Help with wife and FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryt

Reaction score
I have been searching and lurking here for a while. This past weekend the wife and I where riding the Versys and stopped into a dealer. We rode a Yamaha Road Star Silverado S, Stratoliner, and Vulcan?1600. The wife loved it. I have approval to buy in May. I am trying to find a dealer,private owner, anyone with a FJR in West Tennessee. I asked the wife if she liked the looks of FJR WITH trunk for her, she said looks like uncomfortable like the Versys. So, if I can find one for her to ride, I am in. So, anyone help a brother out? I have M endorsement, full coverage,etc.

Any advise as to the ride compared to those bikes. She does not care what I buy if she is MORE comfortable than she is on the Versys. The back box, back rest is what sold her. Never a complaint from roll on to 90, unlike the Versys, where my speakers are screaming slow down.

We had a VTX 1800R prior to the FJR. My wife says the FJR is more comfortable. She falls asleep on a regular basis. She'll like it.

LOL. A used FJR is what got me interested in getting back into cycling. My wife and I went and looked. She decided that a Goldwing was necessary for her comfort :eek:

So we bought a GW. Decided it was too heavy for me to handle two up. So we got a GW trike. That I can handle 2up. Last year I traded the 2 wheel GW for an FJR for solo riding.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
An important factor for long term (hours per day) comfort on the FJR has to include the seat, IMO. Ask any couple that do long days 2up and you'll get good advice on seats. At any FJR meet, NAFO, EOM, Nerds, etc. you will find many couples on FJRs. My guess is that more that half use aftermarket seats. I have had a Rick Meyers build front saddle on my bike for 7 + yars and love it. Big difference in all day comfort. I recently had Rick rebuild the passenger seat because wifey will be joining me on a couple trips this year and the stock seat shape ain't so friendly for multi day rides.

There seem to be alot of good used FJRs out there. You may be lucky and find one with a good seat on it already.

Good Luck!

The Versys is a very different bike from the FJR, as the FJR is way different from a Stratoliner. You are coming from a light, narrow bike with a high skinny perch for your wife to sit on. No wonder she is worried. The passenger accommodations on the Versys are an afterthought at best. The FJR can be made into one of the best 2-up bikes on the market, but it may require replacement or modification of the stock seat to get there. The cruisers you rode are significantly slower and less agile than the FJR, but are definitely good rides if you want to cruise. Considering what you have been riding, I'd be surprised if you feel a heavy cruiser delivers what you're looking for.

I see a lot of smiles on the 2-up riders.

DeathValleyday1007Medium.jpg

QuincyFJR040.jpg

An important factor for long term (hours per day) comfort on the FJR has to include the seat, IMO.
Listen to him - he speaketh the trutheth.

A Russell (picked up off another forum member) changed my wife's entire outlook on riding.

LOL. A used FJR is what got me interested in getting back into cycling. My wife and I went and looked. She decided that a Goldwing was necessary for her comfort :eek:

So we bought a GW. Decided it was too heavy for me to handle two up. So we got a GW trike. That I can handle 2up. Last year I traded the 2 wheel GW for an FJR for solo riding.

Ken
So....... After doing the Math on this Problem, I got the correct and final answer! :rolleyes: Get rid of the Wife!! :)

Just a thought: the FJR has anti-lock brakes and it's stellar handling may well save your life one day. Those two items might make a difference...

Gary

darksider #44

Few months back I took the wife to the International bike show. After setting on the top of the line Gold Wing she says you need to get this for your next bike and I said maybe in addition too but I'm keeping the FJR. A few weeks back we went to the Myrtle Beach hot rod show. Wife says these are cool for your next car you need to get one.

I haven't got either one!!

Does anyone know of any Beach Babe Bikini contest going where I can take my wife. Maybe the third time will be the Charm. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A little while back, we were at a family gathering. During that conversation, my wife says, "AJ NEEDS a hotrod." I really need to get on it and capitalize on that thinking.