Heated power cord placement ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al2026

Reaction score
I am going to be installing my power cord for my heated gear and was wondering if most of you ran it up to the seat or where you find the best placement is, also wondering what is the favorite GPS mount I have been looking online and seam to like the 1 that mounts to the top of the res or center nut, Thanks Al

I've got a Blue Sea fuse block under the front seat. The heated gear pig tail runs up the left side of the bike and comes out at the seat / tank juncture. Plenty of length for hooking up off the bike.

GPS mounts depend on what unit you're running. Ram offers various economical options using their ball mounts. TouraTech offers the high end stuff if you're interested in spending the $$$.

--G

I am going to be installing my power cord for my heated gear and was wondering if most of you ran it up to the seat or where you find the best placement is, also wondering what is the favorite GPS mount I have been looking online and seam to like the 1 that mounts to the top of the res or center nut, Thanks Al
I like to have the connector for the heated gear at the juncture of the front of the seat and the tank on the left side, so I can plug it in one-handed after I forget to plug it in while stopped.

GPS mount? One word - RAMbone!

Pete Bansen

Truckee, California

The best placement is to get a powerlet jack for the fjr and mount a jack on the bike. Last time I checked they made a mount specifically for the fjr. Or, better yet, get Townsend's bracket and mount a helmet lock and a powerlet jack together on the left side near the seat lock. (see group buys for info on Townsend's bracket)

The Rambone is an excellent option for the GPS. Everybody that sees mine wants to know where to get it. Plus it's available from a forum member and the install is a 5 minute job if you take your time. It put the GPS dead center in front of my tank bag.

I use the Powerlet connector like the link by Philjet, even that location, by the left footpeg mount. When I am seated on the bike, I can reach down easily to plug or unplug it. The Powerlet website has alternate locations for the plug, check it out if you want something by the tank or the handlebars. Notice that with the Powerlet you will need a BMW style plug on the heated liner. I also use this connection for my battery tender.

I use the TechMount triple clamp nut for my GPS.

I just got a heated jacket and the plug for the jacket on the left side--but battery is on the right. I put some high-temp wire loom on the wire, ran it under the tank and connected it with a little clamp to one of the tupperware screws on the left side. So far so good...

This is what I've done. Two Powerlet sockets mounted in the fairing behind the grip temp controller. Lots of room. One for my GPS, one for my vest. The theromstat for the vest is velcro'ed to the side of my tank bag. Easy to reach and won't fall off. Both are wired thru a Fuzeblock under the seat and are in the "unswitched" position so they always have power. Clean install and works great!

This is my "old" setup. I've since gone to a 2730 GPS which allows me to route the cable under the headset over to the right side. Also a Gerbing vest with a different controller but basically the same setup.

Also, since it seems you're on the the farkle wiring path, try searching on "XXXXX install" to find the particular farkle installation you need. Plenty of them out there. Here's mine to kick it off

Install Clicky

Plugs02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rambone needs to be able to unscrew at the bottom of the base, I thought about getting one but I don't always have my gps on the bike and don't like the idea of having that thing in front of me if I was to go over the bar's.