Houston to Salt Lake City

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you are having some of everything....great report and awesome pictures....

Ride safe...

Yolanda's response:

(imagine her using her best sportscaster voice...)

(Translated to English by me, Henry, the original Spanish text follows.)

The History of Henry Sr. motorcycle adventurer: Hello, this is Yolanda. Lets go straight to the story of this man and my opinions of his adventures. To start with, since I met this caption of aviation, it seemed that there was something very interesting inside of him. And its true, I was right, he is a crazy dreamer of dreams, dreams he makes come true. A while back, his passion was fish and aquariums. He would read everything he could about them and let me tell you he took such great care of them. He had 8 aquariums with the best fish that exist. Alas it was only temporary. Later, his attention turned to radio control airplanes. He would build them, paint and fly them without stopping and he was always discovering new designs for his planes. He had 8. I also have to tell you he is into video games, he also has hundreds of movies, and least I forget he is a good photographer. But what really made him crazy and was he ever excited over the thought of buying the "Great FJR". Oooohh, it was one of his best dreams that he made a reality. When the motorcycle came home, it was incredible, Henry couldn't sleep for riding it and for adding upgrades to it (farkles) and if that great motorcycle could speak she would tell you she is very happy to have such great upgrades and such a caring owner. And the trips began, the first was to San Antonio, Tx, and the trips came very often. And then guess what? A new family member arrived, exactly on February 14, a new motorcycle! LOL.

It was the KLR (650) and the adventures began with his buddies and so did the upgrades on that great motorcycle and so did the plans the make a long trip; Henry and his friends "El Chinito" (Kev), Mitch, Mikey and Juanito.

In the end it was Mikey, Juanito and my adored Henry. Finally, the big day arrived, the day Henry waited for. He was acting like a kid that just got a big present from Santa Clause. I saw him so excited and happy and I told him, "Henry, you are a mature man with the soul of a little kid", and the truth is that he will never stop being a kid. And the big day came, he got ready and started his Grand Trip. His dream was becoming reality, to go on his FJR, long distance. Starting in Houston, he gave a big hug to me and his beloved son Henry Jr. who certainly makes him so very happy. Finally, he mounts his motorcycle and disappears into thin air, you know what I mean, LOL.

From the very first day of the trip we would talk and he would tell me what was happening on his grand adventure, things so marvelous. Henry was seeing incredible places. He continued his trip with friends, taking great pictures, enjoying the company of his friends and the great outdoors. Every time he would call me to say hello to his son Henry Jr he would tell me new and marvelous things and that would make him happy and that made me hapy to know that he was enjoying himself so much, and yes, thats the daddy of my son Henry Jr. LOL.

And now I really like motorcycles and I understand why the majority of men want a motorcycle and buy motorcycles. Congratulations Henry Sr. for finishing your Grand Trip, and congratulations to all who dare to do it. I'm with you all, motorcycle adventurers, lets go, with gusto, crossing cities, states and countries on motorcycles, making dreams come true, its totally worthwhile!

Henry, I'm so proud of you dear! Never change, Love ya bye!

