Heart Attack, Gen 3 Oil Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PANTS! This ain't your first rodeo! What have you been doing for your Gen I for all this time? For crying out loud!

And of course dealers are more expensive..... were you born yesterday? I have been buying all my stuff online for years. As many here do. I currently have on hand about 10 Yamaha oil filters, Yamaha whale jizz final drive oil, 20 crush washers, and several extra of every fastener on the FJR.

Now I know you ain't a dumb man so I am perplexed by your naivete of purchasing motorcycle parts?

Perhaps you should spend less time riding around and writing cool ride reports and more time in front of your computer learning all sorts of insignificant information!

Brand new bike paranoia problems..
rolleyes.gif

But sincerely, I hope you find or pay your way past these niggling worries and start giving that pretty bike the flogging it wants and deserves..
tonguesmiley.gif

'Pants my friend, as I keep repeating, It is only Money.

I honestly have never put enough miles on the bike for the price of the oil and filters to be an issue for me. I am not proud of that, but it is true. That appears to be changing with this new FJR.

Just to clarify, I am not judging one way or the other about which filter, which engine oil, or which final drive oil you use. As always, I support whatever choice You make for Your bike. That is what friends do.

What I will offer to do, and it is a genuine offer, is this. If you wish to get your stuff from the Crooks at Friendly Yamaha instead of the Crooks at Yamaha of Lafayette, I can go pick it up for you. I can shuttle it to a midway point. I can deliver it to your house. We might even be able to Guilt Trip our useless excuse for a salesman into shuttling parts and components for us. His bike needs the extra miles anyway.

Oh, and if you do deal with Friendly Yamaha, talk to Cat. Cat is the best parts person I have ever dealt with in a motorcycle dealership and she is one of the 3 best parts persons I have dealt with in any industry. She is awesome at her job. Ask G Squared, I bet he will agree with me.

I popped a cork not too long ago when the dealer wanted $24 for a quart of real end oil. I went with GL-5 for a whole lot less and it came with a built in funnel that fits right in the hole. :)

I popped a cork not too long ago when the dealer wanted $24 for a quart of real end oil. I went with GL-5 for a whole lot less and it came with a built in funnel that fits right in the hole.
smile.png
Well, well. I would think that "Real End Oil" should "fit right in the hole". Nothing special about that.
uhoh.gif

My only comment here is don't buy cheap filters (Fram for one).

The company I work for makes filtering materials and there IS a big difference in the quality of filters, be it air, oil or whatever is being filtered.

Just FYI,, 1 quart of gear oil ,, used according to specs, will last for 84,000 miles. You would purchase the 2nd quart at the 84,000 mile service. It takes approx. 6 oz. per change. 5 changes per quart. And if 22,,or 30$ per quart is so expensive that you need to find cheaper alternatives based solely on cost,, then you really should find a cheaper hobby.

At minimum, Yamaha changed the package for their whale jizz in 2014. The owner's manual does not provide a specification. The bottle of the correct jizz ("for FJR1300 and Vmax) may be GL-5, or it may be apollo 13 for all I know, but it does not say so. Nor does it say anything on the package. it just doesn't. I called Yamaha customer service and got nothing except the company line. Is the jizz special? Prolly not, but I can't get anybody to prove otherwise.

As for the filter, I found the old Yamaha part number online yesterday for $10.00 a piece (quantity 4) with free shipping. Scooter's right - I'll just buy them online for about the same price and sleep well at night.

In the meantime, I'll stick to making ride reports. It's certainly less stressful....

Whenever ya'll are ready, this can go off to NEPRT.....

Last edited by a moderator:
In case you didn't realize it 'Pants, this one made NEPRT as soon as you posted it!

I was discussing this thread with Dear Old Dad earlier this evening and the discussion evolved into the perpetual debate over the final drive oil. As we discussed our options and opinions Dad hit me with, "Well what does your forum say?"

I think we sometimes overlook the fact that when we post it on THE FJRForum it suddenly becomes fact. We are the "go to" source of information, we are the experts. Oddly, we don't seem to agree on much.

. I called Yamaha customer service and got nothing except the company line. Is the jizz special? Prolly not, but I can't get anybody to prove otherwise.
Next time you call mention the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act.

Tell them that if they refuse to provide the oil specification for the final drive unit, you will be demanding that it is provided free of charge, because that is their responsibility under that law.

Have them send you the spec in writing. They do know what it is, and they are giving you the run-around.

The FJR final drive hasn't changed since 2003. Why would the gear oil spec change? Oh yeah, it hasnt. Dude...stop making things difficult. The plugs are different. That's about it. No one has an explanation for the reduction in filter size.

The FJR final drive hasn't changed since 2003. Why would the gear oil spec change? Oh yeah, it hasnt. Dude...stop making things difficult. The plugs are different. That's about it. No one has an explanation for the reduction in filter size.
My guess on the filter would simply be that Yamaha decided the old one was bigger than needed, and smaller ones are cheaper. When they buy stuff by the thousand, a few cents saving pleases the accountants.

It's the same reason Ford specified different plugs in their V6 engines ... one side of the wasted spark system only had one plated electrode ... if it saves a couple of cents per plug that adds up when you buy a million of them.

My only comment here is don't buy cheap filters (Fram for one).
The company I work for makes filtering materials and there IS a big difference in the quality of filters, be it air, oil or whatever is being filtered.
+1 I avoid using Fram filters. Since the local yamaha stealership has closed, I have found Napa gold 1358/Wix 51358 filters to be a suitable replacement. The nearest Yamaha shop, in Kelowna, wants over $50 for an air filter, so I now order online for $33, shipping included. Have not made a significant dent in my gear oil supply yet.

The proper K&N filter # is KN-148.
Steve - this is not true. I'm not calling you out, I just don't want the wrong information getting to someone else.
Once again this is why this is a NEPRT thread. Talked about many, Many times before in many, many threads. Short version of the filter vs. long version. Consensus is they're interchangeable. I run KN-148 equivalent on my '14.