How about a saftey tip from each member?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow theres some really good tips here!

A few more that I like PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!

1. Braking - Get with a friend and set up an area on a lone road, pick a spot (mail box, telephone pole, or whatever) pick a speed (60, 70, or whatever) see who can stop the quickest whan you get to the predetermined spot.

2. Learn how to stand and ride, (I learned how to do this from years of riding enduros). This will help if you ever have to hit somthing in the road or if you need to leave the road and hit the ditch or whatever. To do this quickly you must always be in a assertive postion on the bike. Stand up an squeeze the bike between your legs, use your legs as extra shock absorbers.

don't try u-turning on an incline in a 2-lane road. it's tough. (unless you've made an effort to practice this particular maneuver.

and if 2-up, there's a good chance it won't work. it didn't for me anyway.....

Mental prep...be ready to ride before mounting!

Practice...life saving ones [looking, avoiding & braking] first,

...life saving ones [looking, avoiding & braking] second,

...riding ones third!

Demonstrate...your love to the those dear to you!

Repeat offen.

Colin, good call. A month after owning my SV I had to make a 180 on an inclined road. I didn't have enough momentum and fell over the long way. I'll tell you what, a fall farther than 90 degs REALLY hurts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try your best to position yourself so you always have an out (moving and stopped). Run through "what if" scenarios in your mind. What if this guy on my left starts into my lane, etc.

Anticipate, anticipate, and then anticipate.

one that was taught to me when in a boating safety class - that pertains well to motorcycling (and most anything else).

There is Right

and

There is Dead Right.

just because you have the right of way or the right to do something doesn't mean that some 2 ton cage can't and wont exercise their ability to ignore you and your right of way.

...and one thing my flight instructor told me - before you try something questionable, ask yourself, "Is this worth dying for?"

A couple... Cover the brakes and clutch, and scrub off a little speed when approaching an intersection with someone waiting to pull out (from one of Hough's books). Also, on a 2-lane road with an oncoming large/slow vehicle, move to the right third of the lane so the guy waiting to pass said slow vehicle can see you better.

2 fingers on the brakes all the time , when on the hwy and slowing down hit your brakes a couple of time so the cagers behind has a idea yoyu are slowing down as we all know we dont need to hit the brakes to slow down .

In the "general safety" category so that you and your bike survive to ride:

Always have fire extenguishers in the garage/workshop/etc. LOTS of them. Mounted properly on the wall, checked for charge occasionally and free of clutter and hanging debris. If you work on motorcycles or cars or anything long enough you are liable to set something on fire and having a fire extenguisher handy can be a garage/house/life saver.

While riding:

Never initiate a turn into an intersection too soon. This is a frequently taught item in most driving schools and is referred to as "early apexing" on the track but never seems applied to street lessons. It applies to motorcycles quite frequently on the street, though. As you roll into an intersection that you plan on turning the natural inclination is to start drifting toward the direction of the turn and then cutting the corner short so to speak. This can cause REAL problems if the corner is sharper than you thought or if there is not as much room in the lane to turn into past the intersection (parked car, narrow lane, etc.) or a car suddenly pokes its snout into the intersection causing you to straighten momentarily to miss it. Now you are faced with clearing the obstacle and THEN making a seriously sharp turn to stay on the road. I have personally witnessed several bike accidents caused by this:

Stay in your lane until well into the intersection, to the point that you can see down the lane you are turning into.

Claim your space in the lane you are in, don't anticipate space to finish the turn in the lane you are going into.

Square off the turn in the middle of the intersection by countersteering forceably so that you are entering the lane aimed in the direction you want to go.

If you are making a right hand turn, no one says you have to drift to the right side of the lane to "setup" for the turn. Stay to the left, use the space to clear the corner and then initiate the turn.

Doing this correctly requires you to slow down at the initial part of the turn, get the bike pointed and then accelerate thru the turn as you are straightened out....much like the road race courses teach you in driving school.

This same sort of situation gets many people into trouble entering a main road from a side street stop sign. They pull past the stop sign, get on the throttle and then start turning to stay in the lane. That is why you often see them run wide and into the opposing lane. Roll thru, make the turn and then accelerate. Seems simple but watch people ride and you will see it done wrong quite frequently.

Countersteering practice:

Find a vacant back road and practice running down the middle of the road and weave the dashed lines on the highway USING ONLY THE INPUT TO THE HANDLEBARS. Start slow and speed up. You will be amazed at how fast you can whip thru the lines with countersteering practice as you learn to force the bike back and forth with the bars. You'll be amazed at how hard you can yank the bars to miss an obstical without falling. Obviously....expert rider/closed course, use at your own descretion, has been known to cause serious injury, etc.....

Last edited by a moderator:
The one I remeber best from one of David Hough's book is never outride your line of sight. You should always be able to stop in the amount of roadway you can see in front of you.

Oh, and never use your front brake when going downhill on a wet, slippery surface. It can cause your front tire to tuck and over you go. Don't ask me how I learned that one :(

The only tip I have is one I always think of in any emergency situation and that is... DON'T PANIC. Keep your wits about you and rely on your skills...and hopefully you get a little lucky too.

Also just an FYI...the bike can go right over a rabbit the size of a small dog...learned this last night. Again just dont panic!

When I'm leaned over in sport mode.

I tell myself to lift my chin.

It forces me to take the focus off being in the curve and puts my focus on the horizon/exit.

Then I just let the bike take me where I'm looking.

:)

It might sound weird until you've tried it.

Looking 5 feet in front of your wheel is the fast lane off the pavement.

The only tip I have is one I always think of in any emergency situation and that is... DON'T PANIC. Keep your wits about you and rely on your skills...and hopefully you get a little lucky too.
Also just an FYI...the bike can go right over a rabbit the size of a small dog...learned this last night. Again just dont panic!

I hear that! Did that on my Vgo two weekends ago. Little rough, but went right over.