533008787_jPAL8-Th.jpg

==================================

Historia de Henry Sr, el aventurero de motos Hola escribe yolanda, bueno bamos directamente ala historia de este hombre, y mis opiniones sobre sus aventuras, para empesar desde que conosi a este piloto capitan de aviacion, me parecio que dentro de el avia algo interesante, y asi es, no me equiboque es un loco sonador con suenos que ace realidad, primero en un tiempo su pacion eran los peces leia se informaba su atencion estaba muy puesta en eso por un buen rato dejen me decirles que los cuidaba tan bien tuvo 8 acuarios con los mejore peces que existen, eso era una temporada luego cambbio su aficion por avioncitos de control remot estaba armandolos pintandolos bolandolos y no paraba cadavez descubria cosa y disenos deferentes para sus aviones de juguete y aviones tubo 8, y que ablar de su aficion de los video juegos y tambien cientos de peliculas,y no se me olavida que es un buen fotogrfo. Pero lo que lo volvio loco era lo siguiente que estaba pasando por su mente era tanta exitacion ahora en pensar comprar su gran moto FJR ooohh era uno de sus mejores suenos y lo iso realidad cuando la moto yego a casa era increible pare Henry no dormia por estar paseando en ella y estar aciendo tantos cambios en ella si esa rica moto ablara les diria que esta tan feliz de tener tantos buenos cambios, un dueno tan amoroso y empesaron los viajes en esa moto el primer fue a San Antonio Tx los viajes eran tan frecuentes, y no saben yego nueva familia exactamente 14 de febrero nuava moto jajaja KLR y empesaron las aventuras con amigos y acer tantos cambios en esa rica moto tambien y los planes de acer un largo viaje empeso Henry y los amigos "el Chinito" (Kev), Mitch, Mikey y Juanito bues al fin solo fue Mikey, Juanito y mi adorado Henry y alfin yego el gran dia tan esperado por Henry jajaja estaba reaccionando como un nino cuando recibe un gran juguete de santa claus en navidad yo lo vi tan emocionado y tan contento y yo le digo Henry eres un senor grande con un alma de nino chiuitin y esa es su berdad no dejara de ser siempre nino, y yego el amanecer se preparo y emprendio el gran viaje y su sueno lo estaba aciendo realidad ir en su moto FJR en larga distancia empesando de Houston nos dio un fuerte abrazo ami y a su adorado hijito Henry Jr que porcierto el lo ace tan feliz, y alfin se monto en su moto y se esfumo saben loque quiero decir berdad, jajaja, y desde el primer dia nos comunicamos y me informaba de todo lo que ocurria en esa gran aventura cosas tan maravillosas Henry estaba conocoendo lugares maravillosos y continuava el viaje con sus amigos, tomando gran fotos y disfrutando de la compania de ellos us amigos y de tan gran naturaleza, cada ves que el me marcaba para saludar a su hijito Henry Jr me contaba nuevas cosas maravillosas, eso lo ponia muy feliz y ami me acia feliz de saber que el estaba disfrutando tanto, ese es el papi de mi hijito Henry Jr jejeje, y ahora asta ami me gustan tanto las motos y ya entiendo porque la mayoria de los hombres quieren una moto, bamos comprando motosss, "Felicidades" Henry Sr por acer este gran viaje, y felicidades a todos que se atreben aserlo estoy con ustedes aventureros de motos bamos con ganas crusando pueblos, estados, paises en motos, acer los suenos realidad, bale tanto la pena, Henry yo Yolanda estoy muy orguyosa de ti carino sigue asi te quiero bye.

A Tribute to Yolanda.=====================================

Thoughts about what we leave behind.

In reading many ride reports, I've discovered that many reports aren't just about what we see ahead, but what we leave behind. Some leave behind nothing, abandoning everything, choosing a life on the road and living their dreams. For others, it's about coming home. Thats me.

So, on Mother's Day, a tribute to Yolanda.

This is a typical phone conversation during my two-week ride. She's at home, alone with our 2-month old son. (Imagine us speaking in Spanish, she's from Mexico City)

======================================

Me: Hi Yoli! Whatcha doing!

Yoli: Hi Amor, we miss you! How is your trip? Are you ok?

Me: I'm doing great, a llittle tired but having the time of my life... (insert ride report details).... and how is the baby?

Yoli: He's doing great, misses his Daddy, he was a good boy today, we went grocery shopping and all the ladies in the store stopped to tell me how beautiful he is and what a sweet boy he is. It was so sweet hearing their comments.

Me: Wow, sounds wonderful. I sure do miss you guys. And how are you?

Yoli: Well, today I got a little bored, so I turned into a tornado and did a gigantic spring cleaning. I changed a few things in the house and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get home. Afterwards, one of my girlfriends came over with her baby and we watched movies. Have you decided when you are turning back for home?

Me: Thanks for taking care of the house, can't wait to see what you did. As for the trip, I haven't yet decided when I'm coming home. I'm probably gonna get to Salt Lake City, ride with Mike then head home. I'm thinking San Fran is out of the question, it's gonna make my trip about 4-5 days longer and I want to get home.

Yoli: Well don't worry about us, we're ok, we just miss you. Go to California if you like and live your dreams. We'll be waiting for you when you get home.

Thank you, Yolanda, for helping me make my dreams come true. :clapping:

Gear Report: Camera Equipment

547905164_d9Y38-L.jpg

Canon Powershot S5-IS

Raynox 0.66x Wide Angle Conversion Lens

Lensmate 52mm lens adapter

Joby Gorillapod Tripod https://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/original/

The Canon S5-IS is a top-of-the line Canon point and shoot digital camera, one step below their digital SLR line. This model has since been superseded by the SX1-IS and SX10-IS cameras.

