Honda ST1300 vs. Yamaha FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CODan

Reaction score
I've been riding since 75, with about 50,000miles on street bikes, mostly in my early 20s. After stopping for about 14 years, I got back into it 10 years ago with a KTM dirt bike.

This year I got back into street bikes with a used ZZR1200. Very nice bike, but I'm not 20 anymore and I've decided I need more comfort and wind protection.

I've narrowed it down to an FJR or an ST. I'll buy either new or very lightly used next spring-winter is about to shut us down here in Colorado, though I might buy something now and just hold it till spring.

I've rode the FJR last May and liked everything about it except the wind roar. The windshield was stock, so perhaps this can be mitigated with a different shield.

I haven't ridden the ST.

I'm not quite certain what I want. Something reasonably sporty but with good protection.

I'd really appreciate comments on the ST vs. FJR question.

Thanks.

i've never ridden a ST but as far as wind noise on the FJR , i find that my v-stream shield cuts the noise down a lot. especially when in all the way up position

Dan, it helps if you read ALL comparison threads. Invariably someone will compare many different bikes they've ridden or owned. Click on this link to a thread comparing the C-14 and the FJR. On pg. 4 of the thread, around post 65 or 66 and following, there begins a discussion comparing the New Connie, the FJR and the ST 1300.

Maybe this will help.

I'd really appreciate comments on the ST vs. FJR question.
The bias on this site will be heavily in favor of the FJR (just the opposite of the bias you will read when you ask the guys on the ST site).

I have had a st1100 for about 4 years and love it. However earlier this year when it was approaching 80k miles I decided that it needed a garage mate. I really wanted to stay with Honda because of my experience with the st1100 but bought a FJR. Why you ask?

Mostly for me it was the heat issue. Yamaha solved it, Honda didn’t.

Then you could list other pluses where the FJR wins… Price, weight, abs standard, power and looks to name a few. (Also the st1300 has killed several policemen in Europe and a lot of police agencies in Europe are selling off their st1300s and buying FJR1300s but that’s a different story.)

I’ll be real surprised if anyone here recommends that you buy the Honda.

Bob

My history is about the same as yours, and awhile back I did all the research I could on the ST, FJR and BMW's , Ducati , etc. I chose the FJR and have not looked back.

The ST is heavier , slower, hotter, and just a bit ugly. Looks aside, many do think the Honda is bit more comfortable, but I am not sure why they say that. It was the only one I did test ride, and I found it kind of boring......and heavy.

The FJR is not exactly lightweight either, but feels more connected to the road than the Honda...not sure how else to decribe it.

I did get a somewhat lower seat, and a Cee Baily windscreen that is taller and wider. Wind noise not really a problem anymore, but I must also add that I found out that my Fulmer full face helmet was alot of the noise problem. After switching to another helmet (RF1000) things are alot better.

There are several other aftermarket windscreens for the FJR that seem to solve noise issues, but which works for you tends to be subjective. The right helmet and windscreen can of course make a diffrence on any bike, so I would not let that issue be the your sole judging point. Many wear earplugs when riding anyway..............

I will also point out that Motorcyclists latest comparison of the BMW, FJR, C-14 and ST had the ST dead last, if that shows anything to you.

KM

I would have to agree with Bob. I had an ST1300 for about 3 months and now I have the FJR.

The ST is very smooth (engine vibration is practically non existent) but it has a significant heat issue (reason I sold it). I don't think it handles as well as the FJR, especially at speed. I did not really like the wrap around look of the plastic either. The ST is considerably less powerful and had some issues with the counter balancers.

The FJR has issues as well as you will see from the many threads on this site, but for my money the FJR is head and shoulders above the ST. If Honda would fix the heat problem and give it a plastic overhaul, could be a closer race, but today it isn't even close in my book.

Get the FJR and enjoy the ride.

Ken

I can personally vouch for this bike: 2006 FJR

An excellent, well maintained machine. He also has an ST for sale that is extrememly low mileage.

I have rode both and currently own an FJR, the ST is more tourer and the FJR is more sport, but overall both are nice bikes. I recently put a Cee Baily windshield on my FJR and hardly any wind noise at all. Don't think you could go wrong with either bike. Just my opinion though.

