Heli HRT076-02 install.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just install the triple clamp couple of weeks back and took about 2 hours taking my time especially when removing the tank and had a little problem when drilling the switch , my drill bit shifted a bit to the side and had a bit of problem getting back to the center but the rest of the process went pretty good :clapping:

i have pictures but dont know how to put them here yet.

Great post with detail and pics. But at first pass, looks more intimidating than I think I'm up for. Are you familiar with other, simpler riser types of spacers that accomplish similar results but less effort and money?

Thanks,

Great post with detail and pics. But at first pass, looks more intimidating than I think I'm up for. Are you familiar with other, simpler riser types of spacers that accomplish similar results but less effort and money?
Thanks,
I looked at about all the different options and finally installed the Heli bar and my back likes it. I know it's costly but 1 1/2 inch back on the handlebar and 2 hours of work, well for me i like it.

Just got mine installed as well. Don't need to remove any side panels, nor the tank. Just prop it up. I have big hands and I was still able to easily disconnect the two ignition plugs. Hardest part of the install were drilling those bolts out. I tried cutting a slot into the head to see if a flat screw driver would break those bolts loose. Forget it. Those suckers are on tight, even though it looks like blue lock!

I also needed to loosen the ties holding the wire harness to the frame on the left side. They were pretty tight at full lock. Loosen them, but don't remove the ties all together. You get a bit of slack, but the cables still stay in place. Another little tip is to use painters tape or masking tape to tape the bars to your mirrors while they are disconnected. That way, they're out of the way and stay upright keeping air out of the master cylinders for the brake and clutch.

This sure is a nice piece of hardware. Little $$$, but nice! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I just finished doing this for my 07 AE. I LOVE it. This mod is very much worth doing.

I did take my tank off as I would not have been able to use my torque wrench on the stem nut. I also didn't have to worry about scratching it. The hardest part of the job for me was drilling out the bolts that held the ignition lock followed by actually getting the clamp on. I really hard a hard time getting it to line up with the steering column - it took two people, one pushing down on the clamp and one pushing in on the front wheel. After I removed the tank, some gas leaked out of the overflow tube. A yellow wire nut plugged it up perfectly and was easy to remove later.

I found something very interesting by doing this installation. First of all, as many others have found, the torque on the stem nut from the factory was much less than 85lbs. And second, there was NO WASHER under the stem nut as seen in diagrams and other people's pictures. I had to wait a week to get a washer ordered from the local dealer before I could finish!

I bought my Heli triple clamp as part of the recent group buy and just finished installing it. I did not remove the tank, just covered it up well with towels and rags. I set the original triple clamp upside down on the towels and, with my son holding it, drilled out the ignition lock bolts with a hand drill. Then bolted the switch to the new triple clamp and installed it. As long as you protect the tank and have someone holding the old triple clamp for the drilling I see no reason to remove the tank and disconnect the ignition switch.

Excellent report and photos. I installed my hew HeliBar triple clamp on my '07 yesterday and removed my tank just to be on the safe side. Everything went very smooth until sliding the new triple clamp down over the stem bolt. With the pinch bolts loose, there was no problem on the fork tubes but the stem bolt "lock washer" (Service Manual) was apparently preventing the clamp from sliding on. My "significant other" was pushing on the rear of the bike as I tapped on the clamp.

As I was getting tired, I also got impatient and got a bigger hammer and a big socket for a spacer. I was able to get enough of the stem bolt threads exposed to install the top nut and torque it to the 85#, but I hit the area under the top nut and washer much harder than I should.

Did anyone else have this problem? I'm now losing sleep over what I might have done to the bearings. I will test ride tomorrow to see if anything is obvious initially. I'm also wondering what problems I might encounter when trying to remove the top nut for bearing adjustment and sevice.

Please help!!!

OBD

What a great write up and tutorial! I felt like I was watching one of those surgery shows on TV! :blink:

I have been considering this mod, but have been saving my money for a Russel seat, now I'm not sure which one I should get first...

Decisions decisions :dribble:

Any suggestions on which one I should buy first? I ride daily and put about 2000 miles a month on my bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great write up and tutorial! I felt like I was watching one of those surgery shows on TV! :blink:
I have been considering this mod, but have been saving my money for a Russel seat, now I'm not sure which one I should get first...

Any suggestions on which one I should buy first? I ride daily and put about 2000 miles a month on my bike.

Per my post in July, I had a little problem with getting the Heli clamp over the stem, other than that I've had no problems. Others with the same issue returned the clamp to Heli or enlarged the hole slightly and completed the installation. I have yet to remove the Heli clamp for stem adjustment/lubrication so I'm not sure what I will have to do then.

My reason for the installation was to relieve as much load as possible on my old shoulder and I was able to accomplish that. I've been pleased with the FJR seat so I can't speak to that part of your question. I guess all I can say is that I'm glad I spent the $$$ for the Heli clamp and I would do it again. I just wouldn't have been so impatient and reached for a bigger hammer.

OBD

I would go with the Heli bars, the new angle of the grip is much better than stock.

So what happened to all the instructional pics? Did they get moved to another place? Thanks.
They were moved or deleted from the website that was used to host them. There may be other threads with this info. Try the search function on this site or use google and enter "searchterm site: fjrforum.com".