Basic features are:

* 8 mega pixels (not the most important spec for any camera, the photographer's skills and the quality of the lens are far more important)

* Lens: Image Stabilized, 12x Optical Zoom Lens: • 36 - 432 mm equiv, F2.7 - F3.5 (max), 11 elements in 9 groups (1 aspherical element, 1 UD element)

* Digic 3 Processor

* Neato tilt and swivel LCD screen

* Great video mode, no need to carry a video camera

I'd like to give you my impressions of this camera, however, I'm not going to go into the tiny details, for more info see https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/

I have been very pleased by the performance and quality of this camera. The pictures it shoots are sharp and clear (image stabilization helps a lot), with great, accurate colors. The lens has a lot to do with it as it is big enough to let a lot of light in, plus it has the stabilization feature which helps make all your photos sharper, especially in low light.

One complaint I have is that I wished the lens was wider angle. It has a great telephoto range, the equivalent of 434mm if you were using a 35mm camera. However, it's widest angle is 36mm, which in the 35mm camera world isn't really considered wide. My solution was the Raynox 0.66x wide angle adapter, which gave me the equivalent of about a 24mm lens. The Raynox did a decent job however it has a lot of distortion in the corners but good sharpness across the center. Look closely in a lot of the scenic images and you'll see what I am talking about.

Here you see the Raynox wide angle lens attached with the Lensmate adapter.

547905003_2jsPp-L.jpg

I've subjected this poor camera to vibration, heat, cold, rain, fog, snow and sleet. I shot while riding and driving. It has been on countless trips. And then it broke. Yep. On the way home, after about 4,300 pics and two years use, the SD card lock sensor bent. Every time I tried to shoot, the camera would say that the card was locked. So, no pictures from Albuquerque to San Antonio. Once I got to San Antonio, I took a paper clip, reached into the memory card compartment and wiggled around where the card lock sensor is. After a couple of tries, violla! The camera worked again.

So what do you think? Is this failure acceptable in light of how I have used and abused this camera? I think it is.

Tips:

* To get really bright, saturated colors when shooting landscapes, use the vivid color mode. It won't work in the fully auto shooting modes, you'll have to select a semi-manual shooting mode. Canon selectively increases saturation on certain colors, it is a custom mix... and I like it. Turn it off when taking people shots or their faces will be a bit too red.

* I never used any ISO ratings above 100. If you use 100 and below, the images will look more like they came from a much bigger, more expensive camera.

* Read up on the internet, or get a good book on photography. Photo composition is key, learn how to compose and frame your pictures and the quality of your camera won't matter much. Study professional photos. And practice.

Pros:

* Sharp, image stabilized lens, works great in low light

* Rich, saturated colors

* Great ergonomics

* Great tilt/swivel/reversable LCD screen

* Clear and smooth video mode

* Good build quality

* Awesome macro mode

* Nice auto shooting modes and full manual control

Cons:

* The SD card slot is in the bottom in the battery compartment and it is impossible to change the SD card while using a tripod.

* Doesn't include rechargeable battery (I bought some great NiMH batteries and never got less than 300 shots per charge)

* I had my problem with the SD card lock sensor. To be fair, this was after 2 years, over 4,300 pictures, over 4,000 miles riding unprotected in a tank bag on many trips, many airline trips, exposure to vibration, sun, rain, fog, sleet, snow. (it isn't waterproof nor water-resistant).

* I wished the lens was wider angle, it is only 36mm (in 35mm camera lens equivalent). 24mm would be far more useful, and hence I brought along my Raynox wide angle conversion lens

* Very grainy images at anything above ISO-100. I don't use anything above 200.

Accessories:

I used a Lensmate adapter. Its just a hollow aluminum tube that connects to the lens mount on the camera. It has threads on the end that allow you to use screw-in filters and lens adapters. It also protects the part of the lens that extends from the body. Good quality gear and well worth it.

The Lensmate allows you to attach threaded 52mm (comes in other sizes too) lens adapters. You can get telephoto, wide angle and macro adapters. I used the Raynox wide angle adapter, another piece of gear I was impressed with.

