Help with hesitation/loss of power on '05

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullboost

Reaction score
I have a 2005 FJR, 18k miles and its been running great up until yesterday.

I took a day ride and fueled up with 89 octane. A few miles later, I noticed the bike was running rough but not to the point I couldn't continue riding it. I noticed when I passed a car, the power was way down and there is a slight hesitation upon acceleration.. I was able to get home fine..

I began thinking I had bad fuel, so I drained the tank and put new fuel in (and added some stabilizer).. Bike is still running bad!

I replaced the spark plugs and installed a new air filter today.. Its still running bad!

I accessed the diagnostic screen to see if any codes were present and there are not any.

Any idears before I take it to my local yamaha dealer?

Do you have a Power Commander? I had a short in one of the wires on mine that made the bike run like crap.

fuel

air

spark

compression

rolleyes.gif

Could be your TPS. Have you had the recall done to replace it? You can check the TPS with the diagnostic screen. A bad one could cause rough running and lurching.

I do not have a power commander.. Its all stock right now (although I would like to get one)!

I did check the TPS via the display and that seemed to be working fine.. I went to my local yamaha dealer who pulled up records and said the TPS was done in 2009.

I just checked battery terminals and they are tight.

How's the idle? Does it hesitate/stumble coming off idle? If so, try running some yamalube ringfree, and see if that clears things up

I had a badly fouled injector on mine last year, which made it run like crap, and ended up with me pulling the injectors and having them cleaned.

It's not a DIY job, as it requires an injector cleaning machine. Each injector has a small screen that can get plugged, and will need replacing as part of the injector service.

It does stumble slightly coming off idle.. I can try a bottle of that ring free and see if that helps.
Ring Free is highly concentrated (treats 66 gallons) so unlike Techron or Sea Foam where a whole bottle is just 2-3 times too much, a bottle of Ring Free is seriously too much.

FWIW, you symptoms are nothing like a bad TPS. Since your problem is a light-switch -- ON/OFF, good one minute, bad the next and coincides with a tank of gas it makes sense to check that first.

Check out my issue here.....https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/152078-not-rough-idlenow-rough-accel-and-sputtering/

Check out FJRBluesman's link in that thread. My money is on battery. It's unbelievable how a decent battery is needed for the bike to operate properly. Make sure to check for the little rubber protector on the positive terminal. My battery checked out tight too, then I loosened the positive terminal and that little bit of rubber trapped under there was causing a bad connection. Anyway it's all in that thread. Good luck!

My battery checked out tight too, then I loosened the positive terminal and that little bit of rubber trapped under there was causing a bad connection.
Hell - I replaced my battery a while back and didn't even get the positive cable securely attached to the battery and my bike ran fine for 1000+ miles!

The looks on the faces of Bust and extrememarine at Tech Day when that cable popped off? Priceless.

My battery checked out tight too, then I loosened the positive terminal and that little bit of rubber trapped under there was causing a bad connection.
Hell - I replaced my battery a while back and didn't even get the positive cable securely attached to the battery and my bike ran fine for 1000+ miles!

The looks on the faces of Bust and extrememarine at Tech Day when that cable popped off? Priceless.
Lol! Wow definitely not the norm! You got lucky for sure! We were talking about this same thing over on the fast site and many over there experienced serious issues when the battery wasn't up to snuff. Shoulda played the lottery!

Well I'm gonna go out this morning and check it over better.. I don't know the history of the batter so I might even replace it.. It was in the bike when I got it last fall from the insurance auto auction.. The battery was completely dead but seemed fine after I charged it up.

With that said, I'd bet its your battery. I recently took a 700 mile trip on my 5.5 year old OEM battery. I knew it was getting ready to die.

The bike ran funny and the check engine light came on a few times. Replaced the battery, took it on a 150 mile ride today and the FJR is back to normal. It weird, but that's the way it is.

I checked the battery out, the terminals were all tight and there was no rubber between the connectors..

The battery its reading 12.8 volts (without engine on).. Engine running its at 14.2 volts

Sound normal?

I checked the battery out, the terminals were all tight and there was no rubber between the connectors..
The battery its reading 12.8 volts (without engine on).. Engine running its at 14.2 volts

Sound normal?
Yes, in fact perfect. Your FJR should run just fine with this battery.

The battery has certainly been degraded after being completely dead but it sounds to me like it is still a player.

The coils will still fire adequately and the fuel injectors will still operate correctly at 10.0 volts. The only limit at that low voltage is the coils may not let the engine reach red line in the top gears. If the guys with loose terminals and rubber pinched in the battery terminal had a volt meter installed they would have seen the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: