High Pitch Injector Noise?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SECA_to_FJR

Reaction score
I have a 2006A with about 9k on it. Recently it started making a faint, high pitch noise

that sounds similar to when you first turn the ignition key to the on position and the

injectors prime. Its not as loud as that but it is constant and you can here it at idle.

If you put a little load on the electrical system (like grabbing the brake and light turns

on) the pitch gets just a lower. The sound "seems" to be coming from the front under the

tank up high.

Performance wise it runs great with nothing unusual going on. Mileage is typical etc...

Any thoughts? Think its harmful to continue riding with problem undiagnosed? I'm going to

compare "idle sounds" to my buddy's 2007A to make sure I'm not imagining anything but

haven't made it over there yet. I really hate bringing it to the shop but I'm no mechanic

either.

Thanks for any help on this...

The injectors don't whine. The noise you hear at key-on is the fuel pump. I can hear my fuel pump while the bike's running if I listen closely, and I'm not wearing ear plugs, but being a once-talented musician I know how to tune hearing and listen for specific sounds.

If it's something that varies in pitch with road speed or engine speed, you're probably hearing gear noise. If it changes when you shift, it's the transmission, if it doesn't it's the balance shafts. All the gears in the Feej (except right-angle bevels) are straight-cut, and they whine.

I'm not sure you have a problem at all.

The injectors don't whine. The noise you hear at key-on is the fuel pump. I can hear my fuel pump while the bike's running if I listen closely, and I'm not wearing ear plugs, but being a once-talented musician I know how to tune hearing and listen for specific sounds.

If it's something that varies in pitch with road speed or engine speed, you're probably hearing gear noise. If it changes when you shift, it's the transmission, if it doesn't it's the balance shafts. All the gears in the Feej (except right-angle bevels) are straight-cut, and they whine.

I'm not sure you have a problem at all.
Thanks for the clarification on the fuel pump vs what I thought were the injectors. But it is that type of noise, just fainter and constant that I don't recall hearing before. I can only hear it at idle as it is faint but I can hear it even with my helmet on. The variation in pitch i think is due to electrical load, not engine speed or the gear whine which has has always been present and is different from this. Like I say, I hope to compare it to my buddy's bike shortly. Thanks for suggestions...

Well, you do want the fuel pump running while the bike's running . . . . :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The sound your hearing is the fuel pump and that sound is normal. It is normal for the sound to change with increased electrical load.

Sounds normal, however, if the noise was not audible and suddenly is, it is probably a good thing to monitor for further noise increases; it may be trying to tell you something (but hopefully, and probably, all is well).

Thanks for the insight everyone. Maybe my ears are just getting better! Certainly doesn't sound like crisis mode. I'll just keep an eye (and ear) on it to see if it gets worse...