How about a saftey tip from each member?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when teaching my daughter to drive I did this - and it isn't a bad thing to do once in awhile yourself.

Talk about what you look for when you are driving or riding. About seeing a dog run across the street (probably a kid chasing him) or ball crossing the road. about paying attention to the direction of the power lines when approaching a blind hill that might be hiding a bend in the road. about scanning your mirrors all the time and anticipating the person with a phone between their ear and shoulder who will NOT drop the phone to do a mirror or head check before changing lanes.... etc. etc.

all the things that (someone said.. "spidey sense") raises the hair on your neck and gives you a clue as to what might transpire.

But ALWAYS leave yourself an OUT.

MINDSETSet your brain in gear for a ride, and keep it in gear during the ride.
This is probably the most basic precaution. Nothing else will be right if you are not "all there" while riding.

I don't ride under the influence of: alchohol, drugs, anger, stress, or fatigue. When I am working nights, (6:00 PM to 6 AM), I usually don't ride much on days off. I don't feel 100%. Since I started riding, I have pulled over many times after finding myself not paying full attention. I will re-group, give myself a good talking to, and try again.

John

Avoid riding between cars and "gore" points on the highway (believe it or not traffic engineers call them gore points). Gore points are locations where freeways split, freeway off-ramps begin and/or where freeway on-ramps end. These are the most common places on the highways where cagers suddenly realize they are in the wrong lane for where they wish to go and make abrupt turning maneuvers and multiple lane changes that are very difficult to react to.

The Smith System--- 5 Keys to Defensive Driving.

Aim high in steering

Get the big picture

Keep your eyes moving

Leave yourself an out

Make sure they see you.

To make sure that the driver sees you,
And then know that even if you think that you are looking directly into each other's eyes, HE DOES NOT SEE YOU!

If you are riding in a group, especially on winding roads, don't "follow" the rider in front of you, keep your concentration on the road itself. If you are watching the rider in front of you and he goes off the road, guess where you are going to go?

Here is an excellent example of what the previous post was talking about. Watch and learn and ignore the idiotic comments of the people in the van. www.twistedlimit.com Click on the link"harley goes over the cliff"

Use the horn, particularly when some cage is waiting to enter your road from a side road.

Consider installing a headlight modulator.

When you come to a stop, brain gets 100% into gear, you look to where your feet are going to be touching.

Drivers give unintentional indicators of their intentions. Learning to read the signs from people's movements inside their vehicle can help you learn the circumstances earlier than if you wait to see a movement of the vehicle. This has several caveats that I am sure people will list ;)

A couple that haven't been mentioned:

In an emergency think outside the lines. Riding off the road into a hedge or onto a sidewalk is better than hitting two tons of steel. When thinking of escape routes as you ride (you should be) it is allowed to consider outside the white lines.

Leave your ego somewhere else. If somebody has a tip that has scientific truth or a tip based on many years experience, consider it. If a cager has to be right and take your lane, give it up and move on. Attitude kills. Get pissed afterward.

And speaking of peeing, it is safe to pee on an electric fence or even a third rail. The stream is actually a series of water droplets and there is no unbroken stream for the electric current to follow. Mythbusters did a show on it.

Never EVER cook bacon naked :blink: :dribble: and I speak from experience.

Absolutely take advantage of every course or learning opportunity you can. It might save your life. I've already learned a couple things reading this thread. I'm going to put a picture of my kids on my speedo now...

Ride your own ride, do not try to keep up with more experienced riders, especially in the twisties. Ride within your personal limits.

Consider installing a headlight modulator.
true. Studies have shown that the human eye (and brain) has trouble seeing an object that comes directly at it. Something like a car waiting to turn out on to a road and a motorcycle coming down that road. The eye/brain sees the motorcycle, but many times "stops" seeing it. These studies have shown that if there is some change in the oncoming object, the eye/brain isn't affected as much. Having two bikes riding near each other and their inherent movement relative to each other, modulation in the light intensity, color, whatever; qualifies as an aid to the human weakness of seeing something coming directly at it.

A recent article on Dan Gurney in a cycle rag had a few words of wisdom...."Don't get involved" (with cagers). keep safe!

Dress for the crash, not the ride!
+1 !!!! ATGATT -- All the Gear All The Time.

All the other tips are great. But if you ride enough miles then eventually you will crash. Dont skip it when your out on an SS1000 or a ride around to the corner store. Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Motorcyle Jacket and Pants: All the time. 'Nuff Said

- Colin

I would like to second the comment regarding staying in the tire line of the car in front. You can't see what is in the road in front of the car. Several weeks ago, I ran over a pitchfork going 60 mph. I was on a two lane highway with cars to the left, gravel to the right and a car on my ass. The pitchfork was horizontal to the road. I came out unscathed, but if I was where I should have been it would have been a small adjustment.

I'll add an additional comment to lane placement - be as visible to oncoming traffic as you can so nobody thinks there's a gap in traffic and turns left in a hurry. I now leave a bigger gap in front of me or I get in front; whatever is best and the most safe at the time.

Stay safe,

Steve

On highways try to avoid the far right lane until you need it for exiting. Likewise when entering, go for the far left lane as soon as its safe. Temporarily yield the lane to faster traffic before they get to you although there shouldn't be any if you're on your FJR ! :p

Be aware of and stay out of other drivers blind spots. Don't hang alongside or directly behind 18 wheelers unless you like getting squeezed out or dodging thrown recaps with little or no warning.

And a hearty amen to the electric fence thing !
Sorry - but I completely disagree with this. You should use the outside lane (Left for the USA, right for the UK) only when overtaking and move back to the nearside afterwards.

Alan
In the UK, using the far lane for passing only is how most people obey the highway code, but in the US where undertaking on 6+ lane freeways is the norm for most drivers without even looking before the maneuver, the far lane is a much safer option.
aHH, in that case, I retract my statement.