Heli HRT076-02 install.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoghead

Reaction score
Today I wanted to install the new Heli top triple clamp. We have been busy around the house and I need time out in the garage. I suppose one could do this in about two (2) hours but I took my time. Around four (4) hours for me with coffee breaks and such.

Here is the stock triple clamp..

111_1161.jpg

Cover tank and surronding area with towels to prevent any damage..

111_1163.jpg

I used my Dremel to cut the brackets holding the brake lines and cables..

111_1164.jpg

Next remove the handlebars and remove the stem nut. I used teflon tape to prevent damage from the 36 mm socket..

111_1165.jpg

111_1166.jpg

Next step was to remove tank and tank trim. I used some painters tape for extra protection..

111_1167.jpg

111_1168.jpg

And a handy reference..

111_1169.jpg

Remove the heat shield and cross member..

111_1170.jpg

111_1171.jpg

Remove stock top clamp..

111_1172.jpg

111_1173.jpg

Using a drill press remove ignition switch..

111_1174.jpg

111_1175.jpg

111_1176.jpg

Mount switch. I used a little Loc-Tite..

111_1177.jpg

Mount top clamp. I just sat on the bike, used a little Silicon spray and gently moved..

111_1178.jpg

Install heat shield and cross brace. Hook up electrical connections..

111_1179.jpg

Remount tank..

111_1180.jpg

Bars. I used the forward position for now..

111_1181-1.jpg

111_1182.jpg

Install tank trim..

111_1184.jpg

Check cables for binding. Start the bike then move left to right..

111_1186.jpg

I did not remove side panels as stated in the instructions. No need that I saw. Would love to give you a ride report but my seats shipped to Russell yesterday. :(

Very nice product from Heli manufacturing.

hoghead

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well done on the write up especially with pics, for us that are illiterate. :rolleyes: and those from New Orleans with snakes tied to their seats.

GREAT JOB!! I have been trying (so far without luck) to get Helibar to do a group buy for the forum.

Question: Do you think you would of been able to get through the ignition bolts with a hand drill (I don't have a drill press)?

GREAT JOB!! I have been trying (so far without luck) to get Helibar to do a group buy for the forum.
Question: Do you think you would of been able to get through the ignition bolts with a hand drill (I don't have a drill press)?
The "ignition bolts" are easily drilled with a hand drill. I know first hand. Start with a small bit, center it carefully and work your way up. The safety heads will pop right off and you're good to go. Don't sweat it, changing out the triple clamp is really not hard at all.

The "ignition bolts" are easily drilled with a hand drill. I know first hand. Start with a small bit, center it carefully and work your way up. The safety heads will pop right off and you're good to go. Don't sweat it, changing out the triple clamp is really not hard at all.
Thanks for the info

Nice write up. Thanks.

But what are those two empty (?) threaded holes on top next the ignition switch for. Seems they should have some plastic plugs in them or something.

Nice write up. Thanks.
But what are those two empty (?) threaded holes on top next the ignition switch for. Seems they should have some plastic plugs in them or something.
If I remember correctly, those holes are so you can add RAM mounts to the triple tree.

The three (3) pages of instructions were more intimadating then the work involved.

hh

You are all very welcome. I could never repay the information shared here so this is my little thank you. Any questions please ask. I'm no pro but enjoy the "time alone" out in the shop.

Here are the Ram Mounts. There are several after market accessories you could put there ie: cell phone, gps, mp player etc.

hh

111_1191.jpg

Just a note. One side of the switch needed a three (3) step process. The other side needed four (4). Just keep going up in size and the head will come off. Instructions call for 1/8 to 1/4 to 5/16.

Notice right side bolt head.

hh

111_1176.jpg

Nice Job! :clapping: Thanks for the great photos too.

Just one question... Is it necessary to remove the fuel tank for this install? :unsure:

If any member is repairing an FJR and needs the top clamp just drop me a PM.

I don't think it's going back on. :rolleyes:

hh

Nice Job! :clapping: Thanks for the great photos too.
Just one question... Is it necessary to remove the fuel tank for this install? :unsure:
The instructions call for removal. I proped it up but since the whole tank was unbolted I just removed it. The half tank of gas was not in my favor however. :rolleyes:

You have to disconnect all plugs anyway. In this picture notice the red and white plug by the lower tree. Getting in there and unplugging these connectors was not an easy task with the tank proped and there really is no need to damage that. This is where you disconnect the ignition switch. White plug is a pain. Red a piece of cake.

111_1171.jpg

I took the safe course. I also wanted to do the TRS mod but it just would not unwind for me. At one point it almost came off so I did not push my luck. :blink:

I guess the answer is: "if it were me I would remove the tank". You can just feed the overflow line on the left side. There is a collar below by the driveshaft.

111_1180.jpg

hh

I read that part of the instructions for 10 minutes. I removed my throttle cables per instructions but the cables basiclly ended up in the same place. :blink:

At any rate there is no binding or idle increase that I saw or heard. Cables were twist tied in what I thought was a safe location.

I completly agree with your statement about really being necessary to do so.

hh

hoghead,

Thanks for doing this. It's great to see detailed, specific directions with great documentation - so simple us multi-thumbed shade tree mekaniks can follow them.

Good Stuff !

hoghead,
Thanks for doing this. It's great to see detailed, specific directions with great documentation - so simple us multi-thumbed shade tree mekaniks can follow them.

Good Stuff !
Your welcome and Happy Holidays.

hh

Just a side note... The group buy for the Helibar did end up getting approved. :yahoo:

Check it out: Helibar Triple clamp group buy
[SIZE=14pt]UPDATE: Heli has just lowered their price. Now through our group buy you can get a set for only $279.65[/SIZE]

Click on the link above for information.