I could never get over the ST1300 looking like a hacked-up GoldWing. Honda's service reputation and resale value cannot be argued against, IMHO. Sorry to put it this way, but IMHO the ST1300 is just fugly!

Hi CODan,

Your history sounds almost identical to mine. I started looking to re-enter the motorcycle market again back in May and my searching ended up here (FJR forum).

I had a very hard time deciding between the two bikes that you are currently looking at, but the ultimate decision came between the 100mph shimmy issue in the ST and the altitude surging issue in the FJR 07. I ultimately decided with the FJR primarily because of this forum, and it has paid off since the surging issue in now officially behind us. I gambled on getting the surging fixed over the 100mph shimmy (which has no fix, as far as I know). The biggest reason in my mind was that my commute every day includes 80mph stretches. That was simply too close to 100 mph for me, and considering that I was re-entering motorcycle riding after several years off, I didn't want to worry about finding a resonance freq when I wasn't ready for it.

Anyway, looking where I came from and where I am now, I would say I made a lucky decision at best based on what I knew then. But it still seems to be the best for me. YMMV

BTW, I still haven't ridden an ST, for what that's worth, although I would like to simply for comparison's sake.

edited to add: Gawd my spelling suks... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
bottom line is that they are very close in most ways. I have been so pleased with the Yamaha factory support of the FJR in addition to my local Yamaha dealer in Roseville that the total ownership experience has been the best.

Pick up the most recent motorcycle magazine that compares the ST, FJR, R1200RT, Concours 14.

They rate the Connie at the top, if you want to take a chance on a 1st or second year released bike, go for it :) Compare that to the FJR that has had two major generations and a lot of effective fine tuning over the last 8 years with growing aftermarket and factory support.

Check out the quality of this forum, of the regional events, of the people here.

Check out the windshield posts. Most people find a good solution for them. Mine is a bit strange...a Cee Baileys +5 inch height and +1 inch width. Most people seem to go +2 or +3 on width and I think that extra width creates more buffeting...but heck...I'm just me and everyone has different tastes.

I think the total ownership experience of the FJR is incredible. I think you will too. Not only do I confidently state that it is clearly one of the best sport touring platforms in the world, and IMO the best ST platform in the world, I also confidently state that the community, factory and dealership network can also be big reasons to go with Yamaha too. Now, talk to people here before you go picking out dealers. You might get some good advice.

Good luck...by the way, North American FJR Owners Gathering is in Colorado next year :)

on a scale of 1-10, 1 being a crotch rocket 10 being a full blown wing, i would give the FJR a 4 and the st a 6. I have an 07 FJR, buddy of mine i ride with has an 05 st1300. The st feels a little more on the touring side, while the fjr has more of a sport bike feel. The st almost sounds like something from the jetsons, i think it is from gear driven cams or something. The FJR has alot more power. When we ride, we'll trade off bikes for a few miles to get a different ride. st puts out alot of heat, but FJR heating issues have been fixed. They are both comfortable to ride all day, on long trips. definitely listen to a st before you buy one.

Dan:

I owned an '03 ST130A for three years which I sold to buy an '06 FJR1300A. The Honda was just uncomfortable due to engine heat anytime the temperature was over 75 - 80 degrees. It is the primary reason I sold the bike. It has better weather protection, larger bags and engine vibration control was superior to the FJR. However the FJR is quicker. lighter, runs on regular and I think it looks better too. I had the clutch problem on the FJR but that seems to have been fixed. The Honda was in the shop for eight weeks while they figured out a rear brake lock up issue. Honda ignores/denies that design problems exist. Yamaha seems to be more responsive to it's customers. I would buy another Honda if they fix the heat management issues. Until then the FJR is a great ride. Good luck with your decision.

Dave

Dan,

I had an 06 ST1300 w/ ABS that I put on 9100 miles on before I bought my FJR in late May this year. My main thing with the Honda was the heat. When it was over 90 and especialy into 100 I dreaded commuting on the Honda. There is no comparison the Yamaha has worked the heat issue. Separately I found for me the FJR seat is more comfortable and I actually sit up more upright on the FJR also.

