Hey technical types !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jekirby

Reaction score
I have a cabinet shop and most all my machines use digital read-outs that take 2 AA batteries. These readouts can go through as many as 5 sets a year and seeing that I have 7 of these, that is a lot of batteries. I was going to start getting recharable batteries and wondered if betweent the 2 or 3 brands out there if there was really a difference? I wanted to ask before I go down to my local big box store and buy what seemed like a good deal. The only thing I know about modern rechargable batteries is that my makita nickle metal hydride batteries were far better than my dewalt lithium ion batteries and there is newer technology out there with whick I am not familiar. Thanks folks, I know this seems like a small thing, but every dollar I can save is worth it.

Do the readouts need to be wireless?

pRS1C-3372822w345.jpg

Do the readouts need to be wireless?
pRS1C-3372822w345.jpg
Yes, they are self contained and have no provisions for adapters....from the factory. I could rig up something, but the problem is that some of them need to move on a linear track, so yes wireless is necessary for most.

This gives you an idea of what I have to deal with. In some cases, the readout needs to be removed from the fence and still needs to be powered as well as attached to the read head to maintain callibration. I need to stick with batteries.

Had to ask.

Long steady current draw favors nickel-metal-hydride type batteries. You can get 2000mAh AA Ni-MH batteries that should offer very long run times. They are not inexpensive. Be sure that the battery charger you get is rated for the mAh of batteries you buy, Ni-MH chargers aren't all equal.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you have to take into consideration is even the "rechargeable" batteries are only good for a certain amount of what is called full life cycles. That means that they will only be good for say 3 dozen or so full charge and depletion cycles. So keep that in mind when you are price shopping and use the cost of the rechargeable v. the cost of the disposable batteries over the life cycle of the rechargeables.

J-K

I have some of both the Powerex from the 1st link above and some Duracell rechargeables that I'm testing now in DVRs. No experience w/Sanyo although I think they're thought of highly. Mine are both 2700mAh and seem to have a lot of life especially when freshly charged the night before use.

One issue w/rechargeables that the industry is starting to tackle now seems to be very short shelf-life once charged (i.e. they spontaneaously disharge at a rate higher than regular alkaline batteries). Don't know if this would be a problem in your application or not.

As to price and recharge cycles, I'd have to respectfully disagree with ultimateanswers' contention that rechargeables are only good for a few dozen "duty cycles". A lot has to do w/how the batteries are treated during the charge cycles w/chargers now available that can re-condition the batteries to more fully accept a charge and thus extend their useful life. Pricing right now runs $2.50-3.00/battery. To me it's a no-brainer that they'll save money over using alkalines. `Jes my 2 cents.

Good luck,

VPup

I've been using some rechargable AA's for the TV remotes, my old Ipod remote, the remote control car transmitters, etc, for a while. I've used both the ray-o-vac and energizer "rechargable alkaline" type, even though I'm pretty sure they aren't alkaline batteries. They are just marketed that way.

They preform well, and hold a charge for long periods of time well in the TV remote.

Also, they don't like being in the cold. I had some in my camera that I took to vancouver (snow) and Crystal Mt. (snow) and it ended their lives pretty quickly. Now I just use disposable during the sub-freezing months and rechargables elsewhere.