helibars question - tank interference?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_wheeled

Reaction score
I'm wanting to buy these helibars that will bring my bars back 3", but saw a comment that the tank won't pivot open with this in place.  Is that true?

I've been riding my Gen2 for 6 years with just the block risers.  Wanting more. 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/helibars-handlebar-riser-yamaha-fjr1300-2006-2018?sku_id=976764

heli_bars_riserfor_yamaha_fjr130020062014_750x750.jpg

It's worth it to me and my gen 3 for the helibars.  I now have to slide out the main tank bolt to lift the tank up.  Takes about 2 extra minutes. 😀

Another option that gives you a lot more adjustability options is the ABM bar conversion.  I messed around with the stock bars and a heli-riser full replacement tree for a while and then swapped it all out for the ABM tree and conventional tubular handlebars.  Much easier to get the bars setup how you like them.

I have the helibar bridge on my 2014.  While it is more difficult, it is just barely possible to lift the tank on the rear pivot with the bridge in place.  It is the bracket on the front of the tank that the two (notoriously soft) Allen head cap screws go through that fouls against the heli-bridge.  By wiggling the tank and bars around just so you can get the tank past it.

That's another one of my projects I was about to start on but was missing a couple of tools to complete the job.
Mr. Banks. It's the best, immediate re-investment into your bike and yourself. Study the YouTube vids, get a buddy with a bigger tool bag, and pay utmost attention to protecting your tank from fluids (and whole bike) and putting dents into the tank when you drop the handles. And get a Tech Day going with an FJR leader in the greater south central Texas area. Keep us posted. Thanks:)