No question the Honda is not a dog of a bike at all, but it felt heavy and lumbering in some situations and was more difficult in pushing it around a parking lot spaces. The Yamaha I believe has a slight lower center of gravity and feels lighter (but actually by only 70 lbs) I believe. The price difference for a more comfortable bike also sells me. I definitely made the right decision for me but I have friends who have the Honda ST1300 and 1100 and they swear by them.

Separately I bought from Desert Valley Powersports in Washington who are very good in both sales and service. Our local Honda dealer is not of the same quality from a service standpoint. So in my particular situation the Yamaha service is more competent than our local Honda service.

Both are great bikes but for the price I would take the FJR (I would have saved a bunch avoiding the ST).

WRichStrom

I rode an 2003 ST1300 for three years before buying a 2006 FJR. The FJR is the bike I wanted in the fall of 2002 but they were still not being sold in the USA at that time. I settled for the ST. Big mistake. I never could warm up to the looks of the ST. I hated the diesel clatter sound of the engine and the fact that it had virtually no exhaust note. While the ST13 handled infinitely better than the ST11 that I rode for five years previously, it was still top heavy, quite a load riding two up at slow speeds. Most importantly for me, the fun factor just wasn't there with the ST. The FJR (admittedly not perfect in stock form) looks great, sounds like a motorcycle should sound. It's a hundred pounds lighter than the ST and feels two hundred pounds lighter at slow speeds. The FJR's engine is much more responsive and powerful than the ST's although being and inline four it does vibrate a little. This is the bike I should have waited for in 2002.

Back in the spring of 06, I had the same delima. I wasn't able to test ride either the FJR or the ST. I sat on each bike and made my selection by how they both felt and looks of the two. My preference was obviously the FJR. I think the ST looks like a scooter on steroids, not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my preference. I also had read that the ST still had some heat issues and the new FJR had addressed their problems with the new design.

This year, while stopped at my dealer, a guy walked up to me and asked me how I liked my FJR. He had just test rode an ST. I handed him the keys and said see for yourself. He took it out for a test ride just after getting off the ST and came back saying hands down the FJR was better for him. Again, people are different. I would suggest that you find the closest Cycle World Bike Show and spend some time there.

Also, pick up, I believe, the October issue of Motorcyclist Magazine. They compare the C14, FJR, BMW, and ST. If I remember correctly, they finished in the order that I listed them (ST last). They had a hard time deciding between the C14 and FJR for first place though I know of at least one of the riders picking the FJR over the C14.

You can only make the right decision for you. As for air blocking, an aftermarket screen will take care of that for you. I personally like my Yamaha Touring Screen purchased for a mere $100. Obviously asking your question on an FJR forum will be biased. Pose that same question on the ST forum and you'll probably get props on the ST.

Good luck on your selection!

Boss has an ST and I have the FJR and we are to the point that it's a matter of flavor. He likes the wider (I say fatter) knee position of the ST and having the instruments higher. I prefer the more upright and sporty feel of the Feejer, plus I ride without the bags a lot and the ST looks horrible without them.

There's no answer other than try both and one will fit.

Bob

In a bit of a ush and not had time to read through the thread so appologies if I am repeating, but feel I need to reply before leaving the computer.

We are in the UK, we have had 2 excellent ST1100's and so the natural progression was the 1300. The thing that stopped us was the bad press it got over unprovoked high speed wobbles (90mph plus). This has killed 2 police officers and a civillian as well as causing other non-fatal crashes.

The British and Irish police force have dropped them now and have tried to take Honda to court over the matter. They have had them tested and could not prove conclusively that it was the bike that was at fault so dropped the case at the last minute. The remaining ST1300's in the police force have a blanket 80mph limit on them until they can be replaced.

You need to know about this before making a decision. This alone switched us to the FJR for which I am grateful.

Nobody has hit on the real reason not to buy an ST1300:

Have you seen one of those things with the bags off!!?? :sick:

It looks like a can of smashed assholes!