Help with damage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TILAM

Reaction score
I had an unfortunate experience on Thursday.

I encountered a rogue large plastic garbage can which lodged under my front wheel at about 35 mph. Needless to say I went down. The bike slid on it`s left side then flipped over to the right hand side. In doing so it came down very hard on the right hand frame slider and had cracked the frame at the engine mount. Not right off but down to the hole from the top forward side. seems as if it might be bent slightly. The rest of the damage is largely cosmentic and quite fixable. It starts and seem to run fine. Haven`t ridden it though. The engine side of the connection is ok.

The other side of the coin is that ATGATT works. My old Aerostich is worn heavily in a few spots and my left boot is done for but even though my left leg was trapped under the bike till it flipped back over I haven`t a scratch. While a bit stiff from the bouncing I`m fine and even went to work the next day. The appraiser is coming tomorrow afternoon and I would like to be prepared.

[/img]

Obviously I am having problems posting a picture, (I`m no geek)

Last edited by a moderator:

P1010483.jpg

There ya go.

With a broken frame, surely it'll be a total.

Glad to hear that ALL is Well with You! :) The Bike Might be an other Story. I Think a Cracked Frame is a Game Changer.

But, I'm sure the Experts will Chime In on That one. ATGATT is always a Good Thing to do. Good Luck!

I'm sorry to read reports like yours....he said, glad in his heart it wasn't he this happened to....

1.) I'm glad YOU are alright. And some wonder why others preach and nag about wearing gear all the time... :blink:

Your related soreness will be waning soon so it will be time for.......

2.) Replacement Therapy! :yahoo:

Caution...this may not thrill your S.O. or dependents (whether living with you or now on their own). Trust me, I know of whence I speak.

As mentioned above, the price and labor for changing a frame and replacing any and everything that is scratched, cracked, our of shape, out of line, etc., will be prohibitive. :angry:

Yep, totaled with a cracked frame. Start stripping your farkles off before the bike is sent to the graveyard !

Glad your OK and survived the attack of the garbage can.

Got to agree with the rest. I have worked with a lot of crashed bikes for customers and structural damage like that makes it history. If you had all the tooling and the urge I'm sure it could be fixed but other wise , save the goodies and send it on to the bone yard. If you could get it from the insurance company for real cheap maybe you could make some farkle money parting it out.

I encountered a rogue large plastic garbage can which lodged under my front wheel at about 35 mph. Needless to say I went down. The bike slid on it`s left side then flipped over to the right hand side. In doing so it came down very hard on the right hand frame slider and had cracked the frame at the engine mount. Not right off but down to the hole from the top forward side. seems as if it might be bent slightly. The rest of the damage is largely cosmentic and quite fixable. It starts and seem to run fine. Haven`t ridden it though. The engine side of the connection is ok.

The other side of the coin is that ATGATT works. My old Aerostich is worn heavily in a few spots and my left boot is done for but even though my left leg was trapped under the bike till it flipped back over I haven`t a scratch. While a bit stiff from the bouncing I`m fine and even went to work the next day. The appraiser is coming tomorrow afternoon and I would like to be prepared.

[/img]

Update

I have been in talks with the adjuster and we came to the conclusion that if the frame is cracked then it is a write off. But I was browsing looking for a replacement bike and came up with a photo of the right hand side of the frame and the frame has a slot in it at the engine mount with a pinch bolt there.

Could someone confirm that the 2006 frame has a slot there please? Might be able to salvage the beast yet. Damn I've pulled most of the farkles off!

Could someone confirm that the 2006 frame has a slot there please? Might be able to salvage the beast yet. Damn I've pulled most of the farkles off!
My 2008 has the slot and a pinch bolt on the right hand side :D

I don't know what your insurance situation is, but on a 2006 a left/right drop and flop is a total regardless of frame damage. You have minimally lost the tupperware on both sides as well as luggage. Engine cases and stator cover will be damaged, as well as handlebars, windshield, and lots of other surfaces. The bike will total, even if the frame is intact. Insurance does not look at discounted parts prices, but the price of OEM parts and labor to make it like new.

Your removal of farkles is not a lost effort The question is, did you schedule accessories?

Gen 2's do have a pinch bolt at that location.

But 2006 *was* some time ago, from insurance perspective.

My deer strike with a 2006 in 2007 was marginal from insurance perspective. If they had known of the radiator damage, it would have totaled. Put back together, KrZy8 rides and runs fine, at nearly 150k on the odo.

5.JPG

It's now 2011... me thinks your 06 is gone, sorry.

If you have the means, buy it back and sell pieces to us peeps that needs parts and can't afford new? :huh:

I don't know what your insurance situation is, but on a 2006 a left/right drop and flop is a total regardless of frame damage. You have minimally lost the tupperware on both sides as well as luggage. Engine cases and stator cover will be damaged, as well as handlebars, windshield, and lots of other surfaces. The bike will total, even if the frame is intact. Insurance does not look at discounted parts prices, but the price of OEM parts and labor to make it like new.

Your removal of farkles is not a lost effort The question is, did you schedule accessories?
Luggage yes but outer covers only. I've taken them on and off and latches etc seem OK. Most tupper wear is generally in good shape. The stator cover is fine and there was no loss of any fluids. Starts and idles fine. Shifts into gear fine and clutch works, other than a bent lever. Handle bars maybe, windshield is ok. If I had to pay for it and fix it on the cheap I bet I ould do it for a couple of grand and it would be presentable. The frame under the faring seems to be bent a bit and both mirrors are done.

I'm going to get them to get it checked out properly as they were writing it off based soley on the aledged frame crack. The frame siders may have actually done thier job better than I thought originally.

Outer covers aren't replaced separately, you can only buy the entire side case, prolly over 600 bucks each. They don't look at refinishing or repairing the cover, they look at the parts list Yamaha provides.

There is more shit wrong than you can see right now. There ALWAYS is. Believe me.

Front sub-frame, radiator, headlight cluster mounting tabs, perhaps rear sub-frame. There is stuff bent and it will add up VERY quickly. Post more pictures, but I am of the thinking that the insurance company will total it, even without frame damage.

There is more shit wrong than you can see right now. There ALWAYS is. Believe me.

Front sub-frame, radiator, headlight cluster mounting tabs, perhaps rear sub-frame. There is stuff bent and it will add up VERY quickly. Post more pictures, but I am of the thinking that the insurance company will total it, even without frame damage.
Tilam, This is Good Advice Right Here! I Feel your Pain Bro! Trust Me! I Do! But, You've got to let this one go. It's Gone. You Don't want to ride this Bike anymore!

There are Many FJRs out there just waiting for a New Home. As an NDT Technician, You Must Know this to be True. It's a Buyers Market. Take your Pick and Say Goodbye to this one! :)

Sorry to hear of this garbage can mess and glad to know you're ok. The bike can be replaced etc., you on the other hand...

Great advice by all. Now's your chance to get a truly great bike, a Gen1 2005 w/ABS. :D

Good luck on your new scoot pursuit. ;)

I low-sided in 2004. Bike slid on it's right side then flipped upright against a concrete wall. The slider did a great job in minimising the damage to the plastic, etc. But when the plastic was stripped off, there were broken tabs and bent pieces all over to deal with. The frame was not cracked though ------------ which is why I still ride her today. Good luck with the insurance peeps.

lowside5-1.jpg