Hell Hath No Fury Like a FJR Scorned!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesla

Reaction score
Been about 8-9 months since starting the bike but it ran fine back then. I had put stabilizer in it with 1/2 tank of gas. From what I've read I should have filled it up to minimize condensation.

Just recently I tried to start it but it seems that my barely used Westco battery is dead. Jumped it to the car and finally got it started but the engine sounded strained when trying to turn it over. Running engine did not sound good so I drained all the old gas and put in 2 gallons of fresh mid grade gas with 16 oz of Sea Foam. Engine sounded better but will backfire and die below 1500 rpm. Also noticed after warming it up to four bars that that the header is glowing red so I shut it down.

The next day I started it again but a different section of the pipe next to the muffler turned red. This section didn't glow the previous time. Engine acted the same.

Is this problem as simple as its burning too lean? How big of a job is it to change the timing for someone with somewhat limited mechanical ability? Would I damage the exhaust if I drove it the dealer with cherry red pipes?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Headers glowing red is not an issue by itself and I don't no what part you referring to "next to the exhaust".

The backfire and die below 1500 rpm (it doesn't need an 's by the way since "revolutions" is already plural) seems the primary issue to me. You said the battery was dead, but you haven't replaced it? I know you jumped it, but if the battery is still toast...these bikes seem to do odd things when batteries aren't in good health....or terminals tightened down.

Like Iggy said get a hot battery in it, the electronic ignition works better that way. If it's still happening the let us know.

I wonder if yours is experiencing that "cold re-start" thing whereby the bike floods and it runs like crap for a little while and then clears itself out. Have you run the engine up to full operating temperature?

Also perhaps you have one cylinder not getting fuel (thus the red pipe) because of a clogged injector?

I'm thoroughly convinced that the single worst thing we can do to these motorcycles is NOT ride them often enough.

Just got a new battery so I will install it tomorrow.

Edited my post for better clarification.

Got the temperature up up to four bars.

...Just recently I tried to start it but it seems that my barely used Westco battery is dead...2 gallons of fresh mid grade gas with 16 oz of Sea Foam...after warming it up to four bars that that the header is glowing red...
...a different section of the pipe next to the muffler turned red...

Is this problem as simple as its burning too lean? How big of a job is it to change the timing for someone with somewhat limited mechanical ability...
The FJR ECU will draw a small trickle of current even with the key off and it will be enough to suck a battery dry over 8-9 months.

16 oz of SeaFoam treats 16 gallons of gas. Putting 16 oz in 2 gallons is a pretty stiff ratio, just saying.....

Pipe next to the muffler is glowing red? As in after the catalytic converter? When you saw the header pipes glowing, was it in the dark or was it noticeable with normal room level lighting?

Running lean tends to cause the intake to make popping noises, exhaust popping is rich operation(1). The FJR has fixed spark timing, it can't be adjusted by normal means. The mechanical timing can be verified by removing the valve cover and the cam chain cover and confirming the timing marks and timing arrows on the cams.

(1) The FJR has an air injection system which is active until the engine reaches operating temperature (thermostat opens) and after that it is only active at idle when operating temperature. Air is injected into the exhaust ports in the cylinder head and it will cause the exhaust to make back-fire noises and popping on deceleration or when revving the engine then releasing the throttle.

Catalytic converter area was originally glowing red,then it moved toward the back of the bike towards muffler. I could see this in normal daylight shade.

Sea Foam label stated that the more you use the more the cleaning, even up to a 50/50 ratio.

Catalytic converter area was originally glowing red,then it moved toward the back of the bike towards muffler. I could see this in normal daylight shade.
Red downstream of the cat? On one side, or both? That does seem odd to me if it made it actually close to the mufflers. Hmmmm....you sure you don't either have a rodent that decided to take a dirt nap in there or maybe one of the cats decided to melt.

Only on left side right up next to the muffler.

I haven't looked inside the muffler but I will. I figured that I would smell the critter cooking if it was in there.

Bird nest. Rat hotel. Mouse house. Emu droppings.....definitely check the pipes.

If you have a cylinder laying down and sending unburned fuel to the cats that can cause hot areas near or downstream of cat as the fuel "burns" in the catalyst instead of the cylinder. Could also be the high level of Seafoam; same principal - not burning in cylinder but in pipe/catalyst.

I have experienced poor running and the bike not wanting to idle after the it sits for a while. Seems to go away after a tank of clean fuel so i have always attributed it to mildly gunked up injector(s).

Good points above ^^^^. Just for grins, you might pull the plugs and see if any are wet. A non firing, misfiring, or fouled plug will dump raw fuel into the cat for sure, it might explain the poor idle and the red pipes.

I agree with the points above. You used WAY to much seafoam.

As far as the glowing the entire exhaust system it's not good whatever it is.

How many miles is on your trusty steed?

It could just be the lack of starting dirt finds its way to the motor extremely easy (trust me I just tore mine apart). Could just be dirty. Please keep us updated because this is interesting.

Do I think it's the cat? Nope

Do I think you used to much seafoam? Yup

Do I think this will cure itself? Probably

Pulled iridium plugs before I got it started and they were clean and dry. Mileage is 23,330.

No varmint that I could see in the tailpipe. No Emu droppings either.

Sea Foam FAQ:

Our CLEANING Recommendation:
When cleaning a gasoline or diesel fuel system, it’s safe to add more Sea Foam cleaning solvency to fuel. In fact, the more Sea Foam you add to fuel, the better it cleans! Start with a 2 ounce per gallon treatment and increase as needed. Ratios for induction cleaning devices can be as high as 50% Sea Foam to fuel.

The glowing pipe occurred before and after Sea Foam.

Pictures below conditions were running at 6 minutes and 5 bars at 2000 rpm. Right side pipes had no color change. I'm concerned about trying to ride it to try to correct the problem. Installing new battery today but I don't think it will help.

XJESHkG.jpg

67DUhcO.jpg

I'm here to say, I have never seen my pipes glow like that. It appears that you are almost getting an afterburner effect from the catalyst. The only way that happens is if a lot of hydrocarbon is available to burn there. Seafoam could do that in excessive quantity. This injury looks self-inflicted.

Sea Foam label stated that the more you use the more the cleaning, even up to a 50/50 ratio
Seriously, put that shit back on the shelf, keep it out of your fuel and crankcase, and stop that! Your FJR will run best on regular gasoline, as long as you ride it. This isn't a chainsaw, and you don't need to mix oil in the gas.

XJESHkG.jpg

What's interesting is that all 4 head pipes join together into a common plenum in the cat con, then split out into the two exhaust pipes. Is this happening to one or both exhaust pipes? Since your bike ran normally(?) the last time you rode it and the only real change is adding wayyyyyyyyy to much SeaFoam I'd be inclined to address the gas treatment first.

If this is happening to the exhaust on just one side I would almost suspect that the catalytic converter has been damaged and obstructing the other side. It is surprising that the cat con isn't glowing too.