Heated Grip Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR1300A

Reaction score
I just bought this, but haven't received it yet. I'm going to try to use it for a heated grip switch.

It has a high/low/off switch as well as a momentary "kill" switch. I already put a SPST Momentary switch on my bike for a garage door opener, but if you haven't yet, this might be a good use of that feature. Once I get it, I'll try to post some pics of the install.

The Switch:

Switch.jpg

I just bought this, but haven't received it yet. I'm going to try to use it for a heated grip switch.
It has a high/low/off switch as well as a momentary "kill" switch. I already put a SPST Momentary switch on my bike for a garage door opener, but if you haven't yet, this might be a good use of that feature. Once I get it, I'll try to post some pics of the install.

The Switch:

Switch.jpg
Looking forward to see how this comes out...

Another possible use of the H/L/Off switch is for controlling when your aux lights are on. And the momentary kill switch could be hooked up as a PTT switch for Bike to Bike radios. Or wire it to the forward facing machine guns and you wouldn't have to alter the silk screening... ;)

The Switch:

Switch.jpg
Looking forward to see how this comes out...

Another possible use of the H/L/Off switch is for controlling when your aux lights are on. And the momentary kill switch could be hooked up as a PTT switch for Bike to Bike radios. Or wire it to the forward facing machine guns and you wouldn't have to alter the silk screening... ;)

I like the machine gun idea. It could come in handy during the morning commute.

Just where are you going to find room to use this?
Well I have to admit, mounting the machine guns will take some work but...

oh you mean the switch!

Well it's only 3/4" wide from the description and if you look at the picture below (taken for another reason) there is space between the control housing and the clutch resevoir. I measured it and it's slightly less than 3/4", but I'm hoping it will fit in that space, both in thickness and in... well girth, for lack of a better term. It hasn't arrived yet but when it does we'll see if I can use it or if it was a waste of money.

Mirror_Ball.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that and too was thinking of purchasing.

I would like to use it to turn on off my "auxilary" circuit with radar detector, CB, & Zumo GPS, on off my fork mounted lazer light bullet lights, and use the momentary "kill" button for my steibel air horn (separate from my Fiam disc horns using the stock wiring). I want to be able to beep beep friendly like (stock like horns) and also soundly blow off the road an "intruder" with the air horn (steibel).

It looks like the switch will fit if you dremel off the little "protrusion" on the outside of the clutch mount clamp.

Let us know how you do when you get it. I'd probably be willing to buy it off from you if you don't want it.

I bought the water proof momentary switch from the guy (beaver) and it seems too hard to press to work well, but I haven't done a true field test yet.

My lights switch is velcroed to the side of the front brake resevoir (sic) and I'd like to change it. Also wire the relay on/off coil to the headlight low beam power wire (blue/white I believe) so the lights can only come on with the headlight, i.e. only when the engine is running.

Let's all ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Just where are you going to find room to use this?
Well I have to admit, mounting the machine guns will take some work but...

oh you mean the switch!

Well it's only 3/4" wide from the description and if you look at the picture below (taken for another reason) there is space between the control housing and the clutch resevoir. I measured it and it's slightly less than 3/4", but I'm hoping it will fit in that space, both in thickness and in... well girth, for lack of a better term. It hasn't arrived yet but when it does we'll see if I can use it or if it was a waste of money.

Mirror_Ball.jpg
I'll look forward to hearing about your experience with this. BTW what is the little button to the inboard side of the signal switch and horn button?

I'll look forward to hearing about your experience with this. BTW what is the little button to the inboard side of the signal switch and horn button?
That's actually my garage door opener switch. Like I said in my first post if I hadn't done that already I would use the "kill" button for that purpose.

It will right after you grind off the locating pin that keys it to the handlebars. :)
I honestly don't think that I'll need to do that. I think that there is enough room for me to move the control housing to the left and leave the clutch where it is. But i'll know for sure when it shows up.

It will right after you grind off the locating pin that keys it to the handlebars. :)
I honestly don't think that I'll need to do that. I think that there is enough room for me to move the control housing to the left and leave the clutch where it is. But i'll know for sure when it shows up.
The control housing has a pin too. :assassin: (No problem if Santa is bringing you a Dremel.)

The control housing has a pin too. :assassin: (No problem if Santa is bringing you a Dremel.)

Well gee, maybe I shouldn't try it at all. Let me go figure out what everyone else did and just do that too.

Well gee, maybe I shouldn't try it at all. Let me go figure out what everyone else did and just do that too.
Just think if you are successful with this switch...can you say "Group Buy"? Make sure to create a how-to as well. :D

Corey