The Gorilapod is a great flexible tripod. Lightweight and strong, you can bend it around anything and it will stay put and hold your camera. I didn't use it much, but for the few shots I needed it--it was invaluable. Easily packed, easy to use. Great build quality.

547905334_niCAr-M.jpg

I also took 8 NiMH batteries with me and only changed batteries twice. Not bad in shooting over 900 pics and a few videos. Also took a lightweight, compact battery charger.

I edit and process my photos on a Mac using iPhoto and Aperture. Most of the photos you've seen have had minimal corrections and some are originals, straight from the camera.

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions about the pictures or products I used.

Sample photos:

Good detail, wide span of light levels.

419599989_vfnav-L-1.jpg

Great exposure, good skin tones on this difficult to shoot back-lit image.

419561419_6FJM9-L-1.jpg

For more from this ride in central Texas, see:

https://hecpilot.smugmug.com/gallery/658689...419538038_SKcnX

Last edited by a moderator:
Great trip report and pics! I am gearing up for a trip from Chicago to Nova Scotia. Leaving June 13th. 8 or 9 days.

Just received my new TourMaster Transition jacket, which I see you have. And I'm trying to finalize my decision re: a heated vest, which is how I stumbled across your trip report.

Trying to decide between the synergy and others. And also trying to decide whether I want or don't want a heated collar.

Pretty certain I'm going to opt not to get the sleeves, though curious if you have an opinion on that too.

Thanks,

If you are ever going through NM again give me a hollar, ill give you some alternate routes that are a lot of fun to ride.

Thanks Philip, I'll be sure to save your screen name and let you know. It would be great to see more of your state.

And please let me know if you ever come towards Texas. There is some great riding, both in central and east Texas.

Henry

If you are ever going through NM again give me a hollar, ill give you some alternate routes that are a lot of fun to ride.

Thanks Doc, I'll pass the word to her.

I'm not sure how much of this trip was her "letting" me go... and how much it was sheer determination for me... either way, without her support, especially with a 2-month old son at home, it would have never happened. So I'm eternally grateful to her.

Enjoy the report...

Great ride report and pictures. I'm jealous. Kudos to your wife for letting you have your adventure.

Hey Steve, thanks for the compliment. It sounds like your trip will be incredible! Please keep us posted, and take a lot of pictures.

I'm a big fan of my Synergy jacket, and one of the biggest reasons is the included temperature controller. It is fully electronic and doesn't waste electricity with a big resistor. The technology is the same as the Heatroller (which I have for the grips on my KLR). So that was one less thing to buy and wire up.

How cold are the temps you will be facing? The coldest I rode was 30F/-1C and my jacket liner was great at those temps, and only a few times did I raise the temp from low to medium. I really appreciated the heated sleeves, made me much, much more comfy. And the heated collar was a blessing, you may not realize how cold your neck gets until you warm it up. And in my case, on my 30 degree day, I started to have neck cramps, right at the base where it meets the shoulder. The heat from my collar made my neck feel so much better. Keep in mind if you get too warm, you can always open your collar to vent some air in, or fold the collar down to get it off your neck.

The Synergy is also insulated, so it will keep you warm even without turning on the heat.

I'll be doing a gear report on the Synergy electric jacket liner soon.

I've been to Nova Scotia, and I know it can be very cold and wet. I would advise being prepared for colder weather than expecting... then again, I'm from Texas, and being cold isn't much fun for me.

Let us know what you decide on...

Henry

Great trip report and pics! I am gearing up for a trip from Chicago to Nova Scotia. Leaving June 13th. 8 or 9 days.
Just received my new TourMaster Transition jacket, which I see you have. And I'm trying to finalize my decision re: a heated vest, which is how I stumbled across your trip report.

Trying to decide between the synergy and others. And also trying to decide whether I want or don't want a heated collar.

Pretty certain I'm going to opt not to get the sleeves, though curious if you have an opinion on that too.

Thanks,

Thanks for the input. So in your case, you clearly recommend the full jacket vs just collared vest. Got it.

I just tried on my new Transition jacket with, and then without, the liner. I'm trying to get a sense of how cramped it would be if I leave it's liner in AND then put on the vest or the jacket. Since you bought the full sleeved heated jacket / liner, I'm guessing you have removed the liner that came with the Transition jacket and either use the Transition jacket without any liner. OR, us it with the heated full sleeved liner. Correct?

