Helmet funk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickax

Reaction score
Anyone have a tried and true helmet liner disinfectant/ deoderizer?

It's a PITA pulling the liner every other week for de funking. :angry2:

An old biker technique is to stuff the helmet with newspapers that have been wadded up -- it is claimed to soak the funk out of the helmet. Never tried it myself, but I am not funky as a rule :) .

An old biker technique is to stuff the helmet with newspapers that have been wadded up -- it is claimed to soak the funk out of the helmet. Never tried it myself, but I am not funky as a rule :) .
Yeah, but then people get to read "Peanuts" on your forehead.... :lol:

Live in Texas, feel your pain.

I stuff used dryer sheets in mine every night (we have small kids = 10 loads a day). Works very well.

Soak your liner for 30 minutes in 70% isopropyl. Then hand wash with shampoo. Rinse really well. First chore will kill all the stinky bacteria. Second chore will wash out dead bacteria and grease. Your helmet won't stink until you stink it all up again.

Good suggestions, the liner is quite delicate (Nolan N102). Was looking for the spray to lengthen time between pulling it out of the shell. Have been only using dish soap when washing. Will use isopropyl and shampoo next time. Thanks all

Here is one of the tricks that dirt bikers use for their fore head you can just line your helmet with them.

When doing or hare scrambles , gncc and running the hot desert or any hot ride we used " MAXI PADS "

they are very absorbent and then if you get to smelling really bad you can pick up a can of fds spray and give it a shot good luck weekend rider :yahoo: :yahoo:

you could always just buck up and buy the new arai quantum 2. Great helmet, reasonable quiet, very comfortable, great ventilation, and (drum roll please......), Removable helmet liner that can be washed :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

GreyGoose

Last edited by a moderator:
Already do that in "other places", will consider if youv'e got pic's though.
I dont tend to post pics of me doing the wash on the forum. This group will start a thread on goosin the goose with shots of testosterone.

goose_wash.jpg

Great helmet, big bucks, but worth it.

GreyGoose

Deb got her Mom's old housekeeping tips books a few years back. Here's one for ya :)

"Stuff an old sock with cat litter granules (so that will be a few old socks!) and then pack into the smelly sneakers (read "helmet") overnight. This will remove all the smell"

Course, then, you'll have to kick all the cats out of your way the next ride :lol:

Personally, I'd stick with some of the better ideas mentioned :D

Last edited by a moderator: