I have taken them off to ride. No problem hearing the traffic and other surrounding sounds that I need to hear but directions and music pumped into my blue tooth helmet could be a bit louder so I'm thinking of trying to ride with them in. Anyone else wearing them? Riding with or without? What kind you got behind the ear, in the ear? Sucks getting old but consider the alternative.  😧

I wear my hearing aids when I need to - definitely not while riding.  In fact, I wear foam earplugs to protect the remaining hearing.  I can do without tunes while I ride.

I'm completely deaf in my left ear and have a 75% high frequency loss in my right. I also wear earplugs anytime I ride to preserve what hearing I have left. I use google maps for navigation through a Sena SMH 10 inside a Shoei GT Air and have no problem hearing directions even with my ear plugs in. There are three sound levels in Google maps and I use the highest one. I have also found speaker placement inside the helmet to be critical. 

I have a hearing aid for the ear that still works but find many times while using it, I am exposed to some unexpected loud noise which is amplified by the hearing aid and I end up taking it out. Now, I just use it on certain occasions such a Dr visits or in some environment which loud noises aren't likely to happen. 

I certainly wouldn't use it while on the bike.

Up to you, but when I pull my helmet off, anything loose--like glasses, hearing aids, my nose ring--is pretty much subject to getting pulled off and disappearing to who-knows-where?  That's how I lost one of the custom earplugs I wasted some dough on a few years ago.  Anyway, what I don't hear (whether I'm wearing the hearing aids or not) is whatever words people are saying, not horns or sirens.  That stuff I still hear fine.  Don't know why, but a few years ago, everybody just started getting more and more careless when they were talking, and they all started mumbling!