Re: temperatures --- I did a trip like this last summer to British Columbia. On cool mornings it was mid 30's and would then warm up through the course of the day. For Nova Scotia, in mid June the forecasts show mid 50's to mid 60's, but being on the ocean it could be a cold 50's to 60's, which is what prompted me to finally look at heated vests.

For me, it's coming down to whether I prefer to leave the Transition liner in and add a sleeveless heated vest (you sold me on the collar!). Or, ditch the Transition liner and go with the full sleeved heated liner. I know my arms would be too cold if I yanked the Transition liner and just had a sleeveless heated vest. But I'd worry that a full sleeved heated liner AND the Transition liner would be too bulky or tight.

Really appreciate your input since you've done it.

Thanks!

Hey Steve, thanks for the compliment. It sounds like your trip will be incredible! Please keep us posted, and take a lot of pictures.
I'm a big fan of my Synergy jacket, and one of the biggest reasons is the included temperature controller. It is fully electronic and doesn't waste electricity with a big resistor. The technology is the same as the Heatroller (which I have for the grips on my KLR). So that was one less thing to buy and wire up.

How cold are the temps you will be facing? The coldest I rode was 30F/-1C and my jacket liner was great at those temps, and only a few times did I raise the temp from low to medium. I really appreciated the heated sleeves, made me much, much more comfy. And the heated collar was a blessing, you may not realize how cold your neck gets until you warm it up. And in my case, on my 30 degree day, I started to have neck cramps, right at the base where it meets the shoulder. The heat from my collar made my neck feel so much better. Keep in mind if you get too warm, you can always open your collar to vent some air in, or fold the collar down to get it off your neck.

The Synergy is also insulated, so it will keep you warm even without turning on the heat.

I've been to Nova Scotia, and I know it can be very cold and wet. I would advise being prepared for colder weather than expecting... then again, I'm from Texas, and being cold isn't much fun for me.

Henry

Thanks,

Steve, even though I took the Transition jacket liner with me, I never used it. It was a back-up in case the electric jacket failed, or I got stranded with a broken-down bike in the cold. You can't take any chances with cold.

So for me, this is how I used the jacket and electric liner:

Warm to cool - Transition jacket, all vents open, with either a short or long sleeve t-shirt underneath, or maybe a t-shirt and a polo shirt.

Getting cooler - close two vents on the Transition jacket

Still cooler - close all vents on jacket and cinch up the collar

Cooler getting cold - put on the electric liner, not turned on yet...

Really cool to cold - turn on the liner

Cold - zip up everything tight, turn the liner on low (medium a couple of times)

Torso-wise, I was never cold with the Synergy jacket, whether just underneath the riding jacket and off, or turned on and generating heat.

Keep in mind you want the electric liner to be a bit snug. The Synergy has stretchable panels on the side so even if it is snug you will still be able to move and be comfortable.

The Transition jacket, with all vents closed, is actually fairly warm. It is thick and heavy, plus, being a 3/4 jacket, has great coverage of your lower torso. It effectively blocks all the wind trying to get to you.

I read recently that Nova Scotia has the worst weather in all of Canada. Makes sense when you consider the effects of the North Atlantic. I've seen some doozies in Halifax and areas nearby.

Best of luck and please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Thanks for the input. So in your case, you clearly recommend the full jacket vs just collared vest. Got it.
I just tried on my new Transition jacket with, and then without, the liner. I'm trying to get a sense of how cramped it would be if I leave it's liner in AND then put on the vest or the jacket. Since you bought the full sleeved heated jacket / liner, I'm guessing you have removed the liner that came with the Transition jacket and either use the Transition jacket without any liner. OR, us it with the heated full sleeved liner. Correct?

Re: temperatures --- I did a trip like this last summer to British Columbia. On cool mornings it was mid 30's and would then warm up through the course of the day. For Nova Scotia, in mid June the forecasts show mid 50's to mid 60's, but being on the ocean it could be a cold 50's to 60's, which is what prompted me to finally look at heated vests.

For me, it's coming down to whether I prefer to leave the Transition liner in and add a sleeveless heated vest (you sold me on the collar!). Or, ditch the Transition liner and go with the full sleeved heated liner. I know my arms would be too cold if I yanked the Transition liner and just had a sleeveless heated vest. But I'd worry that a full sleeved heated liner AND the Transition liner would be too bulky or tight.

