Helmet Shock Management

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpbfjr

WpbFJR
Reaction score
a former football player has developed a new helmet with shock / absorbsion technology based on pressure having a controlled release from the absorbing material.

from the story: ...(looking) in his medicine cabinet when his eyes fixed upon a ribbed plastic bottle used to squirt saline into sinuses. (Vin) Ferrara squeezed the bottle, then pounded on it — finding that it cushioned soft and hard blows with equal aplomb, almost intelligence.

Slide Show

(nytimes.com, may require FREE registration, did not when i clicked)

Full version of story

Text version of story, no registration needed...

one quote: Dr. Robert Cantu of Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, one of the nation’s leading experts in concussion management, called it “the greatest advance in helmet design in at least 30 years.”

no mention if it was scalable to motorcycle helmets, but anything to lessen the chance of concussion is a good thing...

good / bad for motorcycles?

DOT / snell certifiable?

i guess manufactures would say it's a bad thing, until they can produce their own version... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks very interesting... I can't see why it wouldn't be applicable to moto-helmets.

That helmet system may already be behind the times...
https://www.acsastech.com/products/acsas.asp
That looks pretty cool. They also make THIS which I'd LOVE to have as well.
Very interesting products, especially the Sunshift. Be curious to see who brings it out when.

Obviously their engineering department is a bit weak in the web site design end. Whoever picked the colors for their web site should be shot. What a pain in the ass to read white, yellow, and blue on a black background.

Rancho

Latest posts