How Far on Reserve

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSource

Reaction score
Now that I'm one of the few, the proud, the FJR-ers, I have no reserve valve, or any gas valve for that matter.

There is only a smart, slick, savvy little odometer trick, that tells me I'm nearing the end, and how many miles I have

gone since the brains of this noble beast has determined me to have EXACTLY 1.32 US Gallons.

I am a bit shy about "reserves" since being in the middle of Cumberland Sound (South Georgia - the largest shark breeding ground on the East coast :unsure: ) on a Sea -Doo and having my total "reserve" to move me about 100 yards. Thanks to a riding partner and always carrying a rope, I was quickly moved back to the top of the food chain.

Anyhow, my question to you is, How many miles have YOU pushed it in reserve mode? Have you run her dry completely?

I ride an 07 FJR. When I get to the last bar on the fuel guage I have 15 miles before it starts blinking at me and I am starting on reserve. The most I have ridden on reserve is 46 miles and that was because In eastern Colorado there may be a small town on the map but it may not have a gas station and the next small town may not either. :dribble:

Mac

I've gone over 40 miles three times now (running a big windscreen). The last time, I went 43 and put in 6.3 gallons. Way too close for comfort, IMHO.

Wow,

Took 6.3 gallons that is pushing it.

I usually go around 30 miles and have never had to add even 6 gallons.

WW

I have put 51 miles on the F-trip, 6.1 gals in the tank.

It was sputtering too and it's probably not a good idea to run it that low.

i went to 40 once. then parked it to go inside to pick something up. Had the bike on a hill resting on the sidestand. Came back out, bike wouldnt start. Added a smidge from a lawnmower container, and off i went. Lesson learned: if you gonna push it, dont stop untill your somewhere you can get fuel.

greygoose

goose, if you lean the scoot over to the right side(do it next to a tree)you can get fuel to the pump for them extra last miles.

100730404-L.jpg

Put in 6.2.

Fast roads.

I usually don't dick around with getting gas and have never gone past 20 miles once that booger starts counting down.

too many variables.

- temperature

- altitude

- throttle control

- throttle opening

- head/tail/side wind

- oxygenated fuel

- tire psi

- tread design

- total load

- windshield up/down

- farkles in the air stream