Thanks!

Henry

Thanks,

Excellent feedback and help, Henry. Thanks!

Steve, even though I took the Transition jacket liner with me, I never used it. It was a back-up in case the electric jacket failed, or I got stranded with a broken-down bike in the cold. You can't take any chances with cold.
So for me, this is how I used the jacket and electric liner:

Warm to cool - Transition jacket, all vents open, with either a short or long sleeve t-shirt underneath, or maybe a t-shirt and a polo shirt.

Getting cooler - close two vents on the Transition jacket

Still cooler - close all vents on jacket and cinch up the collar

Cooler getting cold - put on the electric liner, not turned on yet...

Really cool to cold - turn on the liner

Cold - zip up everything tight, turn the liner on low (medium a couple of times)

Torso-wise, I was never cold with the Synergy jacket, whether just underneath the riding jacket and off, or turned on and generating heat.

Keep in mind you want the electric liner to be a bit snug. The Synergy has stretchable panels on the side so even if it is snug you will still be able to move and be comfortable.

The Transition jacket, with all vents closed, is actually fairly warm. It is thick and heavy, plus, being a 3/4 jacket, has great coverage of your lower torso. It effectively blocks all the wind trying to get to you.

I read recently that Nova Scotia has the worst weather in all of Canada. Makes sense when you consider the effects of the North Atlantic. I've seen some doozies in Halifax and areas nearby.

Best of luck and please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Thanks!

Henry

Thanks,

Day 9 Moab, UT to Arches National Park to Cortez, CO (part 1)

Route: Hwy 191 to Arches National Park, to Moab, continuing on 191S to Monticello, UT to 491S to Cortez, Colorado.

548258335_RAbyE-L.jpg

Distance: 190 miles, about 8:15 driving time, basically all day on the bike.

Weather: Spectacular, no clouds. Temps from the high 70's to the high 60's. We have left the snow and cold behind.

The plan for the day was to visit Arches National Park in the late morning, have lunch, possibly hit another national park, then drive to Cortez, Colorado for the night.

The day dawned absolutely gorgeous! Blue skies, perfect temps, low humidity, perfect for a ride. We did our usual, roll out of bed at around 9:00, eat a little breakfast, chat for a bit, gas up and go. On a personal note, I was still a bit homesick but happy to be heading for home. Listening to my baby son giggle over the phone was really pulling on the heartstrings. I was also really looking forward to some riding, alone with my thoughts, listening to some great classic rock.

Don't all trips start at the gas pump? The Moab area is FULL, let me repeat, FULL of mountain bikes, RV's, dirt bikes, ATV's, tourists, you name it. I think it is the country's premier off road vacation spot.

548296334_9nFF3-L.jpg

Once we entered Arches National Park, we rode the whole thing first, scouting photo sites. Then rode back towards the entrance, taking pics as we went. I think I shot over 300 that day. Arches ended up being one of my favorite destinations of the trip and for me, rivaled the Grand Canyon.

Our first stop. It was only a bit crowded. Could you imagine being here in the middle of summer vacation season?

548296540_HD9Xi-L.jpg

The scale of Arches is gigantic. This formation was mid-sized. See the people on the right?

548297698_u3d6x-L.jpg

Back on the bike.

548299098_Vncpz-L-1.jpg

Skyline Arch

548300943_Cddig-L.jpg

548300602_fh3V9-L.jpg

Two brothers, one arch.

548302057_5NpZu-L.jpg

Tree bark, twisted by the wind.

548302909_zxyT9-L.jpg

Flora of the area.

548303140_ekHie-L.jpg

The road, like the vistas, was spectacular. Lots of curves, nice and smooth. Couldn't go too fast, but why would you want to?

548304294_28DpL-L.jpg

Kiki, our mascot, dutifully standing guard.

548305058_bicx2-L.jpg

These formations were easily 100ft/30m high.

548306261_NZchj-L.jpg

Watch out for cryptobiotic crust. It's alive. Seriously. Remember, take nothing, leaving nothing but your footprints. Just be careful with the creatures underfoot.

548306767_eLSUg-L.jpg

The sand here was very fine, almost like talcum powder. It was my first time experiencing such fine sand.

548307094_8eh9V-L.jpg

Leaving nothing but our footprints.

