HELP...help wheaton get bike started

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zorlac, when your key switch causes your no-start can you hear the fuel pump run?
I believe it does.The ECU will allow the engine to happily crank away but will inhibit the spark because it's not satisfied that the sidestand switch is closed.

If I were the interlock design guy, I would have inhibited the starter motor on a false safety condition, so that the user wouldn't go off on a tangent. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
If flooding is suspected (you still haven't said if you smell fuel at the exhaust outlets), and WOT isn't working, disconnect all 4 injector plugs, then crank again WOT. After a bit it should light, then quit. Reconnect and it should fire right up.

Wheattie, I had the exact same thing happen to me. Got back from NAFO, had some unexpected stuff come up and couldn't ride for a few weeks, then bike would not start. I went through all of the stuff that others have suggested here. I didn't have new plugs on hand, but replaced mine with a set of used ones from last year. The ones I took out were wet. Still no joy in Mudville.

Finally, I went into diag mode and reviewed the codes. I found one set, I think it iwas 16 or 19? Probably a tip over code from when I hit a deer in the spring. Anyway, after clearing that I was able to get it running.

I had run the battery down trying to start it, then recharged it overnight, at least three times before it would run.

No problems since. :dntknw:

It throws a code 19 when the ignition interlock contacts are open and you crank it for awhile without it starting, at least mine did.

Mark,

I was just wondering yesterday if you had any luck getting the bike started. Sorry to hear that you have not. I would offer to swing by and try to help, but I am out of town the next two weekends. Good luck.

Thanks everybody for the assist! :clapping: My head is spinning from all the helpful replies...you guys are great to help me out like this...you have given me many ideas to look for. I will print out this thread and "have at it" tonight after work.

Hopefully, I will get to the cure by the end of this weekend. If not...next weekend's MO/AR ride will be ruinerd for me. :(

edit: I put in new plugs (iridiums) last night before trying to start it again with no luck...I will post a picture of the old plugs.

I'll go through your guys' checklists as well as a massively helpful one pm'd from yamaholic last night.

rad, I smelled gas but did not think to check the exhaust outlet (ie : muffler?) till you guys suggested it. Will check that tonight.

rad, I smelled gas but did not think to check the exhaust outlet (ie : muffler?) till you guys suggested it. Will check that tonight.
Yes, outlet. This would confirm flooding, crank a few turns then sniff. You said you smelled gas, but at the same time said you had just drained and refilled the tank, so I suspected that as the odor source. Anyway, I have a number of times disconnected injectors to clear start a well flooded motor.

Mark, I can't come over tonight, but if you still haven't solved this mystery by tomorrow evening, I can come give you a hand then.

Mark, I can't come over tonight, but if you still haven't solved this mystery by tomorrow evening, I can come give you a hand then.
Thanks Larry! :clapping:

Hopefully I will have it solved by then...but with my limited skills...I am feeling doubtful.

I'll certainly try to make it worth your while if it does come to that. :clapping:

Mark,

as much as i would like to come up and drink all your beer, i do believe that with us 2 working on your FJR that it definitely would never be the same ;)

have faith brother it will start again :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yes, outlet. This would confirm flooding, crank a few turns then sniff. You said you smelled gas, but at the same time said you had just drained and refilled the tank, so I suspected that as the odor source. Anyway, I have a number of times disconnected injectors to clear start a well flooded motor.
I siphoned and put some premium in on Saturday...tried to start it Saturday...no worky. Put sparkplugs in last night...tried to start...no worky. Gas smell after cranking engine last night. Therefore I think I may have flooded it and not some extraneous smell from filling the tank. It's just that WOT did not seem to work for me this time. Operator error maybe...

It may be as simple as a flooded condition. However, I will check spark....and if all else fails maybe take off sparkplugs overnight like geezer did to vent the extra gas out of the chamber. Just a little unsure about how to keep contaminants out while the sparkplugs are off. :huh:

like rad said if you unplug the injectors then crank it over WOT it will clear any unburned gas out much quicker than pulling plugs and waiting. IF thats indeed the problem.

Gas, Spark, Air, eliminate each possibility one at a time. work through it systematically you'll find it.

good luck! wanted to join you guys on your MO/AR ride but schedule won't allow.

like rad said if you unplug the injectors then crank it over WOT it will clear any unburned gas out much quicker than pulling plugs and waiting. IF thats indeed the problem.

Gas, Spark, Air, eliminate each possibility one at a time. work through it systematically you'll find it.

good luck! wanted to join you guys on your MO/AR ride but schedule won't allow.
I don't know much (as said before)...I will look in my service manual for the diagram of the injectors...any trick to unplugging them? Also, do you crank WOT while unplugged, then reinsert them and crank WOT? Any photos of them there injectors?

I think it's probably flooded.

Here are some ideas/thoughts/reccos:

As much as I hesitate in recommending this approach -- sometimes, it's all that works: Burn the excess fuel out of the cumbustion chambers with a long match or a propane torch. Now -- you need to be really, REALLY, careful with fire around gasoline! You may need to (slowly) rotate the engine via the rear wheel? -- top gear/sparkplugs removed. But, once you burn the fuel in there you may have a chance to get it going -- otherwise, you'll just be adding more fuel to an already 'too much' condition (see 'radman's post). Make sure you're not going to start a fire....!!

W.O.T. is the key for starting a flooded engine.

Next..., be judicious about running the starter motor. Many m/c starter motors have been ruined trying to start bikes that aren't going to run -- no matter how long the button's pushed-in. Used to be the same for kick-starters -- many broken trying to start bikes with a problem.

I don't know about the FJR?...but, many fuel injection systems go 'richer' with lower voltage -- so, 12.8 volts is nec. to start with and realize the more you crank the lower the voltage and, maybe?, the 'richer' (for sure, you'll be injecting more).

And finally: for those who may want to start their FJR with their hand on the throttle: The FJR's F.I. computer has all the info it needs to start your engine (cold) without a throttle signal from you. Turn the key 'on' (wait for pump to pressurize the system), disengage the clutch, press the button. Do not send a 'throttle' signal with the twistgrip. Crank a few revs -- if it doesn't start -- stop pressing the button. Then, just repeat the button press. This, I think, will usually work -- altho, 'wheaton's issue is beond that -- prolly flooded?.

But, back to all others: the FJR cold-start system has seemed very effective to me -- just press the button (mine runs in-excess of 2K (sometimes when fairly cold, close to 2.5K).

Good Luck, 'wheaties'.

UPDATE...

I charged the battery overnight last night...put it in and before going through the checklists...tried WOT...this time I must have done it correctly...WOT, then turn key on, then press starter. It took almost immediately...then was very smooth.

Looking back, I think the plugs were an issue, combined with some less than ideal gas, plus weaker uncharged battery. I think that I did the WOT incorrectly as well, flooding the engine.

I am now going out to change the crank and final drive oils...

A MAJOR THANKS TO THIS FORUM for all the assistance and offers of help.

Thanks to you...I have a major smile on my face.

The MO/AR ride is definitely ON! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Congrats!

Now let this be a lesson...

NEVER let it sit for that long! :lol:

I wish I could meet up with you guys when you come down...

Got some "stuff" I gotta deal with...

Be safe and have fun! :good:

It sure is frustrating when these things don't want to start. Probably because we are spoiled by how reliable they normally are.

Glad you're back on the road. Enjoy the weekend.