Hearing protection - ear plugs - some thoughts, pics and info

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the soft rubber (silicon?) ones similar to the ones in your first picture for normal use. I don't like the cords because the wind causes the cord to whistle and the vibrations pass through to my ears. On long rides I find my ears get sore after about a week, so I carry the soft foam plugs and switch off every couple of days.

I use the good ole Army issue type E-A-R soft disposable yellow earplugs. They work for NRR 29dB. I have a Vstream shield, use a Nolan 103 N-com helmet with bluetooth commo and even at speeds well over 100mph, these plugs work superb. I bought 'em by the case pack of 200 pairs. These work great for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the disposables that you can wear comfortably for long periods of time. When you can, get the custom molded ones, mine give me 30db reduction with the speakers built in. I have tried many different ones, the Big Ear customs with speakers have been the best I have tried by far.

What do you ride thats so damn LOUD?? I have Harleys & kind of half ass understand that but the FJR I dont get at all sorry!!!
It's not the bike noise that's damaging...it's the wind noise that will damage your hearing. I want to be able to hear my grand kids swear at me under their breath....so I can kick their little whippersnapping butts. :rolleyes:

Not only that, but a full day of riding without ear plugs is highly annoying and bothersome. Ear plugs make the day much more enjoyable.

What do you ride thats so damn LOUD?? I have Harleys & kind of half ass understand that but the FJR I dont get at all sorry!!!
It must have been Rider Magazine that did some type of helmet test a while back on wind-noise. I say that because that's the only MC mag I read. Anyway...Their conclusion was that even the best helmets with the best fit have about 100db or more hitting your ears at 70mph. That's a lot of noise, and over a long day's ride, there will definately be some damage to the ears.

Average $1.00 for a set of plugs and a little discomfort is way worth not going deaf from noise we can reduce.

I had a set of custom plugs made by an audiologist. cost me 90 bucks.They last a few years and are a perfect fit with maximum noise reduction. i can wear them all day and use them anytime i'm around loud noise (lawnmower, trimmer, wife, etc). If your planning on spending alot of time with your plugs, i found it worth the investment. If using plugs happen "on occasion", you'll have to play around with all the different varieties to see whats the most confortable. I went through this process before stepping up the plate with the customs and it'll be hard for me to ever return to "the cheaper alternatives".
GreyGoose
I second that. I have had several custom pairs made by an audiologist, thats all I use now. Perfect fit, long lasting, easy to insert, maximum noise reduction. Most recently I bought custom earbuds with speakers from www.bigearinc.com. Had molds made at the International Motorcycle show. Their website has a list of where they have booths at shows (motorcycle and gun shows, by state) Had custom earplugs made and a set of BE-2 stereo earplugs with dual drivers and passive crossover, not cheap, but the last pair of earbuds I will ever buy....phenomenal. I use with my ipod directly (on level 2.....very low) and plugged into my autocom. No more pushing huge volume past earplugs..............

I've been wondering if my ear canals are smaller than normal. I can wear over-the-counter disposables for only a couple hours before my ears really start to hurt. Then I found E-A-R-Soft Yellow Neons. These probably do not provide 32 db protection, but they are infinitely more comfortable... and cheap! I bought 100 pairs on eBay for less than $14... less than $0.14 each.

EAR also makes plugs for smaller ears... the amigo is one of them. I got them for my daughter for vacuuming and stuff but I use them too.

I have a custom make pair of Ear Defenders. Purchased at the Seattle MC show in 2007. Wear them all the time. They work great on the bike (fit past my very snug helmet) and excellent for use on airplanes and when my hard of hearing father-in-law is over for a visit and turns the TV way up. Also use them in movie theaters. Worth the money for me. Next time will get a pair with ear buds. Mine are just plain plugs. Also good when sleeping in noisy hotels.

I had a set of custom plugs made by an audiologist. cost me 90 bucks.They last a few years and are a perfect fit with maximum noise reduction. i can wear them all day and use them anytime i'm around loud noise (lawnmower, trimmer, wife, etc). If your planning on spending alot of time with your plugs, i found it worth the investment. If using plugs happen "on occasion", you'll have to play around with all the different varieties to see whats the most confortable. I went through this process before stepping up the plate with the customs and it'll be hard for me to ever return to "the cheaper alternatives".
GreyGoose
I agree it's worth the investment. There's a chain of hearing aid stores in Ontario called 'Listen Up Canada!' that will custom fit, molded plugs and put them on a tether for you for about $70 bucks Canadian. For another $30 bucks they'll give you a second pair. I use them on the bike, at sporting events (like Monster Jam & SuperCross) camping, cutting the grass etc. They call them 'Sentinels'. I'll never go back to foam.

2707048810048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

...I can say they are the quietest disposables I've ever ridden with. :)
These are what I use as well. With these babies snugly in its amazingly quiet....I actually think its TOO quiet for anything but long slab rides. I've had car rides with more wind noise. I have at least a half dozen pair in my tank bag just for those times.

OK, so we went out today for about 3 hours today.
I took a pair of these guys to see what they'd be like. Tough to judge a book by it's cover here, because they are simple foam disposables. BUT, they are flagged as 33 db units. I can honestly say I noticed the difference. Hands down they beat my normal orange disposables for quieting noise.

2707048810048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

I found them a tad difficult to get into my ears. When compressed they return to their normal state much quicker than my normal orange disposables, so your aim had better be true or you'll end up not getting them seated just right. Other than that, they were super comfortable and still allowed enough high frequency sound through for me to be aware of what was happening around me. They did a great job quieting the dragster we rode by at a local car show where we stopped for lunch, too - man, that thing sounded great!

I can hands down say these will be kept around as my disposable of choice. No idea if they were attenuating at 33db, but I can say they are the quietest disposables I've ever ridden with. :)
I too find those to be my favorites....check this site for a great price...not related at all, just passing on what I think is a good deal....

https://www.americarx.com/Products/20657.html

I spent the money on custom plugs at a MC show several years back. I found they did not attenuate sound as well as foam plugs, but that may be just me. I like the Hearos blue throw aways the best. Very soft and comfy and quiet.