548307398_Kbmj3-L.jpg

Maybe I was a geologist in a prior life. I'm really enjoying myself.

548308790_s8VVb-L.jpg

Mountains in the distance.

548309166_5EW5M-L.jpg

One of a group of motorcyclists passing by.

548309791_jv3Kc-L.jpg

Something beautiful to see around every bend.

548310925_2e7u8-L.jpg

I had to remind myself to keep my eyes on the road, especially after the turns because the world just kept opening up to me.

548311880_f4t39-L.jpg

One of the trails. The best way to see Arches is hiking. In fact, many arches are not visible from the road. For us, hiking in bike gear was not an option. So, next time, I'm bringing my hiking boots.

548312567_VnERL-L.jpg

... to be continued, keep watching for the next update with more photos of Arches National Park.

Day 9 Moab, UT to Arches National Park to Cortez, CO (part 2)

We left you in part 1 at Arches National Park, close to Moab, Utah. The plan for today is to ride Arches, take a jillion pictures, go back to the trailer, load up and head for Cortez, Colorado... Continuing on in Arches National Park....

Another trail head and scenic lookout. Extra points for finding me in the picture.

548313698_rgoiS-L.jpg

Man and machine. The 'Wing is an impressive machine. I didn't like them much till I rode one.

548314002_x9zNq-L.jpg

548314961_irQHz-L.jpg

I called these the "organic" rocks. Look for the curved/rounded ones in the upper part of the picture.

548315996_xiQxU-L.jpg

Another great day!

548316248_ZkJK8-L.jpg

2:49 in the afternoon and 66F/19C, doesn't get much better than this. (yes I'm going slow for 4th, I had decelled as I took the picture with my right hand).

548316827_cZzXT-L.jpg

Plenty of cyclists out there, keep a sharp eye out. Good for them, enjoying the day and getting a workout in a gorgeous locale.

548317085_LEYKZ-L.jpg

Time for a dual-sport. Where is my KLR when I need it.

548317396_yAVFX-L.jpg

Cleated shoes didn't stop these cyclists.

548317684_c7LXg-L.jpg

Come around a curve, then WOW. Another dramatic vista. For scale, look for the Gold Wing in the picture.

548318360_5tJw8-L.jpg

548319829_7ESZC-L.jpg

Tourist added strictly for scale effect. Uh huh.

548319617_hngDY-L.jpg

548320604_RDjoS-L.jpg

548320846_warzA-L.jpg

See what I mean? Watch the road too!

548321526_9WftB-M.jpg

548321789_kzKF9-M.jpg

548322108_NwkYz-M.jpg

The Windows... awe inspiring.

548322923_PbG3T-L.jpg

See the guy standing in the "window"?

548322574_vAxjV-L.jpg

Getting closer to the park entrance. I thought the better views were at the beginning. Our photos run kinda in reverse. We started shooting at the rear and made our way towards the entrance and visitor's center.

548323472_HNZcv-L.jpg

This is called Double Arch.

548323805_qdkat-L.jpg

Balanced rock: 128 feet/39 meters

548325261_BQJH7-L.jpg

548325024_JJCmM-L.jpg

One of these days I'll get a handlebar mount for the camera.

548326180_KuBUk-L.jpg

548326599_f6LWN-L.jpg

Another TA-DAH moment.

548326843_MXq9R-L.jpg

The nicest curves, located by the visitor's center.

548327823_eWv6w-L.jpg

I couldn't get enough of this cliff face. Dramatic colors.

548328337_TMBHn-L-1.jpg

548328906_ieEAz-L.jpg

On a rented Wing.

548329120_W7VgF-L.jpg

Heading to Moab

548329312_Vz2r9-L.jpg

Downtown Moab. Picturesque. No?

548329538_ejcHh-L.jpg

How did a tourist trap like Hole in the Rock get permission to deface the rock formation?

548329721_PnGsu-L.jpg

Heading out to Cortez, Colorado.

548329909_CHhXx-L.jpg

We got to Cortez after dark, set up the camper in the parking lot of the local Super Wal-Mart, went shopping, had a great dinner and hit the sack. Tomorrow would be the return to Albuquerque for Juanito, a quick stop at 4-corners, and the end of my ride with friends. After tomorrow, back on the road alone. I was looking forward to it. And not.