Help! OEM Heated Grips not working

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Rider 07

Reaction score
I have noticed that my heated grips are not working. I had a recent accident, causing damage to the right front of the bike. Had the repairs made. I know the grips connect into the system behind the front left turn signal. I have checked and those connections look good. I can't find any info on a fuse, but I would think there would have to be one. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dave

Actually if the bike's running, headlights are on, see if the front brake lever activates the brake light. If it does then the fuses are all good, and the grips should have voltage going to them. If the brake light doesn't come on then check the signal system fuse(it also powers the grips).

If OK then check the resistance of each grip. At the left front there will be a black, and grey plug (the ones you were looking at). Unplug them and check the grip end of each. You should have 1.2-1.5 ohms on each. If either one is bad, then both won't work, they're in series.

If that all checks out OK see if the controller comes on. It won't come on until the rear wheel speed reaches 12 MPH and above. Then it turns off at 8 MPH and below.

Last edited by a moderator:
The right grip ternds to fail, going open-circuit, probably due to all the flexing. Check the connection for continuity through the grips. If one fails, neither side works because they are in series.

I hope you have warranty left on your bike - that grip costs aomething like $250.