Highway Pegs for T-Rex Engine Guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that if you put them on the front area that is on an angle up - you'd end up with exactly where you want those pegs to go....

Those Pegs I posted are Folding

PJF_6230_zps0b5cb2d0.jpg

Yeah, I know that the pegs fold. What doesn't is the short block that the peg pivots on. If that is mounted too low, I've heard of that hitting down before the foot pegs do and levering the tires off the road.

I'm thinking that if the 3 piece clamp were placed on the bottom bar inverted, so that the tang that the pegs mount to were pointing straight up, that might be a good location and only decrease the ground clearance by the thickness of the clamp. One problem is that, on the T-Rex guards, the right side bar has a weld joint right in the middle of the lowest horizontal bar, which is right where I would want to put it. I may be able to Dremel the weld smooth and get the clamp to fit on there without weakening the guard. The left side guard is a nice smooth, straight bar. Weird that they are so much different from side to side.

I'll order a set of those clamps this week and see where I can fit them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered and received my 3 Piece Clamps from Amazon, $24 shipped. These turned out to work fine on the T-Rex engine guards, with a little tweaking. The weld on the center of the bottom horizontal bar on the right side turned out to not be a problem. I just slapped the clamp right over the weld, which gave it something to grab on to.

On the left side same location the bar is flat and smooth. But the clamp did not have enough grip on the 7/8" bar to keep it from spinning with pressure on the pegs, so for now I have stuck a piece of folded sandpaper between clamp and bar as a shim and to give it some "bite" on the bar. The new lower location seems like it will work out fine. Put the same set of spray painted footpegs on the new clamps to see how I like the new location.

003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

Vibration is not bad, really. Not much different than the Motorcycle Larry Pegs I had previously, which mount on the engine cases. Maybe the bars being frame mounted help minimize that?
unsure.png
One could always get some cushier pegs.

Also, if these were still too high for someone they could be spun around and slung under the lowest bar on the cage, but I have a feeling that would mean reduced cornering angles.

An alternative to the three part clamp style.

First a warning -

Notwithstanding the photo on their web site, the R&G Racing pegs do not fold. I have no idea why the photo has not been changed to reflect the shipping product. https://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Universal/Universal/All/HWP0002BK

Instead I installed these MFW units

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/mfw-footpeg-clamp-set-for-crash-bars-with-0-85in-to-1-125in-21mm-to-28mm-diameter-pair-black

Will see how they impact cornering angles.

-Steve

You must have shimmed the bars some for those clamps since the bars are less than .75", right? I had to even with the 3 part clamps I showed above and they were supposed to be for .75" bars

No shim so far. 21 mm is .827 in, so they are only .076 in too big. (14 gauge sheet metal?)

The smaller clamp seems to be ok, the black caps may not fit, (too much thread exposed) have not put them on since I am still wondering if I have the right placement.

After a 5 min test ride, I havent put a lot of weight on the pegs, but they are staying in place.

Stay tuned.

-Steve

About 30 min test ride, still seems ok. No hard cornering. Time for photos.

rK4hh2.jpg

ofYCIi.jpg

Long ride coming soon, so maybe more feedback later this month.

-Steve

Holeshot Scott

After about 8000 km (5000 miles) all is well with the pegs.

I drove into a freak hailstorm about a month ago, and went ass over teakettle in 2 inches of ice at about 3kph.

Here is what happened -

Yw4cCq.jpg

The peg hanger clamp put a dent in the back side of the T-Rex tubing. You cant see it in the photo.

No other damage, yeah!

I put everything back in place and seems ok so far.

(Sidebar - when you want to ask a specific forum member a question, you may be best to send them a private message (PM). If I wasnt subscribed to this thread, I wouldn't have known about your question.)

FJR PILOT, Hope you are alright after that kind of wreck. It looks like the cages and pegs held up very well. Thanks for the reply I will now be buying those pegs.

Fred - this is still do-able.... just get a nice clamp for Your Size Bars....
Similar to this....

https://www.amazon.com/Drag-Specialties-Three-Piece-Frame-Clamp/dp/B0081HN8PS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

And for Pegs I went with these

https://www.amazon.com/Rivco-Products-Anti-Vibration-Highway-Pegs/dp/B005U80V6K/ref=pd_sim_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Zvt-SQr7L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1BVSXQW54CK2RSJFNZM6

Reasonable cost - and moveable to where you find the best in comfort.....

They grip just fine, and have never moved on me in 10K miles.

Heres a pic on them on my 15, with the Canyon Cages.

https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Warpdrv/2015%20FJR/PJF_6228_zps85bd5928.jpg
If you use this type of clamp go to JP Cycles. They carry the clamp for 3/4" bars.

Latest posts